Sports
‘They couldn’t achieve what we have’: Shadab hits back at ex-cricketers over criticism – SUCH TV
Pakistan all-rounder Shadab Khan on Wednesday addressed recent criticism from former cricketers after the team qualified for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 Super Eights with a 102-run victory over Namibia in Colombo.
Addressing a post-match press conference after the game, Shadab argued that the former cricketers could not do what the current crop of players have done, highlighting their victory over India in the 2021 edition of the T20 World Cup, which was Pakistan’s first-ever against their rivals in a mega event.
“Former cricketers have their own opinions. They were legends, but even they could not do achieve what we have. We have beaten India in a World Cup,” Shadab told reporters.
The Green Shirts began their campaign with a victory over the Netherlands before thumping the United States of America (USA).
The 2009 champions, however, suffered a gruelling 61-run defeat against arch-rivals India in their third group-stage fixture of the tournament.
The result triggered widespread criticism from former cricketers and analysts, including legendary batter Mohammad Yousuf, who insisted that the time was up for the senior trio of Babar Azam, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Shadab.
“Time’s up for Shaheen, Babar, and Shadab. Pakistan’s T20 squad needs new performers, not empty wins against weaker sides,” Yousuf had written.
Former captain Shahid Afridi echoed Yousuf’s remarks, suggesting dropping the senior trio for their crucial match against Namibia.
“If I were to make the decision, I would bench Babar, I would bench Shaheen, and I would also bench Shadab. I would play the new boys and give the youngsters a chance. For our match against Namibia, I would back them, give them confidence, and let them play,” Afridi had said.
Shadab acknowledged that the side made mistakes in the India game, saying they should have won it. “But our goal is to win the World Cup, and we are following our process.”
Shadab backed the national team’s current form, stating they were on the “right track”, before stressing the need for their continued progress ahead in the tournament.
The all-rounder acknowledged the challenge of the Super Eights stage, during which they will be locking horns with New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka.
“We are on the right track. We need to continue the good things we have been doing. Our batting must carry on in the same way. Sahibzada Farhan is in good form,” Shadab continued.
“The Super Eight will be difficult. These will be high-pressure matches. Ramadan has begun, and it will be like our 12th player,” he concluded.
Sports
Moroccan court sentences 19 fans to jail for AFCON hooliganism
RABAT, Morocco — A Moroccan court Thursday sentenced 19 soccer fans to up to a year in prison on charges of hooliganism stemming from a chaotic Africa Cup of Nations final between Morocco and Senegal that saw supporters try to storm the field.
After a hearing that lasted more than five hours, the presiding judge ruled that the fans — 18 Senegalese and a French national — were guilty of more than half a dozen charges, including damaging sporting facilities and committing violence during a sporting event.
Eleven people were sentenced to one year in prison and handed a $550 fine. Four were sentenced to six months and given a $218 fine. The remaining four were sentenced to three months and a $130 fine, lawyer Naima El Guellaf told The Associated Press.
One defendant fainted upon hearing the sentences. Others refused to rise from the defendants’ bench when ordered to enter the small door leading to the holding cells. Family members, visibly shaken, insisted their relatives were innocent.
Attorneys said they plan to appeal the decision that they view as severe.
The defendants were arrested last month when outraged supporters tried to storm the pitch to protest a late penalty awarded to host Morocco during the final, which Senegal eventually won 1-0. They were held in custody for more than a month awaiting judgment.
During Thursday’s hearing, attended by Senegalese and French diplomats as well as relatives of several defendants, attorneys argued that the court lacked sufficient grounds to convict their clients.
The public prosecutor sought the maximum penalties against the fans, arguing that they had disrupted the orderly conduct of the match. He added that the damage was estimated at more than $476,719.
Morocco has long grappled with episodes of soccer-related hooliganism, and courts in the North African nation routinely handle cases tied to such incidents. However, this case was unusual as it involved only foreign nationals.
The sentences marked the latest development stemming from a final that prompted senior officials in both countries to urge peace and fraternity amid social media tensions and a surge in what Moroccan rights groups described as “hate speech.”
Last month, CAF, the African soccer body, issued $1 million in fines and bans against Senegal and Morocco over the tumultuous game. Morocco announced it plans to appeal the decision, seeing the sanctions as disproportionate to the incidents.
The game was marred by Senegalese players walking off the pitch protesting a penalty awarded to Morocco in stoppage time. Outraged Senegalese supporters threw chairs onto the field and battled with stewards before police arrived.
The match and its outcome prompted senior officials in both countries to reinforce diplomatic and economic ties they described as “strong and historic,” seeking to prevent the game from straining bilateral relations.
Sports
Something strange happened to Jordan Stolz — he lost
The U.S. speedskating star finishes second in the 1,500 behind Ning Zhongyan of China. Stolz still has two golds and a silver in these Games.
Source link
Sports
Iowa apologizes for fan getting to Fred Hoiberg in handshake line
The Iowa athletic department apologized Wednesday for a security breach that allowed an individual to interfere in the coaches’ and players’ handshake line and approach Nebraska coach Fred Hoiberg.
Videos posted online show the individual coming out of the stands as fans rushed the court after the Hawkeyes’ win over the ninth-ranked Cornhuskers. The person appears to heckle and point his camera phone at Hoiberg, who made a swiping motion at the phone with his right hand.
Hoiberg’s hand appeared to inadvertently strike an Iowa staff member who was going through the line. Hoiberg reached back to grab the staff member’s arm and pointed to the individual who had come toward him with the camera.
“The University of Iowa Athletics Department implemented its court‑intrusion guidelines following last evening’s Iowa vs. Nebraska men’s basketball game,” Iowa’s athletic department said in a statement. “Unfortunately, an individual gained access to the court through a restricted area, directly confronting Coach Hoiberg and putting Nebraska players, coaches, and staff in a reactive situation.
“We apologize for this incident and will conduct a review of our procedures and security measures to determine what adjustments may be needed to further strengthen our protocols and help prevent similar incidents in the future.”
The Big Ten said it discussed the situation with both schools and would take no disciplinary action against Hoiberg. The conference said it appreciates Iowa’s efforts to address postgame security protocols.
Nebraska athletics and Hoiberg declined to comment.
Iowa won the game 57-52. Nebraska has lost four of its past six after a 20-0 start.
-
Business1 week agoGold price today: How much 18K, 22K and 24K gold costs in Delhi, Mumbai & more – Check rates for your city – The Times of India
-
Business7 days agoTop stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for February 13, 2026 – check list – The Times of India
-
Fashion1 week agoIndia’s PDS Q3 revenue up 2% as margins remain under pressure
-
Politics1 week agoIndia clears proposal to buy French Rafale jets
-
Fashion7 days ago$10→ $12.10 FOB: The real price of zero-duty apparel
-
Fashion1 week agoWhen 1% tariffs move billions: Inside the US apparel market repricing
-
Tech1 week agoElon Musk’s X Appears to Be Violating US Sanctions by Selling Premium Accounts to Iranian Leaders
-
Tech3 days agoRakuten Mobile proposal selected for Jaxa space strategy | Computer Weekly
