Connect with us

Business

EAD, AIIB sign $320.16m loan agreement for reconstruction of National Highway N-5 | The Express Tribune

Published

on

EAD, AIIB sign 0.16m loan agreement for reconstruction of National Highway N-5 | The Express Tribune


The project will upgrade key N-5 highway sections across Sindh, Punjab and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa

The agreement was signed between Muhammad Humair Karim Kidwai Secretary EAD and Konstantin Limitovskiy Chief Investment Officer, Public Sector & Project and Corporate Finance at AIIB. PHOTO: APP

The Economic Affairs Division (EAD) and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) on Tuesday signed a $320.16 million loan agreement for Phase-IA of the “Reconstruction of National Highway N-5 under Pakistan’s Resilient Recovery, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Framework Project”.

The project will cover critical sections of the National Highway (N-5), which traverses Sindh, Punjab, and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, serving as a backbone of Pakistan’s transport network, said a news release.

The agreement was signed between EAD Secretary Muhammad Humair Karim Kidwai and AIIB Chief Investment Officer, Public Sector & Project and Corporate Finance (Global) Clients Konstantin Limitovskiy in the presence of Federal Minister for Economic Affairs Ahad Khan Cheema.

Read More: Four invisible barriers to foreign investment

A separate project agreement was also signed between AIIB and the National Highway Authority (NHA). The additional secretary, Ministry of Communications, and NHA CEO were also present.

Cheema appreciated the longstanding partnership with the AIIB, adding that the bank had consistently proven to be a reliable development partner of Pakistan. He said that the N-5 project would not only strengthen the country’s resilient infrastructure but would also play a significant role in enhancing regional connectivity, trade activities, and economic growth.

The EAD  secretary appreciated the longstanding partnership with the AIIB, noting that AIIB had consistently proven to be a strong and reliable partner. He emphasised that the N-5 Road Project would further deepen this partnership, strengthen mutual trust and cooperation, while advancing Pakistan’s sustainable infrastructure network.

The N-5 corridor holds immense importance as it connects key regions of Pakistan, enhancing regional connectivity, strengthening sustainable infrastructure, and supporting economic growth across the country.

The AIIB chief investment officer highlighted the strong development collaboration with the government and expressed the strategic importance of the N-5 project as it served as part of an international transport corridor.

The N-5 reconstruction would be undertaken using modern, green, and climate-resilient design standards with state-of-the-art infrastructure, ensuring efficiency, sustainability, and long-term durability, he added.

The signing marked another important milestone in Pakistan-AIIB cooperation and reflected the shared commitment of both sides towards building resilient infrastructure, enhancing regional connectivity and promoting sustainable economic development.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

UK loosens Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise

Published

on

UK loosens Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise



The waiver reflects increasing supply concerns over certain fuels due to the effective blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

UK inflation rate set to fall as lower household energy bills offset fuel surge

Published

on

UK inflation rate set to fall as lower household energy bills offset fuel surge



UK inflation is set to have eased last month as a drop in household energy bills offset a jump in fuel prices – but experts warned of turbulence ahead as the Iran energy price shock “catches up” with the cost of living.

Most economists think the rate of Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation slowed to 3% in April, from 3.3% in March.

This would mean that prices were still rising year-on-year, but at a slower rate than they were the month before.

A big driver of the expected slowdown is set to come from Ofgem lowering its energy price cap from the start of April by 7%, or £10 a month, for the average household using both electricity and gas.

This was largely driven by Government measures to reduce bills including moving 75% of the cost of the UK’s renewables obligation from household bills on to general taxation, and scrapping the energy company obligation scheme.

However, experts point to a mixed picture for energy costs last month with motorists hit by a surge in fuel prices following the start of US-Israel’s war with Iran.

Sanjay Raja, chief UK economist for Deutsche Bank, said he was expecting pump prices to have risen by about 15% in April from March.

“Looking ahead, we expect price momentum to pick back up as the Iran shock catches up with the inflation data,” Mr Raja wrote in a research note.

“Indeed, dual fuel bills won’t rise until the summer.”

Household energy bills are forecast to jump from July when the regulator sets its next price cap, with the latest predictions from analysts Cornwall Insight suggesting this could be 12% or £196 a year higher.

Victoria Scholar, head of investment for Interactive Investor, said April’s lower energy price cap will “go some way towards helping offset higher petrol, airline and other prices impacted by the elevated global oil price backdrop” with Brent crude oil trading at an average of around 120 US dollars a barrel during the month.

“When the Ofgem energy price cap resets in July, UK households will be faced with a sharp increase in energy bills,” she cautioned.

“Were it not for the Iran war, it would be about this time that the UK inflation rate was finally expected to fall back to the Bank of England’s 2% target.

“Instead, interest rate and inflation expectations have drastically rerated higher.”

The Bank of England kept interest rates on hold last month and is expecting inflation to increase under several of its potential scenarios for the impact of the energy shock.

Experts have stressed that the economic outlook could change depending on how long the Middle East conflict goes on, and how high oil and gas prices go.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Retail giants misled shoppers over Black Friday deals

Published

on

Retail giants misled shoppers over Black Friday deals


Major high street retailers John Lewis, Boots, and Debenhams misled customers with their Black Friday promotions last year, according to a ruling by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

The advertising watchdog found two John Lewis advertisements for MacBook and ASUS laptops overstated the advertised price reductions.

For instance, a MacBook Air offered at £699 with a claimed £150 saving was problematic, as the ASA noted “insufficient” data to prove its established selling price was £849.

Third-party trackers indicated the laptop had only been sold at £849 for a single day in July 2025. Similarly, a purported £450 price drop for an ASUS laptop during John Lewis’s Black Friday event lacked sufficient evidence to demonstrate a genuine saving.

Debenhams also faced scrutiny for two ads, one claiming “44 per cent savings” on home products and another featuring “21 per cent savings” on various items, including a hair styling tool, both deemed misleading.

Boots advertised a Hugo Boss fragrance reduced from £80 to £60, but the ASA discovered it had only been sold at the higher price for 21 days when it was initially launched.

In all instances, the ASA concluded it had not seen evidence that the advertised Black Friday deals represented a genuine saving against the product’s usual selling price, thereby misleading consumers.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) found two John Lewis ads for MacBook and ASUS laptops in the lead-up to Black Friday in November overstated the advertised price drops (ASA /PA Wire)

The sweep is the latest by the regulator using AI-powered monitoring, and follows rulings against hotel and travel companies in November for making misleading “from” price claims.

The ASA also banned two ads for Very following complaints from the watchdog Which? over misleading reference prices and associated savings.

Emily Henwood, operations manager at the ASA, said: “People rightly expect the deals they see around Black Friday to be genuine.

“These rulings send a clear message to retailers and brands that promotional events aren’t exempt from the rules.

“We expect advertisers to be able to demonstrate that the discounts they promote represent real savings so that people aren’t misled.”

Which? head of consumer protection policy Sue Davies said: “It’s unacceptable that well-known businesses have been reeling in customers with misleading deals.

“It will be reassuring to people, especially when so many are already struggling with cost-of-living pressures, that the ASA is taking action. This should send a message to other businesses that dodgy pricing will not be tolerated.

“That being said, we find too often that customers are being targeted by ‘deals’ that are not what they seem. It’s clear that the current system is not fit for purpose and the Government must tighten the law to ban deceptive pricing.”

The Very advert which has been banned following complaints from the watchdog Which? over misleading reference prices and associated savings
The Very advert which has been banned following complaints from the watchdog Which? over misleading reference prices and associated savings (ASA /PA Wire)

A Debenhams spokesman said: “We note the ASA’s ruling in relation to a small number of marketplace product adverts from late 2025.

“Debenhams operates a marketplace model, where third-party sellers set their own prices and are required to comply with all advertising and pricing regulations.

“While we do not set or control this pricing, we have taken steps to reinforce our guidance and requirements for third-party sellers to ensure compliance with all advertising and pricing regulations.”

Very advert which has been banned following complaints from the watchdog Which? over misleading reference prices and associated savings
Very advert which has been banned following complaints from the watchdog Which? over misleading reference prices and associated savings (ASA /PA Wire)

A John Lewis spokeswoman said: “Our Never Knowingly Undersold price promise means we lower thousands of prices each week to match competitors – and this activity intensifies during the busy Black Friday period.

“While we always strive to ensure the price claims in our advertising are accurate and compliant, we apologise for two errors which weren’t picked up when we lowered our prices to match others.”

A Boots spokeswoman said: “We know that our customers enjoy making genuine savings on their shopping at Boots, and last year we offered discounts on more than 20,000 products across the Black Friday period.

“We have robust measures in place to make sure that our promotions comply with the relevant laws and associated guidance, and we have taken learnings from this individual case of human error identified by the ASA.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending