Business
Post Office proposes to offer digital ID and pharmacy prescriptions in reforms
The Post Office is proposing that its stores are used for more services such as pharmacy prescription collection, digital ID and business advice, as part of efforts to safeguard its future on the high street.
The state-owned postal, banking and retail business has laid out a series of potential policy reforms to the Government to help grow its revenue streams.
However, it has also called on the Government to look at tailored tax relief for Post Offices.
The Government launched a green paper in July looking at how the organisation should be run.
In the original documents, the Government indicated it could scrap the Post Office’s 11,500-branch requirement as part of an ongoing review process.
In its submission to a consultation, which will close next week, the Post Office said it was important to “maintain nationwide coverage” and its 11,500-strong branch requirement.
Nevertheless, the company said in its reform proposal that it was seeking a “flexible policy framework” so that its network of branches can “evolve” as consumer demands change.
It is understood that this includes potential changes to the required make-up of its branch portfolio, amid the growth of Post Office-run banking hubs.
On Monday, the business also called for the Government to allow it to extend its enhanced banking and parcel services with new services, such as advice for small business.
It also called for the Government to “make post offices the trusted place for essential government services, like digital ID or pharmacy prescription collection”.
They suggested ministers “explore tailored business rates relief”, to potentially give the business discounts on its property tax payments to reflect their contribution to communities.
Meanwhile the Post Office is pushing forward with a major transformation plan.
The business said earlier this year that it is considering offloading 115 directly owned branches within its network, which could see them transferred to retail partners or postmasters, or potentially closed.
The overhaul comes as the Post Office looks to move on from the Horizon IT scandal in which hundreds of subpostmasters were wrongfully convicted.
Neil Brocklehurst, Post Office chief executive, said: “Post Office has been part of the everyday fabric of British life for almost 400 years. But we cannot afford to stand still.
“Digital technologies have transformed how we shop, transact and communicate.
“And like any modern retailer, we must evolve to meet customer demand and sell the products and services which will drive revenue for the postmasters and partners who operate our branch network.
“I look forward to working with our postmasters, partners, customers and government as we continue to transform this vital organisation, and I’m confident we will see a strong and vibrant Post Office network across the UK for decades to come.”
Business
CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low
A sign sits outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Roybal campus in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. March 18, 2026.
Megan Varner | Reuters
One American has tested positive for Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo in connection to the deadly outbreak in central Africa that global health agencies are racing to contain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday.
The person was exposed as part of their work in Congo, developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, told reporters on a call. The CDC and State Department are working to move that individual and six other Americans exposed to Ebola to Germany for treatment, care and monitoring.
But Pillai emphasized that no cases tied to the outbreak have been confirmed in the U.S., and that the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low.
Still, the CDC also announced on Monday that for the next 30 days, it will restrict entry into the country for people without a U.S. passport who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan or Uganda in the last three weeks.
The update came one day after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern.” The outbreak does not meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned that the high positivity rate and increasing cases and deaths point toward a “potentially much larger outbreak” than what is being detected and reported.
As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected cases and 88 suspected deaths have been reported, primarily in Congo but also in neighboring Uganda, according to the CDC.
The specific virus involved in this outbreak, called Bundibugyo, has no vaccine or treatment. Historically, that virus has death rates ranging from 25% to 50%, the CDC added.
But agency officials told reporters on Monday that work is underway to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this specific strain of Ebola.
Business
Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?
Musk’s loss against OpenAI is the latest in a string of courtroom defeats.
Source link
Business
Biggest ever UK trade mission to US amid political crisis and Iran tensions
Britain’s largest ever business delegation has travelled to the US aimed at bolstering transatlantic trade, amid political turmoil at home and tensions over the Iran war, which continues to inflict economic damage.
This week’s mission to Los Angeles, involving more than 200 firms, comes in the wake of the King’s recent state visit to mark the 250th anniversary of American independence, which culminated with Donald Trump scrapping tariffs on UK-made whisky, in a major boost to the industry.
The deputation, which was originally to be led by Business Secretary Peter Kyle, is now being headed by Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy, along with trade minister Blair McDougall.
The so-called Greater Together LA expo will seek to build on the existing commercial partnership between the two nations, which accounts for 430 billion dollars of trade each year, around 1.5 trillion dollars of investment in each others economies and supports more than 2.6 million jobs on either side of the Atlantic.
The event will be co-hosted by Universal Music Group boss Sir Lucian Grainge and former Apple designer Sir Jony Ive, who jointly founded the creative collective LoveFrom.
Speakers include music impresario and Got Talent judge Simon Cowell, singer/songwriter Leona Lewis, designer Sir Paul Smith and astronaut Tim Peake.
It will also be attended by the chief executives of British Airways, News Corp and American Airlines.
Areas to be covered include co-operation in artificial intelligence, quantum computing, cultural exchange, fintech and scientific innovation.
The event is being held against a background of political upheaval in the UK, with Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer under pressure to quit following disastrous local election results for Labour, and fractious relations with the White House over the Middle East conflict that saw the US president threaten to change a trade deal with Britain.
While the Government has remained tight-lipped over the potential implications of recent developments for the major business event, insiders have pointed out the close, long-standing UK-US relationship runs deeper than individuals and current rifts.
The lasting partnership built on shared values was highlighted in a video message by the King to be played at the event, which continued the theme of his recent historic address to Congress.
Charles said: “The United Kingdom and the United States share one of the most enduring and consequential relationships in modern history, one forged through decades of collaboration and grounded in a shared belief in the power of enterprise, innovation and human endeavour.
“From our common language and vibrant creative industries to our academic partnerships, scientific collaborations, and technological innovations, our cultures are woven together in ways that are immeasurable, but of enduring value.”
The King added: “These ties are reflected not only on financial balance sheets, but in the living, breathing connections between our people, whose lives and livelihoods are so richly enhanced by them.
“During my visit to the United States the other day I was once again struck by the extraordinary warmth of the American people, by the natural affinity between our countries and by the importance of working together for the benefit of all.
“My conversations with businesses and entrepreneurs throughout that visit also reinforced what I have long believed, that our relationship is not merely a matter of shared history but a living dynamic partnership built on common values of democracy, freedom and opportunity.
“This is a partnership that must be continually renewed and strengthened for future generations.”
Charles went on: “So today, as you come together, I can only encourage you to deepen existing alliances and forge new ones.
“Your decisions, your willingness to think boldly about collaboration, will help create opportunities that benefit communities across the United Kingdom, the United States and beyond.”
Ms Nandy hailed the UK’s creative industries, sporting heritage and tourism as “among our greatest national assets” and said the LA expo provided an “extraordinary opportunity to showcase them on the world stage”.
The Labour Cabinet minister said: “From our music and film sectors to sport and the arts, this delegation will demonstrate the immense cultural and commercial value the UK brings to our partnership with the United States.
“I look forward to deepening those connections and opening new doors for British talent and creativity.”
-
Entertainment6 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Fashion5 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment1 week agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Sports1 week agoJacob Fatu unleashes vicious assault on Roman Reigns after World Heavyweight Championship loss at WWE Backlash
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet
-
Tech1 week agoPapa Johns Is Getting Into Drone Delivery—but Not for Pizza
