Connect with us

Sports

Salah sets record by winning third PFA Player of the Year award – SUCH TV

Published

on

Salah sets record by winning third PFA Player of the Year award – SUCH TV



Mohamed Salah made history on Tuesday by becoming the first player to win the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Men’s Player of the Year award three times, after leading Liverpool to Premier League glory.

The Egyptian forward scored 29 goals and contributed 18 assists, helping the Reds secure a record-equalling 20th English top-flight title with four games to spare last season. Salah previously won the award in the 2017/18 and 2021/22 campaigns.

The 33-year-old also collected the Football Writers’ Association and Premier League Player of the Year awards in recent months.

Aston Villa’s Morgan Rogers was named Young Player of the Year following a breakthrough season, which included his senior international debut for England.

Salah is joined in the 2024/25 PFA Premier League Team of the Year by Liverpool teammates Virgil van Dijk, Ryan Gravenberch, and Alexis Mac Allister.

Milos Kerkez, who moved to Anfield from Bournemouth in June, is also selected, as are the Arsenal trio of William Saliba, Gabriel Magalhaes and Declan Rice.

Matz Sels and Chris Wood are recognised for their fine campaigns at Nottingham Forest, while wantaway Newcastle striker Alexander Isak is included after finishing second to Salah in the Golden Boot race.

Arsenal’s Mariona Caldentey won the women’s player of the year accolade after her role in helping the Gunners win the Champions League.

The Spanish midfielder scored 19 goals in all competitions, including eight in the Champions League, in her first season in England.

Olivia Smith recently joined Caldentey at Arsenal in a world-record £1 million ($1.4 million) deal and won the women’s young player of the year prize following her superb season at Liverpool.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Wright steps away from TV to focus on Villanova

Published

on

Wright steps away from TV to focus on Villanova


PHILADELPHIA — Jay Wright has decided to step away from being a full-time television analyst after three years to devote more time to his other position at Villanova University.

Wright was hired by CBS Sports and TNT Sports as a college basketball analyst in 2022. He was a game analyst during the regular season before moving to the studio for the NCAA tournament.

“I’m grateful for the incredible experiences and friendships. I look forward to staying connected and collaborating with them on future projects,” Wright said in a statement on social media.

Wright was named a special assistant to the president at Villanova after his retirement. In that role, he is involved with fundraising, advising and education.

The Hall of Fame coach spent 21 seasons at Villanova, where he led the Wildcats to two national titles (2016, 2018) and four appearances in the Final Four. He had an overall record of 642-282 at Hofstra and Villanova.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster

Published

on



Read more



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years

Published

on

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sat in front of reporters Thursday addressing the stunning Micah Parsons trade to the Green Bay Packers. 

The main question on everyone’s mind was why make the trade?

“This gives us a chance to be a better team than we’ve had the last several years,” Jones said with his son, CEO and director of player personnel Stephen Jones, sitting to his right. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 27, 2025. (Kirby Lee/ Imagn Images)

“We did think it was in the best interest of our organization, not only the future, but right now in this season as well.”

It’s hard for Cowboys fans to fathom the deal was made to benefit the team’s win total in 2025 and the future, but Jones offered some specifics to the contrary, starting with the acquisition of Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark as part of the deal. 

“We’ve gained a Pro Bowl player in an area that we had big concerns in — in the inside of our defense,” Jones said. 

“The facts are we need to stop the run. We haven’t been able to stop the run for several years.”

COWBOYS OWNER BLAMES MICAH PARSONS’ AGENT FOR STALLED CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS: ‘TOLD US TO STICK IT UP OUR A–’

Jones added trade talks for Parsons went on throughout the spring, though he said he offered Parsons a deal in April. He has previously said he offered Parsons the highest contract for a non-quarterback in NFL history, and he doubled down Thursday night that he offered him more guaranteed money than the reported $136 million he got in the four-year, $188 million Packers extension he received after being traded. 

“I will say this: It was important that we did get, if we could get it, the kind of interest that we got in making a trade for Micah,” Jones said. “He was an asset we got four good years out of. But when you’re talking about making the contract that he got and for the future, that’s quite a commitment. None of that counts about what he did the first four years. It goes against what he can do for you in the future.”

The Cowboys also received the Packers’ 2026 and 2027 first-round picks, which Jones said he wouldn’t rule out trading for another established player. 

Micah Parsons in training camp

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 26, 2025. (Kirby Lee/Imagn Images)

“Not only do we immediately get a player, but those draft picks could get us … I’m talking top Pro Bowl-type players — could. I’m not necessarily going to say you’ll get those players. You gotta draft them or acquire them,” Jones explained. 

“But they could get us as few as three or as many as five outstanding players. Now, not only do they contribute to a game that needs a lot of players on the field, but they also give you better odds that a high percentage of those are going to be available.”

Jones said that it was a consensus decision, both in the front office and by the coaching staff, to make the trade with the Packers. He added that it was still up in the air Thursday morning, as Clark went to Packers practice as usual.

Jones was also asked about an NFL Network report that said Parsons returned to the Cowboys out of “empathy” when the trade interest was leaked earlier this week. Parsons claims he was told by the team to “play on the 5th year or leave.”

“It was not in any way out of the order or anything like that,” Jones replied when asked about that report. “I think I’ve read where they said I replied, ‘We’re playing under the contract as it exists right now. Get ready to play Philadelphia.’ Correct, that was correct.”

With the trade finalized, the Cowboys are looking toward their future while also being of the belief they can win right now, starting with Week 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles

Jerry Jones looks on field

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones before a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens at AT&T Stadium Aug. 16, 2025, in Arlington, Texas. (Sam Hodde/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I want to be sure that our fans understand I think a lot of Micah, and I wish him so much success,” Jones said. “I don’t want him to have success when he plays the Cowboys as much as I do want him to have overall success. Micah Parsons did an outstanding job for us for four years.

“There’s no question that I could have signed him in April. We all know that, to have agreements, all parties have to agree. This was by design. I did make Micah an offer. It wasn’t acceptable, and I honored the fact that it wasn’t done in the way he wanted to do it through an agent. 

“So, he was made an offer. … There’s not an ounce of vindictiveness. There’s no bad feelings on my part on the fact that we didn’t come together on an agreement.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending