Connect with us

Business

Texas sues Roblox for ‘putting paedophiles and profits’ over safety

Published

on

Texas sues Roblox for ‘putting paedophiles and profits’ over safety


Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says he has sued Roblox over “flagrantly ignoring” safety laws and “deceiving parents” about the dangers the online video gaming platform poses to young people.

In a social media post he said Roblox is a “breeding ground for predators”, accusing Roblox of putting “pixel paedophiles and corporate profit” over the safety of Texas children.

The lawsuit adds to the legal challenges related to online safety and internet predators faced by the gaming giant, which has tens of millions of daily active users.

Roblox told the BBC it is “disappointed” that it is being sued based on “misrepresentations and sensationalised claims”.

The company’s spokesperson said in a statement that it shares Paxton’s commitment to keeping children safe online and that it has introduced measures to remove bad actors and protect its users.

Roblox, which is especially popular with children, operates a massive online platform where users can play solo or with friends.

The platform has been marketed to families and offers a host of educational games that teach subjects including coding, physics and problem-solving.

Users are also offered developer tools to build their own games – a feature that has resulted in some violent and sexual content surfacing on Roblox.

Another feature that allows users to enter servers and interact with strangers online has also been criticised for potentially exposing young players to dangerous individuals.

Parents and children have raised concerns about Roblox, saying that they have seen distressing content or suffered abuse on the platform.

Paxton called on the company to do more to protect children from “sick and twisted freaks hiding behind a screen”.

“Any corporation that enables child abuse will face the full and unrelenting force of the law,” he said in a statement on X.

Texas joins the US states of Kentucky and Louisiana which have also sued Roblox over potential harms to children.

Dave Baszucki, Roblox’s chief executive, previously told the BBC that parents who are uncomfortable with their children playing games on the platform should not let them use it.

“That sounds a little counter-intuitive, but I would always trust parents to make their own decisions,” Mr Baszucki said.

Roblox has introduced features in recent years to tighten age verification and safety for young players.

The platform said it is rolling out technology to estimate a player’s age using video selfies and other measures before they are allowed to communicate on Roblox.

Last year, Roblox also announced it will block under-13s from messaging others on the platform unless a parent or guardian grants permission.

Roblox has been banned in some countries, including Turkey over concerns about child exploitation.

The platform came under scrutiny in Singapore in 2023 after the government said that a self-radicalised teenager had joined ISIS-themed servers on Roblox.

The 16-year-old, who was one of two young people who were detained at the time, had joined Roblox servers that replicated real-life conflict zones such as those in Syria, the Singapore government said.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

RBI sees no signs of excess credit risk, keeps countercyclical capital buffer inactive

Published

on

RBI sees no signs of excess credit risk, keeps countercyclical capital buffer inactive


The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Monday decided against activating the countercyclical capital buffer (CCyB), indicating that current financial and credit conditions do not warrant an additional capital requirement for banks, PTI reported.The central bank said the decision followed a review and empirical assessment of indicators used under the CCyB framework.“Based on review and empirical analysis of CCyB indicators, it has been decided that it is not necessary to activate CCyB at this point in time,” RBI said in a statement.Under the RBI (Commercial Banks – Prudential Norms on Capital Adequacy) Directions, 2025, the CCyB framework is activated when financial conditions indicate rising systemic risks linked to excessive credit growth.The framework primarily relies on the credit-to-GDP gap as a key indicator, along with supplementary metrics.According to the RBI, the CCyB mechanism is intended to serve two broad objectives.Firstly, it requires a bank to build up a buffer of capital in good times, which may be used to maintain the flow of credit to the real sector in difficult times.Secondly, it achieves the broader macro-prudential goal of restricting the banking sector from indiscriminate lending in the periods of excess credit growth that have often been associated with the building up of system-wide risk.The framework was introduced globally after the 2008 financial crisis as part of measures proposed by the Group of Central Bank Governors and Heads of Supervision (GHOS) under the Basel framework to strengthen financial system resilience.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Ford boss hints at return of Fiesta as an electric model

Published

on

Ford boss hints at return of Fiesta as an electric model



The company has announced plans to build seven new models in Europe including a small electric hatchback.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but ‘risks’ remain

Published

on

UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but ‘risks’ remain


“Today’s policymaking is constrained by a more volatile external environment with more frequent and overlapping shocks, a rising public interest bill, in part reflecting market concerns with countries’ elevated debt, and the long-standing challenge of weak productivity growth,” he said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending