Connect with us

Entertainment

Power outages, waterlogging persist as Karachi reels after torrential rains

Published

on

Power outages, waterlogging persist as Karachi reels after torrential rains


People wade through a flooded road with partially submerged vehicles after the monsoon rain, in Karachi, Pakistan, August 19, 2025. — Reuters

A day after heavy showers triggered urban flooding in Karachi and left at least 10 people dead, large parts of the metropolis remain without electricity, while waterlogging continues to disrupt life on major roads amid forecast of more torrential rains.

Power supply has yet to be restored in several neighbourhoods, including Gulistan-e-Jauhar Blocks 7, 13, and 18, Mehmoodabad, Akhtar Colony, Manzoor Colony, Defence View, and Malir Alamgir Society—despite more than 16 hours having passed since the downpour subsided.

K-Electric, the city’s sole power utility, said in a statement that its field teams remained actively engaged throughout the spell and that feeders were switched off only where safety precautions demanded.

“Restoration efforts continued undeterred despite significant waterlogging and congestion. Areas with high levels of stagnant water, particularly low-lying zones, were particularly affected due to restricted access and safety risks for residents and field teams,” the utility said.

Meanwhile, rainwater has yet to be fully drained from several major roads, including Tower, II Chundrigar Road, the FTC area, the PAF Museum on Sharea Faisal, and Safoora on University Road.

Water has also accumulated in Karachi’s Red Zone, Shaheen Complex, MR Kayani Road near the Arts Council, and Ziauddin Ahmed Road. As a result, one track of Dr Ziauddin Ahmed Road has remained closed to traffic since yesterday, while the Drigh Road and Nazimabad underpasses also remain shut.

Moreover, the Aiwan-e-Sadr Road near the Governor House is submerged with rainwater up to the police lines. Other affected areas include Kharadar, MA Jinnah Road, Bolton Market, and Jamia Sindh Madrasatul Islam.

‘Main roads largely cleared’ 

Speaking to Geo News, Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab said that while main roads had largely been cleared after the rains, drainage work was still underway in several waterlogged areas.

“Drainage efforts are continuing where rainwater has accumulated,” he said, noting that the city received over 235mm of rainfall—far exceeding its drainage capacity of just 40mm.

Wahab said that 3.024 million cubic feet of debris had so far been removed from storm drains, improving water flow and easing drainage across the city.

He acknowledged shortcomings in the drainage system but stressed the need for long-term solutions. “Basic steps are needed to expand drainage capacity, but this requires land and faces resistance from residents, making the task difficult,” the mayor said.

“Traffic is moving, but slows down where water remains on the sides of roads. Overall, the situation has improved compared to earlier in the day,” he added.

The mayor also confirmed receiving complaints about power outages in multiple neighbourhoods.

Over 550 feeders disrupted

Electricity supply has been disrupted to more than 550 feeders across the city, with some areas experiencing blackouts for up to 16 hours.

A K-Electric spokesperson said that power is currently being supplied through more than 1,550 of the city’s 2,100 feeders. The spokesperson explained that heavy rain had left many roads submerged, disrupting fuel deliveries and hampering access for repair teams.

However, residents told Geo News that several hours had passed since the rain stopped, yet no K-Electric teams had arrived to restore supply in their areas, leaving citizens distressed and helpless.

More torrential rains

According to the Met Office, strong monsoon currents from the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal are continuously penetrating the country, especially the southern parts. Under the influence of these meteorological conditions, widespread rain-wind/thundershower (with scattered heavyfalls at times very heavy) is expected in several Sindh districts, including Karachi, from August 19-22, with occasional gaps.

It is also expected in Mithi, Tharparker, Umer Kot, Mirpurkhas, Hyderabad, Shaheed Benazirabad, Karachi, Thatta, Badin, Sajawal, Tando Allayar, Tando Muhammad Khan, Sanghar, Jamshoro, while at scattered places in Sukkur, Larkana, Khairpur, and Jacobabad.

The PMD added that torrential rains may cause urban flooding in low-lying areas of Sindh, including Karachi.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

India’s powerful Hindu group chief urges three-child families as fertility rates fall

Published

on

India’s powerful Hindu group chief urges three-child families as fertility rates fall


Mohan Bhagwat, chief of the Hindu nationalist organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), gestures as he addresses a news conference in New Delhi, India November 9, 2019. — Reuters 
  • Declining fertility rates pose demographic risks.
  • Bhagwat calls for population ‘controlled, yet sufficient’ balance.
  • RSS leader calls on Muslims to overcome fear, build mutual trust.

NEW DELHI: The head of India’s powerful Hindu nationalist Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) said that Indian families must have three children each, warning about the long-term risks from the current trend of declining birth rates.

At 1.46 billion, India is the world’s most populous nation but the total fertility rate has dropped to less than two children per woman, according to the UN Population Fund’s 2025 report, as economic growth gathers momentum.

Mohan Bhagwat, chief of the RSS that is the ideological parent of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, said the population must remain “controlled, yet sufficient”.

Speaking at a lecture to mark the 100 years of the founding of the RSS on Thursday, Bhagwat suggested that “in the national interest, every family should have three children and limit themselves to that”.

His call for larger families reflects anxiety among nationalist leaders and some regional politicians about long-term demographic stability, national capacity, and cultural identity.

For years hardline Hindu groups have pointed to higher birth rates among minority groups such as Muslims as a cause of concern although data shows Indian Muslims are also having fewer children than in the past.

Bhagwat too said birth rates were declining across religious groups.

While the RSS officially describes itself as a cultural organisation promoting Hindu values, it wields enormous influence through its vast network of affiliates and millions of grassroots volunteers.

Many of Modi’s senior ministers, including the prime minister himself, are long-time members of the RSS.

Analysts say BJP’s policy priorities — from cultural and education reform to citizenship laws — frequently echo positions championed by the RSS, making the organisation one of the most powerful civil society groups in the world.

Bhagwat rejected criticism that the RSS was opposed to Muslims — who make up about 14% of India’s population — and other minorities saying the organisation viewed all of them as Indians.

“Our ancestors and culture are the same. Worship practices may differ, but our identity is one. Changing religion does not change one’s community,” he said.

“Mutual trust must be built on all sides. Muslims must overcome the fear that joining hands with others will erase their religion.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce’s plans for wedding day finally revealed

Published

on

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce’s plans for wedding day finally revealed


Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce in celebration mode ever since the engagement

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce took their two-year long relationship to the next level with a surprise engagement recently.

On Tuesday August 26, the couple announced their engagement on social media with a carousal of pictures of themselves in a garden surrounded by roses and floral arches.

“Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married,” the post was captioned with a firecracker emoji.

As per the recent findings, a source revealed their wedding plans in an interview with People.

“Taylor and Travis have been in celebration mode ever since the engagement,’ the insiders began by saying.

Sharing next plans after engagement, the source continued, “They are not in the wedding planning phase yet. Right now they just want to enjoy being engaged and they are going to take their time with it.”

The songstress has been in a highly publicized relationship with Kelce, and regarding it the insiders told the outlet, “It has been a relief not having to keep it a secret anymore and they are glad it is out in the open.”

Referring to his mom, Donna, who swapped out her Facebook cover photo to a childhood picture of the songstress and the football player, after the announcement of engagement, the source shared, “Donna is already saving little things from this time like photos, notes and flowers.”

“She is very sentimental about it. She wants to remember every detail, so she has been holding onto mementos from their first days as an engaged couple,” the insiders added.

Before concluding, the source said, “Both families are overjoyed. There were toasts, happy tears and everyone is thrilled for them. Friends have been stopping by and sending little gifts. It has all been intimate, nothing over the top.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jessie J makes heartbreaking announcement amid health issues

Published

on

Jessie J makes heartbreaking announcement amid health issues


Jessie J cancels tour dates ahead of second breast cancer surgery

Jessie J left her fans disappointed on Thursday as she postponed two legs of her upcoming tour while canceling another portion amid her ongoing battle with cancer.

In a statement to People magazine on August 28, the 37-year-old singer announced that she has had to cancel her US tour dates and postpone her UK concerts to focus on her health.

“Unfortunately I have to have a second surgery — nothing too serious but it has to be done by the end of this year,” said Jessie.

“This falls in the middle of the tour I had booked. I’m so sorry, I feel frustrated and sad, but I need to be better, I need to be healed,” she added.

For those unversed, the Bang Bang hitmaker’s UK and European shows were initially scheduled for October 2025. Now, the shows have been moved to April 2026.

This cancellation comes three months after Jessie revealed that she had breast cancer.

The Nobody’s Perfect songstress later took to her Instagram account to further discuss her decision to cancel her upcoming shows.

“As some of you may know I just had breast cancer surgery eight weeks ago, that’s the first thing,” she said in a clip. “The second thing is unfortunately I have to have a second surgery.” 

“Nothing too serious but it has to be done by the end of the year and unfortunately that falls right in the middle of a tour I had booked,” Jessie assured.

“I’m so sorry, I feel frustrated and sad. But also it is what it is. I need to be better, I need to be healed and this is the right decision to make so I am postponing the tour until next year,” added the singer.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending