Politics
Bank of America agrees to pay $72.5m to settle Epstein sex-trafficking suit

WASHINGTON: Bank of America has agreed to pay $72.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging that the bank facilitated a sex trafficking ring orchestrated by Jeffrey Epstein, court documents showed Friday.
Bank of America said separately that while it continued to deny supporting Epstein’s crimes, “this resolution allows us to put this matter behind us and provides further closure for the plaintiffs.”
The suit, filed by an unidentified woman on behalf of herself and other alleged victims, claimed the bank’s executives “ignored red flags” about Epstein’s sex trafficking venture to provide him with banking and investment services.
The settlement, if approved in court, would avoid a potentially lengthy trial process and was deemed to be in the “best interests” of the plaintiffs.

It was the latest bank to settle lawsuits from Epstein’s alleged victims, after a $75 million agreement by JP Morgan and a reported $75 million payment by Deutsche Bank, both in 2023.
Epstein, a billionaire hedge fund manager with a bevy of powerful and celebrity friends, was charged with sex trafficking of minors after being arrested in July 2019.
He had already been convicted in 2008 of soliciting sex from girls as young as 14.
Epstein committed suicide while being held at Manhattan’s Metropolitan Correctional Centre in August 2019.
His case has remained politically charged, with continuing disputes over the release of investigative records and the extent of his network.
The US Justice Department’s release of millions of files related to prosecutors’ investigations of Epstein in recent months has embroiled several high-profile executives and politicians.
Politics
Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr’s wedding

US President Donald Trump on Friday said he won’t be attending the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Junior, to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson because he has to stay in Washington for government business.
“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Junior, and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.
“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, DC, at the White House during this important period of time,” the post continued.
The wedding is taking place this weekend on a small island in the Bahamas, CNN reported on Thursday, citing two people familiar with the plans. A spokesperson for Donald Trump Jr did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Trump told reporters on Thursday that Donald Trump Jr wanted his father to attend, but that it was going to be a “small private affair.”
Trump said then he would try to make the wedding but the timing was bad for him.
“I have a thing called Iran and other things,” Trump said on Thursday.
The Trump administration is currently engaged in diplomatic talks mediated by Pakistan aimed at securing a deal to end the war with Iran the US and Israel began on February 28 which has roiled the global economy.
This is the third time Donald Trump Jr has been engaged. He was previously married to Vanessa, a former model and actress, for 12 years and the couple has five children together. Vanessa filed for a divorce in 2018. He was later engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, a US television personality, until they separated in 2024.
Politics
Return to your countries to apply

- USCIS announces move in policy memo.
- New policy to free up agency to work on other cases: USCIS
- Latest step part of Trump’s policy to tighten migration laws.
Foreigners seeking to adjust their immigration status in the United States to secure green cards will have to do so from outside the country via the State Department, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services said on Friday, in a move criticised by aid groups.
USCIS announced the move in a policy memo, which directed officers to consider relevant factors and information on a case-by-case basis when determining whether extraordinary relief is warranted.
“An alien who is in the US temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply,” said the US Department of Homeland Security, which has oversight of USCIS.
“This policy allows our immigration system to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes.”
The USCIS said the new policy will free up agency resources to focus on processing other cases.
HIAS, an aid group that provides services to refugees, among other groups of immigrants, said USCIS was forcing survivors of trafficking and abused and neglected children to return to the dangerous countries they fled in order to process their applications for green cards, granting them permanent residency in the US.
Friday’s policy change is the latest in a series of steps taken by US President Donald Trump over the last year to tighten migration to the United States.
Last year, the Trump administration moved to shorten the duration of visas for students, cultural exchange visitors and members of the media.
In January, the State Department announced that it had revoked more than 100,000 visas since Trump took office the year before.
Politics
German president condemns US-Israeli aggression against Iran as ‘unnecessary war’

German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has taken a strong and principled stance against the illegal joint military aggression by the United States and the Israeli regime on the Islamic Republic of Iran, describing the conflict as a “truly avoidable, unnecessary war.”
Steinmeier on Thursday highlighted how the unilateral destruction by the Trump administration of the 2015 nuclear agreement paved the way for the current escalation and instability in the West Asian region.
According to German media, Steinmeier made the remarks during a major address to German diplomats and at an event marking the 75th anniversary of the German Foreign Office.
He directly addressed the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), stating it would have been better if that agreement had been preserved, and emphasized: “If the 2015 agreement with Iran had been preserved, it would have been possible to prevent the consequences we are currently witnessing.”
Steinmeier, who was personally involved in negotiating the JCPOA as foreign minister, bluntly called the war “a politically disastrous mistake” and a “politically fatal error.”
The German president noted that the US justification for its aggression “does not hold water” and constitutes a clear violation of international law.
Steinmeier told diplomats that maintaining the JCPOA had delivered real progress toward stability, while the US withdrawal under President Trump in his first term and the subsequent military adventure in his second have led to precisely the dangerous situation Iran had long warned against.
President Steinmeier’s remarks represent a significant crack in the Western facade of support for the US-Israeli alliance.
By openly admitting the war was avoidable and that preserving the JCPOA could have prevented today’s crisis, the German head of state has effectively validated the Islamic Republic’s consistent position. Tehran says that diplomacy and respect for Iran’s sovereign rights, not sanctions and bombs, are the path to regional peace and security.
The German president’s candid intervention is further evidence of the growing international isolation of the aggressors.
The Islamic Republic has always fulfilled its JCPOA commitments, as repeatedly confirmed by the IAEA, while the Zionist regime and Washington have repeatedly violated the agreement and international law through assassinations, sabotage, and now outright military aggression.
-
Entertainment6 days agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Entertainment1 week agoEmilia Clarke recalls near-death incident while filming ‘Game of Thrones’
-
Business1 week agoJersey Election 2026: Cost of living concern in St Helier Central
-
Politics6 days agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Politics1 week agoUK’s Starmer faces survival battle as potential rivals circle
-
Tech1 week agoGreg Brockman Officially Takes Control of OpenAI’s Products in Latest Shakeup
-
Entertainment1 week agoDrake drops highly anticipated "Iceman" album, plus two surprise albums
-
Politics1 week agoTrump says China will order 200 Boeing jets
