Politics
Turkey Restricts Israeli Ships and Official Flights from Its Territory

Turkey’s top diplomat announced on Friday that Ankara has closed its ports and airspace to Israeli ships and aircraft, with a diplomatic source telling AFP that the restrictions specifically target “official” flights. The move comes amid escalating tensions between Turkey and Israel, reflecting Ankara’s strong stance in response to recent developments in Gaza.
The decision is expected to impact diplomatic and official travel, while signaling Turkey’s growing disapproval of Israeli actions in the region.
Ties between Turkey and Israel have been shattered by Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza, with Ankara accusing Israel of committing “genocide” in the tiny Palestinian territory — a term roundly rejected by Israel — and suspending all trade ties in May last year.
“We have closed our ports to Israeli ships. We do not allow Turkish ships to go to Israeli ports…. We do not allow container ships carrying weapons and ammunition to Israel to enter our ports, nor do we allow their aircraft to enter our airspace,” Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan told lawmakers in a televised address.
Asked for clarification about the minister’s remarks, a Turkish diplomatic source said its airspace was “closed to all aircraft carrying weapons (to Israel) and to Israel’s official flights”.
It was not immediately clear when the airspace restrictions were put in place.
In November, Turkey refused to let the Israeli president’s plane cross its airspace, forcing him to cancel a planned visit to the COP29 climate conference in Azerbaijan.
And in May, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu cancelled a visit to Baku after Ankara reportedly refused overflight rights.
Trade cut off:
On Monday ZIM, Israel’s biggest shipping firm, said it had been informed that under new regulations passed by Ankara on August 22, “vessels that are either owned, managed or operated by an entity related to Israel will not be permitted to berth in Turkish ports”.
The information was made public in a filing to the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in which ZIM warned the new regulation was expected to “negatively impact on the company’s financial and operational results”.
The ban also extended to other ships carrying military cargo destined for Israel, it said.
“Separately.. vessels that are carrying military cargo destined to Israel will not be permitted to berth in Turkish ports; in addition, Turkish-flagged vessels will be prohibited from berthing in Israeli ports.”
Fidan’s remarks were the first public acknowledgement of the ban.
“No other country has cut off trade with Israel,” he told Turkish lawmakers at an emergency session on the Gaza crisis.
Turkish officials have repeatedly insisted that all trade ties with Israel have been cut, vowing there would be no normalisation as long as the Gaza war continues.
But some Turkish opposition figures have accused Ankara of allowing trade to continue, notably by allowing oil shipments from Azerbaijan to pass through the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) pipeline running through Turkey — claims dismissed by Turkey’s energy ministry as “completely unfounded”.
Although Azerbaijan has long been one of Israel’s main oil suppliers, data published on its state customs website this year no longer showed Israel as one of the countries that purchase oil from Baku, Israel’s Haaretz newspaper reported earlier this year.
Politics
Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death


- Makassar city council official accuses protesters of igniting blaze.
- Military chief says situation in Makassar returned to normal.
- Protesters in Bali say they want int’l attention about legal injustice.
A fire started by protesters at a council building in eastern Indonesia killed at least three people, a local official said Saturday, after demonstrations across the country following the death of a man hit by a police vehicle.
Southeast Asia’s biggest economy was rocked by protests in major cities including the capital Jakarta on Friday after footage spread of a motorcycle taxi driver being run over by a police tactical vehicle in earlier rallies against low wages and financial perks for lawmakers.
Protests in Makassar, the biggest city on the eastern island of Sulawesi, descended into chaos outside the provincial and local city council buildings, which were both set on fire as demonstrators hurled rocks and Molotov cocktails.
Three people were killed as a result of the fire at the Makassar city council, its secretary Rahmat Mappatoba told AFP. “They were trapped in the burning building,” he said, accusing protesters of igniting the blaze.
“Usually during a demonstration, protesters only throw rocks or burn a tyre in front of the office. They never stormed into the building or burned it.”
Two workers at the city council died at the scene and a third person, a civil servant, died in hospital.
At least four people were injured in the fire and were being treated at hospital, Rahmat added.
Hundreds of people were seen in footage posted by local media cheering and clapping as fire engulfed the building Friday with few security forces in sight.
One man was heard shouting: “There are people upstairs!”
In footage verified by AFP, smouldering debris was seen falling from the roof of the city council building surrounded by palm trees as charred cars flickered with flames.
Inside protesters lit several fires as parts of the building collapsed, while others smashed glass and chanted “revolution”.
By Saturday, the building appeared to be a blacked-out wreck, with dozens of charred cars around it, as local residents inspected the scene, local media footage showed.
Windiyatno, South Sulawesi’s military chief said in a statement on Saturday that the situation in Makassar had “now returned to normal”.
Makassar and South Sulawesi police did not immediately respond to AFP’s requests for comments.
Prabowo test
Protests continued on Saturday in different areas of Indonesia’s vast archipelago.
Hundreds of students and ojek drivers protested in front of the police headquarters in Bali, Indonesia’s most popular tourist hotspot.
“Bali is the centre of tourism in Indonesia, and we want to protest here to gain international attention about the legal injustice, corruption, and the impunity of police crimes,” protester Narendra Wicaksono told AFP.
Hundreds of students in Surabaya also rallied outside the East Java police headquarters, according to an AFP journalist at the scene.
In Jakarta, hundreds had massed on Friday outside the headquarters of the elite Mobile Brigade Corp (Brimob) paramilitary police unit they blamed for motorcycle gig driver Affan Kurniawan’s death the day before.
Protesters threw firecrackers as police responded with tear gas.
Police said they had detained seven officers for questioning in connection with Affan’s death.
The protests were the biggest and most violent of Prabowo Subianto’s presidency, a key test for the leader less than a year into his rule.
He has urged calm, and ordered an investigation into the driver’s death and that the officers involved be held accountable.
Prabowo said on Friday the government was “committed to guaranteeing the livelihood” of the driver’s family, posting images on social media with them at their home.
He has pledged fast, state-driven growth but has already faced protests against widespread government budget cuts to fund his populist policies including a billion-dollar free meal programme.
Politics
At least 70 killed in capsize of migrant boat off West Africa, says Gambia


At least 70 people were killed when a boat carrying migrants capsized off the coast of West Africa, Gambia’s foreign affairs ministry said late on Friday, in one of the deadliest accidents in recent years along a popular migration route to Europe.
Another 30 people are feared dead after the vessel, believed to have departed from Gambia and carrying mostly Gambian and Senegalese nationals, sank off the coast of Mauritania early on Wednesday, the ministry said in a statement.
It was carrying an estimated 150 passengers, 16 of whom had been rescued. Mauritanian authorities recovered 70 bodies on Wednesday and Thursday, and witness accounts suggest over 100 may have died, the statement said.
The Atlantic migration route from the coast of West Africa to the Canary Islands, typically used by African migrants trying to reach Spain, is one of the world’s deadliest.
More than 46,000 irregular migrants reached the Canary Islands last year, a record, according to the European Union. More than 10,000 died attempting the journey, a 58% increase over 2023, according to the rights group Caminando Fronteras.
Gambia’s foreign affairs ministry implored its nationals to “refrain from embarking on such perilous journeys, which continue to claim the lives of many”.
Politics
US allows Pakistan seafood exports for four years

Pakistan’s seafood industry has received a significant boost as the United States granted a four-year approval for fish exports, Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Junaid Anwar Chaudhry announced.
Chaudhry said the license is global recognition of Pakistan’s seafood quality standards, proving that the country’s fisheries meet strict U.S. benchmarks.
He added that this approval will ensure continuity in exports to one of the world’s most valuable markets.
Sharing figures, the minister noted that Pakistan exported 242,000 tons of fish last year, generating $489 million in foreign exchange.
With U.S. access secured for the next four years, seafood exports are expected to increase, with projections reaching $600 million in the coming year.
He emphasized that U.S. approval will bring stability to the export sector, strengthen Pakistan’s global credibility, and open up fresh opportunities for the fishing community.
“This is a proud achievement for Pakistan, as our fisheries have demonstrated the ability to meet international quality requirements,” Chaudhry stated.
Meanwhile, Federal Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb recently hinted at major U.S. investments in multiple sectors of Pakistan following successful trade talks.
In an informal discussion upon his return from the United States, Muhammad Aurangzeb said that the country will soon receive encouraging news of substantial investments across various sectors from the US.
He stated that during his visit, Pakistan achieved significant success in key meetings held as part of trade negotiations, which were highly appreciated by the US administration.
The minister described the trade talks with the US as a major success for the country, noting that Pakistan is moving in the right direction and the results will be visible soon.
Muhammad Aurangzeb underlined the need for making decisions that will bring long-term improvements to the economy and expressed satisfaction over the mutually successful outcome of the negotiations.
-
Tech3 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series
-
Sports3 days ago
New Zealand rugby player Shane Christie, who suffered multiple concussions, dies aged 39 – SUCH TV
-
Tech3 days ago
Top CDC Officials Resign After Director Is Pushed Out
-
Fashion3 days ago
ICE cotton futures fall for 2nd consecutive day on strong crop outlook
-
Fashion3 days ago
Portugal Jewels Chiado boutique nominated for two global design awards
-
Fashion3 days ago
Israel’s Delta Galil posts $470 mn Q2 sales, updates 2025 guidance
-
Sports3 days ago
Dolphins GM Chris Grier says fans threatened his family in string of vile emails after team’s lackluster year
-
Sports3 days ago
New-look Pac-12 extends CW deal through 2031