Connect with us

Entertainment

China says to launch digital currency action plan

Published

on

China says to launch digital currency action plan


China’s official app for digital yuan is seen on a mobile phone next to 100-yuan banknotes in this illustration picture.— Reuters

China will on January 1 launch an “action plan” for boosting management and operations of its digital currency, a deputy governor of the country’s central bank said Monday.

“The future digital yuan will be a modern digital payment and circulation means issued and circulated within the financial system,” People’s Bank of China (PBoC) Deputy Governor Lu Lei wrote in Financial News, a media outlet under the central bank.

In the next step towards that goal, a “new generation” arrangement for digital yuan will be launched on January 1, Lu said, encompassing a “measurement framework, management system, operating mechanism and ecosystem”.

The “action plan” will see banks pay interest on balances held by clients in digital yuan—a move to incentivise broader adoption of the currency.

The plan also includes a proposal to establish an international digital yuan operations centre in the eastern financial hub of Shanghai, the report said.

Monetary authorities around the world have in recent years been exploring ways to digitalise currencies, propelled by a boom in online payments during the pandemic and the increased popularity of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin.

The PBoC has been working on a digital currency since 2014 and has been testing the use of a “digital yuan” or “e-CNY” in various pilot programmes.

Consumers across the country already widely use mobile and online payments, but the digital yuan could allow the central bank — rather than the big tech giants — access to more data and control over payments.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

YouTube turns off video comments and descriptions, perhaps in fight against ad blockers

Published

on

YouTube turns off video comments and descriptions, perhaps in fight against ad blockers


YouTube turns off video comments and descriptions, perhaps in fight against ad blockers

Getting utterly annoyed with ads while watching YouTube videos is something you must have undoubtedly faced, let’s suppose, but the real deal is how you get around this pain point.

Since the paid YouTube Premium subscription is apparently a costly way to skip those ads, the most likely and off the top of one’s head workaround is deploying an ad blocker, using which is what appears to have started disrupting the YouTube experience, as reported by some users on Reddit.

Some even shared screenshots depicting videos with comments turned off, perhaps owing to the use of ad blockers. This is something Google strongly advises against.

While unfortunate, this happening explicitly conveys that using workarounds gets you out of one problem and straight into another.

To vent out their frustration about the mysterious disappearance of video comments and descriptions, many users took to Reddit and other forums. 

While it is definitely triggered by ad blocker use, even though unconfirmed, some tech geeks nevertheless tried their hand, debating whether Google—being one of the richest corporations—should have this ad thing in place, or it is something that’s needed to keep the platform running and supporting Google’s cash outflow to creators in royalties.

—Screengrab taken from Reddit
—Screengrab taken from Reddit

Although chances are good that YouTube is deliberately disabling comments and descriptions whenever it detects an ad blocker in use, another possibility is such tools’ innate tendency to remove descriptions and comments from videos.

What needs to be noted here is that this isn’t the first time ad blockers have become a headache on the platform. Creators last year noticed a sharp decline in view counts. That happened because views from users with ad blockers were not being counted.

Google has even purportedly been resorting to slowing down playback speeds or blocking access straight away for those using ad-blocking tools.

While the absence of comments isn’t the worst thing Google could have done, it would surely hurt the community aspect of YouTube, since comments are crucial for engaging with creators, and many creators rely on ad revenue to support their work.

If at all, it seems like a losing battle for Google, and thus the ongoing cat-and-mouse game between ad blockers and platforms like YouTube will likely continue, with issues popping up and getting fixed, only to resurface again.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Gordon Ramsay admits parenting regrets in emotional Netflix docuseries

Published

on

Gordon Ramsay admits parenting regrets in emotional Netflix docuseries


He says he sometimes prioritised work over being there for his four eldest children

Gordon Ramsay shared his parenting regrets, admitting he missed the  essence of fatherhood in his new Netflix show.

The Netflix docuseries titled Being Gordon Ramsay has just landed on the streaming platform, allowing viewers to peek behind the curtain of his life.

In the first episode of the docuseries, Gordon opened up about his troubled childhood with his alcoholic dad, Gordon. 

In the show, the TV personality, 59, also admits his own parenting regrets.

He says he sometimes prioritised work over being there for his four eldest children; daughter Megan, 27, twins Holly and Jack 26, and Tilly, 24.

He says: ‘I, sadly, had a torrid relationship with my father. My father called me a snob once. And I said, “No, definitely not a snob. I just want to get out of the s**t mess I was born in.’

For those unversed, Gordon juggled three jobs to support his family and lived in 15 different council estates growing up.

The chef recalls weekends where he would ‘almost watch his father ruin his life through alcohol’.

He continues: ‘It’s hard, isn’t it, when someone’s an alcoholic? It’s very hard to relate to that, because you’re just … you’re nervous.

‘You’re worried about, you know, hitting the end of the bottle and seeing that bottle of Bacardi disappear, because you know what happens at the end of that.’

However, Gordon turned to cooking after his football career was short due to a knee injury.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Shia LaBeouf released hours after arrest for alleged assault

Published

on

Shia LaBeouf released hours after arrest for alleged assault


Shia LaBeouf released hours after arrest for alleged assault

American actor and filmmaker Shia LaBeouf was released Tuesday, hours after he was arrested for allegedly assaulting two men.

The 39-year-old Even Stevens star was detained by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) early Tuesday, February 17, 2026, at around 12:45 a.m. after two men reported they were assaulted by the actor.

NOPD responded to a scene in the 1400 block of Royal Street and identified the 2003 Daytime Emmy Award winner as the man causing “a disturbance and becoming increasingly aggressive inside a Royal Street business.”

Police said LaBeouf was told to leave by a staff member; however, he became increasingly aggressive and struck the employee multiple times.

After the alleged unprovoked attack, he left the scene. He then came back and started hitting the same person again as people tried to hold him back.

LaBeouf then hit another man on the nose, who was later transported to the hospital. The extent of victims’ injuries remains unknown.

LaBeouf is facing two charges of simple battery.

The Orleans Parish Records show LaBeouf appeared virtually in court at noon Tuesday and was released on condition that he will attend all future court hearings.

His next court hearing is scheduled for March 19, 2026. 





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending