Entertainment
Alleged mastermind behind Young Dolph’s killing is 2nd to stand trial in Memphis shooting

The trial of a man charged with organizing the daytime ambush killing of rapper Young Dolph at a Memphis bakery in November 2021 began on Monday.
Hernandez Govan, 45, faces charges of first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and attempted murder. He is not accused of shooting Young Dolph, but prosecutors claim he directed the two people who did. He rejected the state’s offer to settle with a guilty plea last month, CBS affiliate WREG reported.
Young Dolph, whose legal name is Adolph Thornton Jr., was a rapper, independent label owner and producer who grew up in Memphis and was admired in the city for his charitable works. The 36-year-old was in his hometown to hand out Thanksgiving turkeys to families when his visit to his favorite cookie shop turned into an attack that shocked the entertainment world.
Mark Weber/Daily Memphian via AP, Pool
City officials and community activists pointed to the killing as a symbol of the dangers of gun violence in Memphis, where more than 300 homicides were reported that year.
Memphis prosecutors have portrayed the killing as part an effort by Anthony “Big Jook” Mims to get revenge on Young Dolph for diss tracks aimed at Big Jook and the record label he helped run for his brother, Yo Gotti.
Big Jook was shot and killed outside a restaurant earlier this year.
Testifying against Govan on Monday was Cornelius Smith Jr., who has admitted to being one of the two shooters who ambushed Young Dolph. Smith previously was the main witness against Justin Johnson, who was convicted of first-degree murder in 2024 after Smith named him as the second shooter. Smith had previously testified that Big Jook put out a $100,000 hit on Young Dolph, as well as smaller bounties on all the artists at Young Dolph’s record label, Paper Route Empire.
Smith is charged with murder and conspiracy to commit murder but has pleaded not guilty and does not yet have a trial date. Johnson was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in September 2024. He was later sentenced for two other convictions from the trial: conspiracy to commit murder and being a felon in possession of a gun.
Smith testified on Monday that “I didn’t know anything about Paper Route having no hits,” before Govan told him about them. He said Govan hired him to “do the hits” and was going to take $10,000 as his cut. Govan was also the person who told him and Johnson that Young Dolph would be in Memphis for the volunteer event, so “that’s our opportunity,” Smith said.
Meanwhile, Govan’s defense attorney, Manny Arora, tried to paint Smith as an unreliable witness who would say anything to try to get a lighter sentence.
Arora pointed to previous testimony where Smith recalled a chance encounter with Big Jook. At the time, Smith implied that Big Jook was the person who hired him. After Smith was arrested, his attorney called Big Jook’s attorney and received somewhere between $38,000 and $50,000 in cash. Smith said Monday that he did not know who had supplied the money.
Smith also testified that he previously heard that Govan might be working with the FBI. Arora asked why Smith would take a job from Govan if that were the case. Smith said that Govan was “innocent until proven guilty.”
Young Dolph began his career by releasing numerous mixtapes. His studio albums include his 2016 debut, “King of Memphis.” He also collaborated on other mixtapes and albums with fellow rappers Key Glock, Megan Thee Stallion, T.I., Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz and others. Young Dolph had three albums reach the top 10 on the Billboard 200, with 2020′s “Rich Slave” peaking at No. 4.
He was among the musical stars that The Grammy Awards paid tribute to during its memoriam segment at the 2022 awards.
In a 2024 interview with The Associated Press, Carlisa Brown, Young Dolph’s sister, called her brother’s killing a “very senseless murder” and added that his family wants everyone involved to get the justice they deserve.
The attack that killed the rapper wasn’t the first time he was targeted. In 2017, Young Dolph was approached by three men and shot over “beef,” according to the Los Angeles Police Department. He was critically injured but survived. Earlier that same year, he was involved in another shooting, where at least 100 bullets were fired at his SUV.
Entertainment
Why did famous director decline to make ‘Terminator 3’?

Jonathan Mostow served as the director of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, but before him, Ridley Scott was supposedly offered to helm.
According to the director’s claim, the studio put a hefty $20 million on the table for him to direct it, which was equivalent to Arnold Schwarzenger’s fees at the time, who was one of the highest-paid actors.
However, the Alien filmmaker, in a recent interview with The Guardian, stated that he declined the offer.
“I can’t be bought,” he said, admitting to being surprised the studio offered him the fee, which he asked was what the franchise’s lead star was getting. “I thought: ‘**** me.’ But I couldn’t do it. It’s not my thing.”

However, passing down on the offer also had to do with his filming style, which he described by giving an example of a James Bond movie.
“The essence of a Bond movie is fun and camp. Terminator is pure comic strip,” he said. “I would try to make it real,” he shared.
“That’s why they’ve never asked me to do a Bond movie, because I would **** it up,” the director said.
Ridley, at the end, confirmed that he is working on a third film in the Gladiator series.
Entertainment
Sabrina Carpenter hoping to make her dream come true: Source

Sabrina Carpenter reportedly is eyeing a role in the next Mamma Mia movie.
According to Star Magazine, the 26-year-old pop sensation, secretly has been hoping to join the hit ABBA-inspired franchise.
“Sabrina’s been obsessed with ABBA since she was a little girl,” tipped a source.
They went on to address, “So it’s no exaggeration to say this would be a dream come true for her.”
For those unversed, The Espresso hitmaker has already brought her ABBA love to the stage, performing classics such as Dancing Queen during her set while opening for Taylor Swift on the Eras Tour.
However, the insider noted that while Carpenter “really wants” the part, she’s managing her expectations.
“She’s trying not to get ahead of herself. She’s trusting that if it’s meant for her, it will happen.”
Whether or not she lands Mamma Mia, Hollywood seems ready to give Carpenter her big-screen moment.
“She’s definitely going to be on the big screen soon because Hollywood is very interested,” the source added.
“She’s already proven she can act, but she’s not resting on her laurels; she’s been studying with a great coach.”
Producer Judy Craymer even weighed in on the idea, telling Deadline in May that Carpenter “would be a goddess or some relation who would look very much like Meryl Streep” if she were to join the beloved franchise.
Entertainment
Matthew Rhys opens up about his struggle for ‘The Beast in Me’

Matthew Rhys recently revealed he had to convince The Beast in Me team that he could pull off being creepy.
In a talk with Entertainment Weekly, the 50-year-old Welsh actor admitted when he read the script of Netflix’s show, The Beast in Me, he thought the role of Nile Jarvis, a real estate tycoon suspected of killing his wife, was out of his reach.
Sharing his thoughts, Rhys said, “I read it and I was like, ‘I won’t get this. People don’t come to me for this.’ I have these Celtic eyes. I do downtrodden well, I don’t do megalomaniac or sociopath.”
Moreover, the show’s creator, Howard Gordon, went on to offer his thoughts on The Edge of Love star’s audition, noting he could not get a chance to depict a role of sociopath or megalomaniac before.
“He brought something else to it. He’s so charming and funny and charismatic. But he is scary,” Gordon confessed.
“I had to persuade them that I can be creepy,” Rhys quipped and added with a joke that he ‘parked outside’ cast member Claire Danes’ residence to prove his point, saying, “That seemed to do it.”
For the unversed, in The Beast in Me, Danes plays Aggie Wiggs, an author who cannot write after her young son’s death. When Nile moves in next door and wants a running path, Wiggs argues with him, until she thinks he might be the “perfect subject” for her next book.
It is pertinent to mention that The Beast in Me is slated to be released on November 13, 2025.
-
Business1 week ago
RSS Feed Generator, Create RSS feeds from URL
-
Tech1 week ago
Korea develops core radar components for stealth technology
-
Fashion1 week ago
Tariff pressure casts shadow on Gujarat’s textile landscape
-
Fashion1 week ago
Rent the Runway to swap debt for equity in revival effort
-
Fashion1 week ago
US retailers split on holiday prospects amid consumer caution
-
Tech1 week ago
Qi2’s Magnetic Wireless Charging Finally Arrives on Android
-
Sports1 week ago
Dan Quinn says Terry McLaurin is healthy, ‘closer’ to Commanders return
-
Tech2 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series