Entertainment
Rob Reiner and wife found dead in their Los Angeles home: What to know
Hollywood director and actor Rob Reiner and his wife, Michele, were found dead inside their Los Angeles home on Sunday afternoon, sources told CBS News, in what police are investigating as an apparent homicide.
“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the tragic passing of Michele and Rob Reiner. We are heartbroken by this sudden loss, and we ask for privacy during this unbelievably difficult time,” said Reiner’s family in a statement obtained by Variety.
Christopher Polk/Variety via Getty Images
Los Angeles police launch investigation
Los Angeles Police Department Robbery Homicide Division detectives were called to the couple’s Brentwood home at around 3:40 p.m. Sunday after learning that two people had been found dead. They responded to the property after being asked to by Los Angeles Fire Department crews, who were the first to be called to the scene.
Reiner, 78, and his wife, Michele Singer Reiner, 68, were later identified as the victims, sources told CBS News. LAPD detectives still haven’t publicly identified the deceased or provided the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
During a news conference on Sunday night, LAPD Deputy Chief Allen Hamilton said that they had not identified a suspect “at this time.” Hamilton said they were “not seeking anyone as a suspect, or as a person of interest or in any other manner, and we will not be doing that until we conduct our investigation and move forward.”
Rob Reiner’s legendary life and career in Hollywood
Reiner first gained fame in the CBS sitcom “All in the Family,” in which he played Archie Bunker’s son-in-law Mike “Meathead” Stivic. He won two Emmys for the role before he went on to star in “Sleepless in Seattle,” “The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Everyone’s Hero” and “The First Wives Club.”
Reiner is highly regarded for directing multiple classic films, including “The Princess Bride,” “Misery,” “A Few Good Men,” “Stand By Me” and “When Harry Met Sally…” He also wrote and directed the mockumentary “This is Spinal Tap,” which was followed by a sequel, “Spinal Tap II: The End Continues,” which was released in September.
Over the course of his six-decade career, Reiner was nominated for seven Primetime Emmy Awards, eight Golden Globes and one Academy Award.
He is the son of Carl Reiner, the iconic comedian and actor who had a career spanning decades. Along with starring in films like “Oh God!,” “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,” “Ocean’s Eleven” and its sequels, he is also the creator of the “Dick Van Dyke Show.” He died in 2020 at 98 years old.
In 2017, Carl and Rob became the first father-son duo to be memorialized outside the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, when they left their handprints and footprints in the cement.
Reiner married his wife, Michele, in 1989, after they met during the filming of “When Harry Met Sally…” In 2016, Reiner told the AV Club during an interview that meeting Michele led to him changing the end of the movie, in which Harry and Sally end up together.
Michele was a photographer who took the photo of President Trump that was used on the cover of his book “The Art of the Deal,” according to Variety.
They had three children together.
Reiner was previously married to the late director Penny Marshall, and is the adoptive father of her daughter, actress Tracy Reiner.
Michael Buckner/Variety via Getty Images
Hollywood stars and politicians react
The family of Norman Lear, the legendary producer of “All in the Family” who died in 2023 at 101, shared a statement upon learning of the Reiners’ deaths.
“The Lear Family is devastated by the deaths of Rob and Michele Reiner. Norman often referred to Rob as a son, and their close relationship was extraordinary, to us and the world,” the Lear Family statement said. “Norman would have wanted to remind us that Rob and Michele spent every breath trying to make this country a better place, and they pursued that through their art, their activism, their philanthropy, and their love for family and friends.”
Former President Barack Obama posted on X, noting that he and his wife, Michelle, were “heartbroken by the tragic passing.”
“Rob’s achievements in film and television gave us some of our most cherished stories on screen. But beneath all of the stories he produced was a deep belief in the goodness of people—and a lifelong commitment to putting that belief into action,” the post said. “Together, he and his wife lived lives defined by purpose. They will be remembered for the values they championed and the countless people they inspired. We send our deepest condolences to all who loved them.”
Actor Sean Astin, the newly elected president of the Screen Actors’ Guild, called Rob Reiner “one of those most significant figures in the history of film and television.” He said Reiner’s impact on American culture “simply can’t be overstated.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statement on behalf of himself and his wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, saying that they are “heartbroken by the tragic loss of Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner.”
“Rob was the big-hearted genius behind so many of the classic stories we love, with projects as wide-ranging as ‘The Princess Bride’ to ‘A Few Good Men,'” Newsom said. “His boundless empathy made his stories timeless, teaching generations how to see goodness and righteousness in others – and encouraging us to dream bigger.”
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said in a statement that, “This is a devastating loss for our city and country. Rob Reiner’s contributions reverberate throughout American culture and society, and he has improved countless lives through his creative work and advocacy fighting for social and economic justice. An acclaimed actor, director, producer, writer, and engaged political activist, he always used his gifts in service of others.”
A statement from former House Speaker and current Rep. Nancy Pelosi called the news “devastating.”
“It’s hard to think of anyone more remarkable and excellent in every field and endeavor they pursued. Rob was creative, funny, and beloved. And in all of their endeavors, Michelle was his indispensable partner, intellectual resource, and loving wife,” said her post on X.
Entertainment
Katsuhiro Otomo gives major update on ‘Orbital Era’ with new studio
Katsuhiro Otomo has started a new animation studio called Oval Gear and it quickly caught the attention of anime fans around the world.
The move brought new hope for his long delayed film Orbital Era, which was first started buzzing about a few years ago but never fully updated.
The studio has now gone live with its official website and fans noticed something important right away.
The site, however, shows visuals that match Orbital Era, including a space themed character that was previously linked to the film. This made many people believe that the project may finally be active again.
Oval Gear explains on its website that the studio was created to pass on Otomo’s creative style to new artists while also building new anime projects for the future.
It also says the studio wants to share new stories with global audiences.
Another key detail is that the studio is hiring new staff, as this usually means work is starting behind the scenes and a project is being built step by step.
Fans have been waiting for years because Otomo has not directed a major anime film in a long time, as his last major anime work was connected to Short Peace in 2013.
With this new studio launch, excitement has returned and many now believe Orbital Era could finally move closer to becoming a real film.
Entertainment
Cardi B nearly passes out during parenting moment: ‘I can’t handle it’
Cardi B had a relatable parenting moment after nearly wilting under the sun at her son Wave’s baseball game.
Over the weekend, the Grammy-rapper showed up to support her 4-year-old and even threw the first pitch, but later admitted the outdoor heat had her feeling like she was on the verge of collapse.
The mom-of-four opened up about the experience on Instagram Stories after videos of her walking onto the field with Wave and tossing the ceremonial pitch went viral online. While Cardi looked confident on the diamond as fans cheered her on, she quickly learned that surviving the weather was the real challenge.
“This is why I say I’m such a girls’ mom,” she joked. “A dance recital inside, I love it. I love a dance recital inside.”
“Being outside in this heat for a baseball game, urgh, I can’t handle it,” she continued, before adding, “I’m ready to pass out, I can’t handle it.”
The Bodack Yellow hitmaker shares daughter Kulture, son Wave and daughter Blossom with estranged husband Offset, and welcomed a son with NFL star Stefon Diggs in November 2025.
The outing also comes as Cardi and Diggs continue fuelling reconciliation rumours after recently being spotted together at his Mother’s Day wellness event.
That followed another viral sighting that appeared to show the pair in a heated exchange, which Cardi later joked about on X.
“Sometimes I forget I’m a celebrity… damn y’all ain’t never cuss your babydad out when you hungry?” she quipped.
Entertainment
After provinces, Centre lifts austerity-driven business-hour curbs until May 31
- Shops and malls exempt from closure timings.
- Punjab, Sindh already eased business restrictions earlier.
- Energy conservation curbs imposed earlier now relaxed.
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday approved the exemption of business closure timings across the country until May 31, effectively allowing commercial centres to operate without the previously imposed restrictions.
According to a notification issued by the Cabinet Division, all shops, departmental stores, bazaars, markets and shopping malls will remain open on all days of the week without restriction on closing hours.
The exemption also applies to bakeries, tandoors, restaurants and grocery stores, which have been allowed to continue operations beyond the earlier fixed timings.
The decision comes after provincial governments had already relaxed business-hour restrictions. The Punjab government had earlier extended relaxed operating hours for markets and commercial centres until June 1, while suspending the mandatory 8pm closure rule.
Similarly, the Sindh government had on May 16 announced relief for traders and citizens, exempting markets, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels and marriage halls from fixed closing times in a bid to support economic activity.
Meanwhile, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan governments also followed suit, announcing the end of smart lockdown measures across the province and lifting restrictions on market timings and business hours.
Business hours were curtailed across the country last month as part of energy conservation measures introduced amid a sharp increase in domestic fuel prices, triggered by the conflict in the Middle East.
The measures, which formed part of the federal government’s broader austerity and fuel-conservation plan, were aimed at reducing energy consumption following the surge in fuel prices.
-
Entertainment6 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Fashion5 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Sports1 week agoBobby Cox, legendary Atlanta Braves manager who led 1995 World Series champions, dead at 84
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment1 week agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Sports1 week agoJacob Fatu unleashes vicious assault on Roman Reigns after World Heavyweight Championship loss at WWE Backlash
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet

