Connect with us

Business

More than 1,000 flights cancelled as US air traffic cuts enter second day

Published

on

More than 1,000 flights cancelled as US air traffic cuts enter second day


Getty Images long line of people with suitcases waiting for a security checkpoint in airportGetty Images

Travellers wait in a long line at a security checkpoint at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport on 6 November

More than 1,400 flights to, from, or within the US were cancelled on Saturday after airlines were told this week to cut traffic during the federal government shutdown.

Nearly 6,000 flights were also delayed, down from over 7,000 delays on Friday, according to flight tracker FlightAware.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced earlier in the week that it would be reducing air travel capacity by up to10% at 40 of the nation’s busiest airports as air traffic controllers, who are working without pay during the shutdown, report fatigue.

Republicans and Democrats remain divided over how to end the impasse in Congress as the shutdown, which began 1 October, continues.

Saturday marked the 39th day of the longest shutdown in history as Republicans and Democrats still have not agreed on a funding resolution to reopen the government.

Senators are in Washington over the weekend for bipartisan negotitations aimed at ending the shutdown, which is beginning to be felt by more and more Americans amid cuts to food aid payments and the flight disruptions.

In a statement on Saturday, American Airlines urged “leaders in Washington, D.C., to reach an immediate resolution to end the shutdown”.

New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport was experiencing some of the longest wait times. As of Saturday afternoon, arrivals to the airport were delayed by an average of more than four hours, while departures from the airport were delayed by an average of 1.5 hours, according to the FAA.

The airports with the most cancelled flights on Saturday, both to and from the location, were Charlotte/Douglas International, Newark Liberty International, and Chicago O’Hare International, according to FlightAware.

Departures to John F Kennedy International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, and La Guardia were delayed by nearly three hours, over 2.5 hours, and about an hour, respectively, the FAA reported as of Saturday afternoon.

With the Thanksgiving holiday approaching on 27 November, it’s one of the busiest travel seasons of the year in the US.

It’s not just commercial flights that have been affected. Restrictions on private jets are also in place, Secretary Duffy said in a Saturday post on X.

“We’ve reduced their volume at high traffic airports — instead having private jets utilize smaller airports or airfields so busy controllers can focus on commercial aviation,” Duffy wrote. “That’s only fair.”

And things will likely get worse in the coming days as the FAA increases the percentage of cancelled flights.

On Thursday, the agency announced that the flight reductions would be gradual, starting at 4% of flights on Friday before rising to 6% by 11 November, 8% by 13 November, and the full 10% by 14 November.

The FAA said the cuts were necessary to maintain safety as air traffic controllers have been overworked during the shutdown.

As essential workers, the controllers are required to continue working without pay, and as a result, many have called out sick or taken on second jobs to afford necessities, unions say.

Watch: “Devastating” – Airline travellers react to flight reductions

The controllers are just some of the 1.4 million federal workers who have either been working without pay or been put on forced during the shutdown.

Another factor impacting air travel is that most of the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) 64,000 agents are also not being paid while the shutdown is in place.

During the previous government shutdown, under US President Donald Trump in 2018, it was found that up to 10% of TSA staff chose to stay at home rather than work for free.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low

Published

on

CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low


A sign sits outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Roybal campus in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. March 18, 2026.

Megan Varner | Reuters

One American has tested positive for Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo in connection to the deadly outbreak in central Africa that global health agencies are racing to contain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday.

The person was exposed as part of their work in Congo, developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, told reporters on a call. The CDC and State Department are working to move that individual and six other Americans exposed to Ebola to Germany for treatment, care and monitoring. 

But Pillai emphasized that no cases tied to the outbreak have been confirmed in the U.S., and that the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low.

Still, the CDC also announced on Monday that for the next 30 days, it will restrict entry into the country for people without a U.S. passport who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan or Uganda in the last three weeks.

The update came one day after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern.” The outbreak does not meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned that the high positivity rate and increasing cases and deaths point toward a “potentially much larger outbreak” than what is being detected and reported.  

As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected cases and 88 suspected deaths have been reported, primarily in Congo but also in neighboring Uganda, according to the CDC.

The specific virus involved in this outbreak, called Bundibugyo, has no vaccine or treatment. Historically, that virus has death rates ranging from 25% to 50%, the CDC added. 

But agency officials told reporters on Monday that work is underway to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this specific strain of Ebola. 

Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?

Published

on

Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?



Musk’s loss against OpenAI is the latest in a string of courtroom defeats.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Biggest ever UK trade mission to US amid political crisis and Iran tensions

Published

on

Biggest ever UK trade mission to US amid political crisis and Iran tensions



Britain’s largest ever business delegation has travelled to the US aimed at bolstering transatlantic trade, amid political turmoil at home and tensions over the Iran war, which continues to inflict economic damage.

This week’s mission to Los Angeles, involving more than 200 firms, comes in the wake of the King’s recent state visit to mark the 250th anniversary of American independence, which culminated with Donald Trump scrapping tariffs on UK-made whisky, in a major boost to the industry.

The deputation, which was originally to be led by Business Secretary Peter Kyle, is now being headed by Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy, along with trade minister Blair McDougall.

The so-called Greater Together LA expo will seek to build on the existing commercial partnership between the two nations, which accounts for 430 billion dollars of trade each year, around 1.5 trillion dollars of investment in each others economies and supports more than 2.6 million jobs on either side of the Atlantic.

The event will be co-hosted by Universal Music Group boss Sir Lucian Grainge and former Apple designer Sir Jony Ive, who jointly founded the creative collective LoveFrom.

Speakers include music impresario and Got Talent judge Simon Cowell, singer/songwriter Leona Lewis, designer Sir Paul Smith and astronaut Tim Peake.

It will also be attended by the chief executives of British Airways, News Corp and American Airlines.

Areas to be covered include co-operation in artificial intelligence, quantum computing, cultural exchange, fintech and scientific innovation.

The event is being held against a background of political upheaval in the UK, with Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer under pressure to quit following disastrous local election results for Labour, and fractious relations with the White House over the Middle East conflict that saw the US president threaten to change a trade deal with Britain.

While the Government has remained tight-lipped over the potential implications of recent developments for the major business event, insiders have pointed out the close, long-standing UK-US relationship runs deeper than individuals and current rifts.

The lasting partnership built on shared values was highlighted in a video message by the King to be played at the event, which continued the theme of his recent historic address to Congress.

Charles said: “The United Kingdom and the United States share one of the most enduring and consequential relationships in modern history, one forged through decades of collaboration and grounded in a shared belief in the power of enterprise, innovation and human endeavour.

“From our common language and vibrant creative industries to our academic partnerships, scientific collaborations, and technological innovations, our cultures are woven together in ways that are immeasurable, but of enduring value.”

The King added: “These ties are reflected not only on financial balance sheets, but in the living, breathing connections between our people, whose lives and livelihoods are so richly enhanced by them.

“During my visit to the United States the other day I was once again struck by the extraordinary warmth of the American people, by the natural affinity between our countries and by the importance of working together for the benefit of all.

“My conversations with businesses and entrepreneurs throughout that visit also reinforced what I have long believed, that our relationship is not merely a matter of shared history but a living dynamic partnership built on common values of democracy, freedom and opportunity.

“This is a partnership that must be continually renewed and strengthened for future generations.”

Charles went on: “So today, as you come together, I can only encourage you to deepen existing alliances and forge new ones.

“Your decisions, your willingness to think boldly about collaboration, will help create opportunities that benefit communities across the United Kingdom, the United States and beyond.”

Ms Nandy hailed the UK’s creative industries, sporting heritage and tourism as “among our greatest national assets” and said the LA expo provided an “extraordinary opportunity to showcase them on the world stage”.

The Labour Cabinet minister said: “From our music and film sectors to sport and the arts, this delegation will demonstrate the immense cultural and commercial value the UK brings to our partnership with the United States.

“I look forward to deepening those connections and opening new doors for British talent and creativity.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending