Connect with us

Politics

Four dead after 14 people shot at family gathering in Stockton, California

Published

on

Four dead after 14 people shot at family gathering in Stockton, California


Members of the police work at the scene after several people were shot at a family gathering in Stockton, California, US on November 29, 2025. — Reuters
Members of the police work at the scene after several people were shot at a family gathering in Stockton, California, US on November 29, 2025. — Reuters

Four people died after 14 people were shot at a family gathering in Stockton in northern California on Saturday night, police said.

The shooting took place at a child’s birthday party, Stockton’s Vice Mayor Jason Lee said in a Facebook post.

“I am in contact with staff and public safety officials to understand exactly what happened, and I will be pushing for answers,” he said.

Police said they received reports shortly before 6pm local time (0200 GMT) of a shooting that occurred near the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue in Stockton.

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said in a post on X.

“This is a very active and ongoing investigation, and information remains limited. Early indications suggest this may be a targeted incident, and investigators are exploring all possibilities.”

Authorities have not provided any details about a shooter.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Iran, Turkiye agree to build key trade rail link

Published

on

Iran, Turkiye agree to build key trade rail link


Turkiyes Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan (Left) and Irans Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi holds a joint press conference in Tehran on November 30, 2025.— AFP
Turkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan (Left) and Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi holds a joint press conference in Tehran on November 30, 2025.— AFP

Iran and Turkiye have agreed to begin constructing a new joint rail link to serve as a strategic gateway between Asia and Europe, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Sunday.

The planned route, known in Iran as the Marand-Cheshmeh Soraya railway transit line and running towards Turkiye’s Aralik border region, will cover around 200 kilometres (120 miles).

It will cost roughly $1.6 billion and is expected to take three to four years to complete, Iranian authorities have said.

Earlier this month, Iran’s transport minister Farzaneh Sadegh said the rail line would transform the southern section of what was once the Silk Road into an “all-rail corridor ensuring the continuity of the network between China and Europe”.

It would also ensure “fast and cheap transport of all types of cargo with minimal stops”, she added.

At a joint press conference on Saturday with his Turkish counterpart Hakan Fidan, Araghchi said “emphasis was placed on the need to remove barriers to trade and investment between the two countries”.

“The two countries also stressed the importance of the rail link […] in the region and expressed hope that the construction of this line can start as soon as possible,” he added.

The ancient Silk Road was a vast system of trade routes that for centuries linked East Asia to the Middle East and Europe, facilitating the flow of goods, culture and knowledge across continents.

In 2013, China announced the construction of the “Belt and Road Initiative”, officially known as the “New Silk Road”— a project that aims to build maritime, road, and rail infrastructure to boost global trade.

Iran has been seeking to expand infrastructure and trade with neighbouring countries as part of efforts to revitalise an economy strained by decades of international sanctions.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Here’s how Australian PM Anthony Albanese met his wife, Jodie Haydon

Published

on

Here’s how Australian PM Anthony Albanese met his wife, Jodie Haydon


Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (L) and his new wife Jodie Haydon walk together during their wedding ceremony in Canberra on November 29, 2025.— AFP
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (L) and his new wife Jodie Haydon walk together during their wedding ceremony in Canberra on November 29, 2025.— AFP

In March 2020, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was speaking at a dinner event about his favourite South Sydney Rabbitohs — a rugby league team — when he heard Jodie Haydon call out, “Up the Rabbitohs.”

Albanese introduced himself after that encounter, but the real step forward came from Haydon. She later reached out to the premier on X, with a “hey, we’re both single”.

The Woodford Folk Festival event at Young Henry’s brewery in Newtown became the place of their first proper meeting, where Haydon had been invited by the Australian PM.

The couple found the Covid 19 as an opportunity to know each other and gave them room to grow their relationship.

The couple suddenly came under the spotlight after their pictures were dropped on social media, which their close friends described as a friendly relationship.

Albanese was involved in a serious car accident in 2021, after which Haydon said in an interview that she realised she loved him.

The Australian PM proposed to his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day 2024, saying he had found a partner “who I want to spend the rest of my life with”.

Following a year of dating, they tied the knot with Jodie Haydon in a private ceremony held in his office.

Albanese planned the proposal date, location, and even designed a custom diamond ring by Cerrone Jewellers in his electorate, Leichhardt.

Haydon was born in 1979, grew up to her grandparents in Avoca.

She spent her childhood in Avoca, bonding with her grandparents and juggling netball, part-time work at a fish-and-chip shop, and studies at Kincumber High before her family relocated to Sydney, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Although she belonged to a family of educators, Haydon viewed herself as a “powerhouse in her own right.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Israel’s Netanyahu seeks pardon in years-long corruption trial

Published

on

Israel’s Netanyahu seeks pardon in years-long corruption trial


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at the plenum of the Knesset, Israels parliament, in Jerusalem, November 10, 2025. — Reuters
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at the plenum of the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, in Jerusalem, November 10, 2025. — Reuters 
  • Netanyahu indicted in 2019 on corruption charges.
  • Israeli leader has long denied charges against him.
  • No admission of guilt in pardon request.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asked the president on Sunday for a pardon in his long-running corruption trial, arguing that criminal proceedings were hindering his ability to govern and a pardon would be good for Israel.

Netanyahu, the country’s longest-serving prime minister, denies the bribery, fraud, and breach of trust charges. His lawyers said in a letter to the president’s office that the prime minister still believes the legal proceedings would result in a complete acquittal.

“My lawyers sent a request for pardon to the president of the country today. I expect that anyone who wishes for the good of the country support this step,” Netanyahu said in a brief video statement released by his political party, the Likud.

Neither the prime minister, who has been on trial for five years, nor his lawyers made any admission of guilt.

Opposition leader Yair Lapid said Netanyahu should not be pardoned without admitting guilt, expressing remorse, and immediately retiring from political life.

Pardons in Israel have typically been granted only after legal proceedings have concluded and the accused has been convicted. Netanyahu’s lawyers argued that the president can intervene when public interest is at stake, as in this case, with a view to healing divisions and strengthening national unity.

President Isaac Herzog’s office described the request as “extraordinary” with “significant implications”. The president “will responsibly and sincerely consider the request” after receiving relevant opinions, his office said.

US President Donald Trump wrote to Herzog this month, urging him to consider granting the prime minister a pardon, saying the case against him was “a political, unjustified prosecution”.

Herzog’s office said the request would be forwarded to the pardons department in the justice ministry, as is standard practice, to collect opinions, which would be submitted to the president’s legal adviser, who will formulate a recommendation for the president.

Israel’s Justice Minister, Yariv Levin, is a member of Netanyahu’s Likud party and a close ally of the prime minister.

In the letter, Netanyahu’s lawyers argued that criminal proceedings against him had deepened societal divisions and that ending the trial was necessary for national reconciliation. They also wrote that increasingly frequent court hearings were burdensome while the prime minister was attempting to govern.

“I am required to testify three times a week … That is an impossible demand that is not made of any other citizen,” Netanyahu said in the video statement, emphasising that he had received the public’s trust by repeatedly winning elections.

Netanyahu was indicted in 2019 in three separate but related cases that centre around accusations that he granted favours to prominent business figures in exchange for gifts and sympathetic media coverage.

The prime minister has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

Coalition allies issued statements supporting Netanyahu’s request for a pardon, including National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich.

Opposition politician Yair Golan, a former deputy chief of the military, called on the prime minister to resign, urging the president not to grant a pardon.

Netanyahu is one of the country’s most polarising political figures, who was first elected prime minister in 1996. He has since served in government and opposition and returned to the prime minister’s office following the 2022 election.

The next election is due by October 2026, and many polls indicate that his coalition, the most right-wing in Israel’s history, would struggle to win enough seats to form a government.

Throughout his career, Netanyahu has cultivated a reputation for prioritising security and economic issues, but he has also been dogged by corruption charges. He was the prime minister on October 7, 2023, when the Gaza war started.

Since then, he has overseen the devastating war in Gaza, which has killed tens of thousands of Palestinians and levelled much of the territory, drawing broad international criticism and condemnation.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending