Connect with us

Politics

Bank of America agrees to pay $72.5m to settle Epstein sex-trafficking suit

Published

on

Bank of America agrees to pay .5m to settle Epstein sex-trafficking suit


US financier Jeffrey Epstein appears in a photograph taken for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services sex offender registry, March 28, 2017, and obtained by Reuters July 10, 2019. — Reuters
US financier Jeffrey Epstein appears in a photograph taken for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services’ sex offender registry, March 28, 2017, and obtained by Reuters July 10, 2019. — Reuters

WASHINGTON: Bank of America has agreed to pay $72.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging that the bank facilitated a sex trafficking ring orchestrated by Jeffrey Epstein, court documents showed Friday.

Bank of America said separately that while it continued to deny supporting Epstein’s crimes, “this resolution allows us to put this matter behind us and provides further closure for the plaintiffs.”

The suit, filed by an unidentified woman on behalf of herself and other alleged victims, claimed the bank’s executives “ignored red flags” about Epstein’s sex trafficking venture to provide him with banking and investment services.

The settlement, if approved in court, would avoid a potentially lengthy trial process and was deemed to be in the “best interests” of the plaintiffs.

The Bank of America building is shown in downtown Los Angeles, California, US, March 6, 2017.  — Reuters
The Bank of America building is shown in downtown Los Angeles, California, US, March 6, 2017. — Reuters

It was the latest bank to settle lawsuits from Epstein’s alleged victims, after a $75 million agreement by JP Morgan and a reported $75 million payment by Deutsche Bank, both in 2023.

Epstein, a billionaire hedge fund manager with a bevy of powerful and celebrity friends, was charged with sex trafficking of minors after being arrested in July 2019.

He had already been convicted in 2008 of soliciting sex from girls as young as 14.

Epstein committed suicide while being held at Manhattan’s Metropolitan Correctional Centre in August 2019.

His case has remained politically charged, with continuing disputes over the release of investigative records and the extent of his network.

The US Justice Department’s release of millions of files related to prosecutors’ investigations of Epstein in recent months has embroiled several high-profile executives and politicians.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr’s wedding

Published

on

Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr’s wedding


US President Donald Trump and his son Donald Trump Jr. arrive at the White House in Washington, DC, US, May 3, 2026. — Reuters
US President Donald Trump and his son Donald Trump Jr. arrive at the White House in Washington, DC, US, May 3, 2026. — Reuters

US President Donald Trump on Friday said he won’t be attending the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Junior, to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson because he has to stay in Washington for government business.

“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Junior, and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.

“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, DC, at the White House during this important period of time,” the post continued.

Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jrs wedding

The wedding is taking place this weekend on a small island in the Bahamas, CNN reported on Thursday, citing two people familiar with the plans. A spokesperson for Donald Trump Jr did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Trump told reporters on Thursday that Donald Trump Jr wanted his father to attend, but that it was going to be a “small private affair.”

Trump said then he would try to make the wedding but the timing was bad for him.

“I have a thing called Iran and other things,” Trump said on Thursday.

The Trump administration is currently engaged in diplomatic talks mediated by Pakistan aimed at securing a deal to end the war with Iran the US and Israel began on February 28 which has roiled the global economy.

This is the third time Donald Trump Jr has been engaged. He was previously married to Vanessa, a former model and actress, for 12 years and the couple has five children together. Vanessa filed for a divorce in 2018. He was later engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, a US television personality, until they separated in 2024.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Tulsi Gabbard resigns as Trump’s top US intelligence official

Published

on

Tulsi Gabbard resigns as Trump’s top US intelligence official


Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Tulsi Gabbard testifies before a US House Intelligence Committee hearing on worldwide threats, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, March 19, 2026. — Reuters
Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Tulsi Gabbard testifies before a US House Intelligence Committee hearing on worldwide threats, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, March 19, 2026. — Reuters
  • Gabbard cites rare bone cancer in husband as reason for exit.
  • Trump accepts resignation, praises her service in Truth Social post.
  • Aaron Lukas named acting Director of National Intelligence.

Tulsi Gabbard said on Friday she is resigning from her job as President Donald Trump’s director of national intelligence, saying her husband had been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer and that she was stepping away from her role to help him.

Gabbard advised Trump of her intention to step down during an Oval Office meeting on Friday, Fox News Digital reported earlier. The resignation is effective June 30, it said.

A source familiar with the matter said that Gabbard had been forced out by the White House.

In her resignation letter posted on X, Gabbard told Trump she was “deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half.”

She cited her husband’s recent diagnosis with a rare form of bone cancer.

“I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming post,” she said.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, Aaron Lukas, would serve as acting director of national intelligence.

He said Gabbard had done “a great job” but with her husband diagnosed with bone cancer, “she, rightfully, wants to be with him, bringing him back to good health as they currently fight a tough battle together.”

Trump has hinted in the past at differences with Gabbard on their approach to Iran, saying in March that she was “softer” than him on curbing Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Return to your countries to apply

Published

on

Return to your countries to apply


People stand on the steps of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services offices in New York. — Reuters/File
People stand on the steps of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services offices in New York. — Reuters/File
  • USCIS announces move in policy memo.
  • New policy to free up agency to work on other cases: USCIS
  • Latest step part of Trump’s policy to tighten migration laws.

Foreigners seeking to adjust their immigration status in the United States to secure green cards will have to do so from outside the country via the State Department, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services said on Friday, in a move criticised by aid groups.

USCIS announced the move in a policy memo, which directed officers to consider relevant factors and information on a case-by-case basis when determining whether extraordinary relief is warranted.

“An alien who is in the US temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply,” said the US Department of Homeland Security, which has oversight of USCIS.

“This policy allows our immigration system to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes.”

The USCIS said the new policy will free up agency resources to focus on processing other cases.

HIAS, an aid group that provides services to refugees, among other groups of immigrants, said USCIS was forcing survivors of trafficking and abused and neglected children to return to the dangerous countries they fled in order to process their applications for green cards, granting them permanent residency in the US.

Friday’s policy change is the latest in a series of steps taken by US President Donald Trump over the last year to tighten migration to the United States.

Last year, the Trump administration moved to shorten the duration of visas for students, cultural exchange visitors and members of the media.

In January, the State Department announced that it had revoked more than 100,000 visas since Trump took office the year before.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending