Business
Disney says ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ will return to ABC on Tuesday
Disney plans to bring “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” back to air on ABC’s broadcast network beginning on Tuesday, the company said in a statement.
The decision was announced nearly a week after ABC said it was suspending the late night show indefinitely. The network had pulled the show days after the host made comments linking the alleged killer of conservative activist Charlie Kirk to President Donald Trump’s MAGA movement.
“Last Wednesday, we made the decision to suspend production on the show to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country. It is a decision we made because we felt some of the comments were ill-timed and thus insensitive,” Disney said in a statement Monday. “We have spent the last days having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy, and after those conversations, we reached the decision to return the show on Tuesday.”
The late night host will address the matter during his show set to be taped on Tuesday, according to a person familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters.
Following days of discussions, Disney CEO Bob Iger and Dana Walden, co-chair of Disney Entertainment, made the decision to return the show to air, the person said. The two executives informed Kimmel on Monday, the person added.
Local station owners learned of the show’s return on Monday when Disney made the public announcement, according to two people familiar with the matter.
Jimmy Kimmel at the Disney Advertising Upfront on Tuesday, May 13, 2025.
Michael Le Brecht | Disney General Entertainment Content | Getty Images
Broadcast pushback
“Jimmy Kimmel Live!” was suspended after Nexstar Media Group, which owns more than 200 broadcast TV stations across the U.S., announced its stations affiliated with ABC would preempt Kimmel’s show. Sinclair, another large broadcast TV station owner, similarly threatened to preempt the program.
Sinclair said in a release last week that it would not lift the suspension on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” until it had formal discussions with ABC “regarding the network’s commitment to professionalism and accountability.”
As of Monday evening, a Sinclair representative said the company still planned to preempt the broadcast.
“Beginning Tuesday night, Sinclair will be preempting Jimmy Kimmel Live! across our ABC affiliate stations and replacing it with news programming,” according to a statement from Sinclair. “Discussions with ABC are ongoing as we evaluate the show’s potential return.”
Sinclair owns and operates nearly 40 ABC-affiliate stations across the U.S., including one in Washington, D.C., according to its website.
A Nexstar representative didn’t comment on the matter.
Kimmel said during his monologue last Monday that the “MAGA gang” was “desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them and doing everything they can to score political points from it.”
“In between the finger-pointing there was grieving. On Friday the White House flew the flags at half-staff, which got some criticism, but on a human level you can see how hard the president is taking this,” he continued, teeing up a clip of Trump on the White House lawn in which the president fields a question on Kirk but swiftly pivots to talking about construction.
Immediately following ABC’s suspension of the show, everyone from entertainers to politicians weighed in on whether Kimmel should return to air, and whether the incident should affect station owners’ broadcast licenses.
Federal Communications Commission Chair Brendan Carr had suggested ABC’s broadcast license was at risk in light of Kimmel’s comments, telling CNBC last week, “we’re not done yet” with changes to the media landscape.
Trump suggested the federal government might revoke broadcast station licenses for the networks that are “against” him.
The FCC didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.
Networks like ABC are part of a system that requires them to obtain over-the-air spectrum licenses from the federal government in order to broadcast across local stations. Since the networks are free to air over public spectrum — meaning anyone with an antenna can watch them — they must by law operate in “the public interest.”
Both Nexstar and Sinclair are currently looking to do deals that would require regulatory approval.
Nexstar recently announced a proposed $6.2 billion deal to merge with fellow broadcast station owner Tegna, a deal that would upend longstanding regulations for the industry on how many stations a parent company can own.
And Sinclair said in August it’s exploring merger options for its broadcast business, though it has yet to reach an agreement.
Political pressure
Kimmel’s suspension drew comparisons to CBS’s cancellation of “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” in July and raised questions about the protection of free speech in a Trump-era broadcast environment.
Trump’s scrutiny of media companies has intensified during his second term marked by high-profile defamation lawsuits, the defunding of public broadcasters and regulatory interference from the FCC. He’s particularly singled out ABC and NBC for what he called “unfair coverage of Republicans and/or Conservatives.”
Current and former late show hosts rallied behind Kimmel after his suspension and said the president’s influence amounted to censorship. Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner blasted the FCC’s “intimidation” of ABC.
A letter organized by the American Civil Liberties Union, signed by more than 400 people including Hollywood stars and artists, backed Kimmel, saying his suspension marked a “dark moment for freedom of speech in our nation.”
Meanwhile, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas criticized the FCC’s Carr for his comments related to the suspension of Kimmel.
And on Monday, New York City mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani withdrew from an upcoming town hall on an ABC affiliate in protest of the network’s suspension of Kimmel.
Disclosure: Comcast is the parent company of NBCUniversal, which owns CNBC. Versant would become the new parent company of CNBC upon Comcast’s planned spinoff of Versant.
Business
Indians cut overseas travel spending to $1.9 billion in March: RBI
Indians sharply cut back on overseas travel spending in March, with remittances for foreign trips dropping by more than $212 million from the previous month, according to Reserve Bank of India data. The fall in outbound travel expenditure came amid rising oil prices linked to the Middle East conflict and persistent pressure on rupee, even as travel remained the single largest component of outward remittances under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS).In March, travel-related remittances fell to $1.09 billion from $1.3 billion in February and $1.65 billion in January. The decline came at a time when the West Asia conflict pushed oil prices higher and weakened rupee to record lows. Amid the situation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged citizens to cut down on foreign travel and adopt measures such as carpooling. Lower overseas travel spending could reduce foreign exchange outflows and help ease pressure on rupee.According to the RBI’s data on outward remittances by resident individuals, travel continued to account for the largest share of money sent abroad under the LRS in March. Total remittances during the month stood at $2.59 billion.The RBI tracks overseas spending across categories including travel, studies abroad, maintenance of close relatives, overseas investments, and property purchases. Under the LRS framework, resident individuals, including minors, can remit up to $250,000 in a financial year for permitted current or capital account transactions.Within the travel segment, the biggest component remained the ‘other travel’ category, which covers holiday spending and international credit card settlements. Indians spent $623.05 million under this category in March, accounting for nearly 57 per cent of total travel-related remittances during the month.Expenditure linked to education travel, including hostel and fee payments, stood at $450.16 million. Business travel, pilgrimage, and overseas medical treatment together accounted for $21.39 million.The data also showed a rise in remittances meant for the maintenance of close relatives abroad. Such transfers increased to $389.78 million in March from $266.18 million in February.At the same time, spending under the ‘studies abroad’ category declined. This category includes payments made for educational services accessed remotely without travelling overseas, such as correspondence courses. Remittances under this head stood at $151.71 million in March, compared to $175.68 million in February and $267.42 million in January.For the financial year 2024-25, Indians remitted a total of $29.56 billion under the LRS. Travel made up the largest portion of this amount at $16.96 billion.The RBI figures further showed that investments by Indians in overseas equity and debt instruments rose significantly to $440.22 million in March from $265.99 million in February.Meanwhile, outward remittances for the purchase of immovable property overseas declined to $38.68 million in March, down from $51.36 million a month earlier.
Business
Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street
Dalal Street is heading into the new trading week with global uncertainty firmly in focus, as investors keep a close watch on the evolving situation in the Middle East, fluctuations in crude oil prices and the behaviour of foreign investors. Analysts said that sentiment is likely to remain fragile and heavily influenced by developments in negotiations between the United States and Iran, while movements in the rupee, global equities and the US dollar are also expected to shape market direction in the days ahead.Trading activity during the week is also expected to be shaped by the rupee’s movement against the US dollar, while investors continue to assess the impact of global uncertainty on risk appetite. Markets will remain closed on Thursday for Bakri Id.A key trigger for sentiment emerged over the weekend after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations between Washington and Tehran had shown some progress, raising expectations that the ongoing conflict in West Asia could move closer to resolution.Ajit Mishra, SVP, Research at Religare Broking Ltd, said investors would closely track developments tied to crude oil, global currencies and bond markets. “This week is expected to remain highly sensitive to global macroeconomic developments and currency movements. Investors will also monitor crude oil prices, developments in US-Iran negotiations, and the trajectory of the US dollar and bond yields, all of which are expected to influence foreign flows and overall risk appetite,” he said.Apart from geopolitical developments, the Reserve Bank’s decision to transfer a record Rs 2.87 lakh crore dividend to the government for the year ended March 2026 is also expected to remain in focus. The announcement comes at a time when rising import costs and supply chain pressures linked to the West Asia conflict continue to weigh on the economy.According to Mishra, market participants are expected to evaluate how the RBI payout could affect liquidity conditions, fiscal flexibility and government spending in the months ahead.Ponmudi R, CEO of Enrich Money, said market behaviour in the coming sessions is expected to remain sensitive to fresh headlines surrounding diplomatic negotiations and oil prices. “Markets are expected to remain volatile and heavily headline-driven in the coming week, with investor attention firmly focused on developments surrounding the US–Iran situation, broader diplomatic negotiations and movements in crude oil prices,” he said.“While hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough and easing geopolitical tensions have improved sentiment modestly, investors continue to remain cautious as uncertainty surrounding the final outcome of the negotiations remains elevated,” Ponmudi added.He further said investors are expected to watch institutional flows, global equity trends, macroeconomic indicators and the rupee for further market cues. “With global uncertainty still elevated, market participants are likely to remain selective and cautious despite the recent improvement in sentiment,” he said.Vinod Nair, Head of Research at Geojit Investments Limited, said markets would require stronger support factors to build a more constructive setup. According to him, a meaningful decline in crude oil prices, steady foreign institutional investor flows and stable Q1FY27 earnings expectations without major downgrades would be important for sustained momentum.In the previous week, the BSE benchmark index rose 177.36 points, or 0.23%, while the NSE Nifty advanced 75.8 points, or 0.32%.
Business
‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn
Reforms are needed of the welfare system to tackle the high numbers of young people not in work or education, says Alan Milburn.
Source link
-
Entertainment1 week agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Politics1 week agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Tech1 week agoWhy Is Your Grill So Dumb? The Best Grills Set Temp Like an Oven
-
Fashion1 week agoRMG trade bodies seek policy support from Bangladesh PM
-
Tech1 week agoThis Solar-Powered Smart Sprinkler Keeps My Lawn Watered Without Any Power Cables
-
Fashion6 days agoNigeria Kwara Garment Factory, KWS Garment Production Village ink pact
-
Fashion1 week agoIndia calls for aligning standards, customs procedures with Africa
-
Fashion7 days agoIndia’s Pearl Global’s FY26 revenue crosses $521 mn milestone
