Connect with us

Business

Value is the key to McDonald’s growth plans, but it’s creating tensions with some franchisees

Published

on

Value is the key to McDonald’s growth plans, but it’s creating tensions with some franchisees


The restaurant sector has spent the past 18 months trying to figure out how to reach consumers in a hypercompetitive and uneven economy. McDonald’s has doubled down on value messaging to customers via Extra Value Meals and Snack Wraps, which boosted its sales in the fourth quarter.

On Wednesday the company reported better-than-expected sales and delivered beats on the top and bottom lines, driven by buzzy promotions and value offerings.

“By listening to customers and taking action, we have improved traffic and strengthened our value & affordability scores,” CEO Chris Kempczinski said in a statement.

But the focus on value has caused frustrations at times among parts of the chain’s operator base.

The company rolled out new franchise standards for McDonald’s operators on Jan. 1, including assessing locations on how their prices deliver value. McDonald’s said its owners are still able to set their own prices, but the standards nonetheless shape and define how franchisees — which operate 95% of McDonald’s restaurants — run their stores.

A cohort of operators is standing ground in their ability to continue to independently set prices.

The National Owners Association, an independent franchisee advocate group, adopted a Franchisee Bill of Rights in August and circulated it in an email to members last month as the standards took effect, according to a copy of the message viewed by CNBC.

The last of the bill’s rights is the “right to set prices without fear of recourse,” which says, “Franchisees, as independent Owner/Operators, have the right to set menu prices for their restaurants based on their own business judgment and market conditions. This right exists irrespective of the pricing decisions of any national, regional, or local co-op or franchisor initiative. Franchisees must be free to manage their pricing strategy without fear of intimidation, or diminished support from McDonald’s or its affiliated entities.”

It also lists the “right to renewal and transfer,” giving owners the “absolute right to a fair and reasonable opportunity to renew franchise agreements … subject only to objective, clearly stated standards of approval.”

In December, McDonald’s told operators it would begin value assessments as part of its updates to franchising standards. Continued noncompliance could result in penalties or even termination.

At the time, the company said its new standards would provide “greater clarity … to ensure every restaurant delivers consistent, reliable value across the full customer experience,” according to a memo reviewed by CNBC.

In a statement, McDonald’s told CNBC that the business model creates the opportunity for entrepreneurs to be in business “for themselves, but never by themselves,” adding, “As franchisor, we have a responsibility to protect the strength and integrity of the brand and ensure every Owner/Operator upholds the standards that make McDonald’s so successful, for the benefit of all. This includes showing up for customers with great value – a core expectation the majority of our franchisees understand and proudly deliver.”

Some operators bristled at the changes in recent Wall Street research. In a two-part survey of 20 McDonald’s operators released last month, Kalinowski Equity Research wrote that it asked franchisee contacts if they were in favor of the changes to national franchising standards. For context, McDonald’s said it has some 2,000 owner/operators in the U.S. franchise system.

“As it turns out, every single one of the franchisees who responded to this question said ‘No.’ This is the first time in the 20+ year history of our McDonald’s Franchisee Survey that all respondents to a Yes-or-No question have all provided the exact same answer,” Kalinowski wrote.

Kalinowski also had operators quantify their relationship with McDonald’s corporate arm on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent. The average response received was 1.37, a “pretty noticeable step down from the October 2025 average response of 1.71,” the survey said.

It’s not the first time some operators and McDonald’s have butted heads. Tensions have surfaced in recent years over a restaurant grading system that took effect and changes made to how restaurant agreements are renewed.

Still, McDonald’s stock was one of the better performers in an abysmal year for the restaurant sector in 2025, rising 5%.

Kalinowski’s respondents also rated their business outlook for the next six months on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being poor and 5, excellent. The average response was 2.58, the best in the 11 quarters. Last quarter, CEO Chris Kempczinski said full-year cash flow was set to be solid for operators at the same time value investments were being made.

“Throughout the quarter, McDonald’s seems to be doing a better general job of promoting value to quick-service consumers, or at least it’s doing so notably better than some other large, quick-service burger concepts are,” Kalinowski wrote.

Likewise, fellow firm BTIG recently upgraded the stock.

“We expect the change in value strategy and perception to lead to the most meaningful earnings growth for the company since 2023,” BTIG wrote.



Source link

Business

Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street

Published

on

Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street


Dalal Street is heading into the new trading week with global uncertainty firmly in focus, as investors keep a close watch on the evolving situation in the Middle East, fluctuations in crude oil prices and the behaviour of foreign investors. Analysts said that sentiment is likely to remain fragile and heavily influenced by developments in negotiations between the United States and Iran, while movements in the rupee, global equities and the US dollar are also expected to shape market direction in the days ahead.Trading activity during the week is also expected to be shaped by the rupee’s movement against the US dollar, while investors continue to assess the impact of global uncertainty on risk appetite. Markets will remain closed on Thursday for Bakri Id.A key trigger for sentiment emerged over the weekend after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations between Washington and Tehran had shown some progress, raising expectations that the ongoing conflict in West Asia could move closer to resolution.Ajit Mishra, SVP, Research at Religare Broking Ltd, said investors would closely track developments tied to crude oil, global currencies and bond markets. “This week is expected to remain highly sensitive to global macroeconomic developments and currency movements. Investors will also monitor crude oil prices, developments in US-Iran negotiations, and the trajectory of the US dollar and bond yields, all of which are expected to influence foreign flows and overall risk appetite,” he said.Apart from geopolitical developments, the Reserve Bank’s decision to transfer a record Rs 2.87 lakh crore dividend to the government for the year ended March 2026 is also expected to remain in focus. The announcement comes at a time when rising import costs and supply chain pressures linked to the West Asia conflict continue to weigh on the economy.According to Mishra, market participants are expected to evaluate how the RBI payout could affect liquidity conditions, fiscal flexibility and government spending in the months ahead.Ponmudi R, CEO of Enrich Money, said market behaviour in the coming sessions is expected to remain sensitive to fresh headlines surrounding diplomatic negotiations and oil prices. “Markets are expected to remain volatile and heavily headline-driven in the coming week, with investor attention firmly focused on developments surrounding the US–Iran situation, broader diplomatic negotiations and movements in crude oil prices,” he said.“While hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough and easing geopolitical tensions have improved sentiment modestly, investors continue to remain cautious as uncertainty surrounding the final outcome of the negotiations remains elevated,” Ponmudi added.He further said investors are expected to watch institutional flows, global equity trends, macroeconomic indicators and the rupee for further market cues. “With global uncertainty still elevated, market participants are likely to remain selective and cautious despite the recent improvement in sentiment,” he said.Vinod Nair, Head of Research at Geojit Investments Limited, said markets would require stronger support factors to build a more constructive setup. According to him, a meaningful decline in crude oil prices, steady foreign institutional investor flows and stable Q1FY27 earnings expectations without major downgrades would be important for sustained momentum.In the previous week, the BSE benchmark index rose 177.36 points, or 0.23%, while the NSE Nifty advanced 75.8 points, or 0.32%.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn

Published

on

‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn



Reforms are needed of the welfare system to tackle the high numbers of young people not in work or education, says Alan Milburn.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Pets at Home hoping for boost under new boss despite consumer pressure

Published

on

Pets at Home hoping for boost under new boss despite consumer pressure


Pets at Home investors will be hoping the retailer’s new boss can lay out a strategy to return it to profit growth despite a challenging consumer backdrop.

Shares in the company currently sit close to its lowest level for almost seven years following a recent downturn in the group’s retail arm.

The dip in the group’s performance contributed to the departure of previous chief executive Lyssa McGowan late last year.

In March, former Waitrose boss James Bailey took the reins in a bid to drive a turnaround in performance.

Shareholders will be hoping the new boss can show early signs of improvement and a long-term strategy to drive growth in Pets at Home’s update on Wednesday May 27.

EK6R79 Pets at home interior store space

The pet products retailer and vet chain is expected to report an underlying pre-tax profit of around £93 million for the year to March, according to analysts.

It would represent a roughly 30% fall from last year, after the company came under pressure from weak demand for discretionary products.

Analysts have said investors will be looking at early trading in the current financial year to see how consumer spending is holding up.

AJ Bell’s investment director Russ Mould said: “Pets at Home could badly do with some renewed pep.

“Under executive chair Ian Burke, who has returned to a non-executive role after leading the business on an interim basis, Pets at Home laid out a plan to fix a retail business which has been badly affected by a reduction in discretionary spend on toys and treats for Britons’ furry and feathered friends.

“The country may have a reputation for loving their animal companions but in an environment where households are having to watch their pennies, these nice-to-have items were off the list.”

The group has also seen sales of pet food and similar products face fierce pricing competition from non-specialist retailers, such as supermarkets.

It has since cut prices among around 1,000 products in order to help drive activity, with cash-strapped shoppers looking for value.

Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that UK retail sales volumes dropped to an 11-month low in April, with a 1.3% fall for the month.

Pets at Home is predicted to report revenues of £1.47 billion for the past year, just marginally lower than £1.482 billion reported last year.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending