Connect with us

Business

China’s Exports Decline for First Time in Eight Months – SUCH TV

Published

on

China’s Exports Decline for First Time in Eight Months – SUCH TV



China’s exports fell in October for the first time in eight months, official data showed Friday, as trade tensions simmered ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s meeting with US President Donald Trump.

Shipments dropped 1.1 percent year-on-year, missing a Bloomberg forecast that had predicted a 2.9 percent rise.

Meanwhile, imports rose 1.0 percent, below September’s reading and short of the 2.7 percent increase expected by analysts, according to China’s General Administration of Customs.

The decline comes as China and the US reached a temporary detente in their trade war following Xi and Trump’s meeting in South Korea at the end of October.

The leaders agreed to suspend a range of tariffs and trade measures for a year, putting a temporary pause on months of tit-for-tat actions.

In the weeks leading up to the meeting, Beijing had imposed new restrictions on rare earth exports, a critical sector for defense and automotive industries.

In response, Trump threatened a 100 percent tariff on additional Chinese goods, though the plan was later scrapped after the summit, which Trump described as a “great success.”

Under the agreement, Washington halved tariffs on Chinese goods to 10 percent, while Beijing eased rare earth restrictions and lifted additional tariffs on US agricultural products, including soybeans, providing relief to American farmers.

Data showed China’s imports from the US fell 11.6 percent month-on-month in October, while its exports to the US rose 1.8 percent.

Economists noted that Chinese exporters had been frontloading trade to avoid higher US tariffs.

The country’s shipments to the US jumped 8.6 percent in September from August after falling 11.8 percent on-month from July.

“It seems the frontloading finally faded in October. As the trade war is put on hold for one year, exports will likely normalise,” Zhang said.

But, he warned: “Now that export momentum weakens, China needs to rely more on domestic demand.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

RBI sees no signs of excess credit risk, keeps countercyclical capital buffer inactive

Published

on

RBI sees no signs of excess credit risk, keeps countercyclical capital buffer inactive


The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Monday decided against activating the countercyclical capital buffer (CCyB), indicating that current financial and credit conditions do not warrant an additional capital requirement for banks, PTI reported.The central bank said the decision followed a review and empirical assessment of indicators used under the CCyB framework.“Based on review and empirical analysis of CCyB indicators, it has been decided that it is not necessary to activate CCyB at this point in time,” RBI said in a statement.Under the RBI (Commercial Banks – Prudential Norms on Capital Adequacy) Directions, 2025, the CCyB framework is activated when financial conditions indicate rising systemic risks linked to excessive credit growth.The framework primarily relies on the credit-to-GDP gap as a key indicator, along with supplementary metrics.According to the RBI, the CCyB mechanism is intended to serve two broad objectives.Firstly, it requires a bank to build up a buffer of capital in good times, which may be used to maintain the flow of credit to the real sector in difficult times.Secondly, it achieves the broader macro-prudential goal of restricting the banking sector from indiscriminate lending in the periods of excess credit growth that have often been associated with the building up of system-wide risk.The framework was introduced globally after the 2008 financial crisis as part of measures proposed by the Group of Central Bank Governors and Heads of Supervision (GHOS) under the Basel framework to strengthen financial system resilience.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Ford boss hints at return of Fiesta as an electric model

Published

on

Ford boss hints at return of Fiesta as an electric model



The company has announced plans to build seven new models in Europe including a small electric hatchback.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but ‘risks’ remain

Published

on

UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but ‘risks’ remain


“Today’s policymaking is constrained by a more volatile external environment with more frequent and overlapping shocks, a rising public interest bill, in part reflecting market concerns with countries’ elevated debt, and the long-standing challenge of weak productivity growth,” he said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending