Connect with us

Sports

Ronaldo becomes first player to score 100 goals for four different clubs

Published

on

Ronaldo becomes first player to score 100 goals for four different clubs


 Al Nassr’s Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after scoring during the penalty shootout on August 23, 2025. — Reuters

Al-Ahli beat Al-Nassr 5–3 on penalties to win the Saudi Super Cup final in Hong Kong after a dramatic 2–2 draw on Saturday as Cristiano Ronaldo netted his 100th goal for the losing side.

Portugal forward Ronaldo, 40, opened the scoring in the 40th minute from the penalty spot to reach the milestone after Ali Majrashi was penalised for handball.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner became the first player to score 100 competitive goals for four different clubs.

Al-Ahli, who won this year’s Asian Champions League title, responded in first-half stoppage time through Franck Kessie, who finished low past Al-Nassr keeper Bento after a well-placed pass from new signing Enzo Millot.

Both sides pushed for a winner in the second half and Ronaldo tested Edouard Mendy with a powerful strike before Firas Al-Buraikan struck the post.

Marcelo Brozovic restored Al-Nassr’s lead in the 82nd minute, capitalising on a poor clearance and firing home from inside the box.

Al-Ahli equalised again in the 89th minute, however, when Roger Ibanez headed in a Riyad Mahrez corner after Bento misjudged the ball.

In the shootout, Al-Ahli converted all five penalties and although Ronaldo converted his spot-kick, Al-Nassr missed one to hand the Jeddah-based club their second Saudi Super Cup title.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster

Published

on



Read more



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years

Published

on

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sat in front of reporters Thursday addressing the stunning Micah Parsons trade to the Green Bay Packers. 

The main question on everyone’s mind was why make the trade?

“This gives us a chance to be a better team than we’ve had the last several years,” Jones said with his son, CEO and director of player personnel Stephen Jones, sitting to his right. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 27, 2025. (Kirby Lee/ Imagn Images)

“We did think it was in the best interest of our organization, not only the future, but right now in this season as well.”

It’s hard for Cowboys fans to fathom the deal was made to benefit the team’s win total in 2025 and the future, but Jones offered some specifics to the contrary, starting with the acquisition of Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark as part of the deal. 

“We’ve gained a Pro Bowl player in an area that we had big concerns in — in the inside of our defense,” Jones said. 

“The facts are we need to stop the run. We haven’t been able to stop the run for several years.”

COWBOYS OWNER BLAMES MICAH PARSONS’ AGENT FOR STALLED CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS: ‘TOLD US TO STICK IT UP OUR A–’

Jones added trade talks for Parsons went on throughout the spring, though he said he offered Parsons a deal in April. He has previously said he offered Parsons the highest contract for a non-quarterback in NFL history, and he doubled down Thursday night that he offered him more guaranteed money than the reported $136 million he got in the four-year, $188 million Packers extension he received after being traded. 

“I will say this: It was important that we did get, if we could get it, the kind of interest that we got in making a trade for Micah,” Jones said. “He was an asset we got four good years out of. But when you’re talking about making the contract that he got and for the future, that’s quite a commitment. None of that counts about what he did the first four years. It goes against what he can do for you in the future.”

The Cowboys also received the Packers’ 2026 and 2027 first-round picks, which Jones said he wouldn’t rule out trading for another established player. 

Micah Parsons in training camp

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 26, 2025. (Kirby Lee/Imagn Images)

“Not only do we immediately get a player, but those draft picks could get us … I’m talking top Pro Bowl-type players — could. I’m not necessarily going to say you’ll get those players. You gotta draft them or acquire them,” Jones explained. 

“But they could get us as few as three or as many as five outstanding players. Now, not only do they contribute to a game that needs a lot of players on the field, but they also give you better odds that a high percentage of those are going to be available.”

Jones said that it was a consensus decision, both in the front office and by the coaching staff, to make the trade with the Packers. He added that it was still up in the air Thursday morning, as Clark went to Packers practice as usual.

Jones was also asked about an NFL Network report that said Parsons returned to the Cowboys out of “empathy” when the trade interest was leaked earlier this week. Parsons claims he was told by the team to “play on the 5th year or leave.”

“It was not in any way out of the order or anything like that,” Jones replied when asked about that report. “I think I’ve read where they said I replied, ‘We’re playing under the contract as it exists right now. Get ready to play Philadelphia.’ Correct, that was correct.”

With the trade finalized, the Cowboys are looking toward their future while also being of the belief they can win right now, starting with Week 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles

Jerry Jones looks on field

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones before a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens at AT&T Stadium Aug. 16, 2025, in Arlington, Texas. (Sam Hodde/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I want to be sure that our fans understand I think a lot of Micah, and I wish him so much success,” Jones said. “I don’t want him to have success when he plays the Cowboys as much as I do want him to have overall success. Micah Parsons did an outstanding job for us for four years.

“There’s no question that I could have signed him in April. We all know that, to have agreements, all parties have to agree. This was by design. I did make Micah an offer. It wasn’t acceptable, and I honored the fact that it wasn’t done in the way he wanted to do it through an agent. 

“So, he was made an offer. … There’s not an ounce of vindictiveness. There’s no bad feelings on my part on the fact that we didn’t come together on an agreement.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

Published

on

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.

Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.

“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”

Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.

Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.

Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.

“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”

Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.

The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.

Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending