Business
More than 1,000 flights cancelled as US air traffic cuts enter second day
Getty ImagesMore than 1,400 flights to, from, or within the US were cancelled on Saturday after airlines were told this week to cut traffic during the federal government shutdown.
Nearly 6,000 flights were also delayed, down from over 7,000 delays on Friday, according to flight tracker FlightAware.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced earlier in the week that it would be reducing air travel capacity by up to10% at 40 of the nation’s busiest airports as air traffic controllers, who are working without pay during the shutdown, report fatigue.
Republicans and Democrats remain divided over how to end the impasse in Congress as the shutdown, which began 1 October, continues.
Saturday marked the 39th day of the longest shutdown in history as Republicans and Democrats still have not agreed on a funding resolution to reopen the government.
Senators are in Washington over the weekend for bipartisan negotitations aimed at ending the shutdown, which is beginning to be felt by more and more Americans amid cuts to food aid payments and the flight disruptions.
In a statement on Saturday, American Airlines urged “leaders in Washington, D.C., to reach an immediate resolution to end the shutdown”.
New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport was experiencing some of the longest wait times. As of Saturday afternoon, arrivals to the airport were delayed by an average of more than four hours, while departures from the airport were delayed by an average of 1.5 hours, according to the FAA.
The airports with the most cancelled flights on Saturday, both to and from the location, were Charlotte/Douglas International, Newark Liberty International, and Chicago O’Hare International, according to FlightAware.
Departures to John F Kennedy International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, and La Guardia were delayed by nearly three hours, over 2.5 hours, and about an hour, respectively, the FAA reported as of Saturday afternoon.
With the Thanksgiving holiday approaching on 27 November, it’s one of the busiest travel seasons of the year in the US.
It’s not just commercial flights that have been affected. Restrictions on private jets are also in place, Secretary Duffy said in a Saturday post on X.
“We’ve reduced their volume at high traffic airports — instead having private jets utilize smaller airports or airfields so busy controllers can focus on commercial aviation,” Duffy wrote. “That’s only fair.”
And things will likely get worse in the coming days as the FAA increases the percentage of cancelled flights.
On Thursday, the agency announced that the flight reductions would be gradual, starting at 4% of flights on Friday before rising to 6% by 11 November, 8% by 13 November, and the full 10% by 14 November.
The FAA said the cuts were necessary to maintain safety as air traffic controllers have been overworked during the shutdown.
As essential workers, the controllers are required to continue working without pay, and as a result, many have called out sick or taken on second jobs to afford necessities, unions say.
The controllers are just some of the 1.4 million federal workers who have either been working without pay or been put on forced during the shutdown.
Another factor impacting air travel is that most of the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) 64,000 agents are also not being paid while the shutdown is in place.
During the previous government shutdown, under US President Donald Trump in 2018, it was found that up to 10% of TSA staff chose to stay at home rather than work for free.
Business
Fan spending on Harry Styles Wembley gigs set to top £1bn
Fan spending for Harry Styles’s 12-night run at Wembley Stadium is set to reach £1.1 billion despite ongoing cost-of-living pressures, figures suggest.
Ticket-holders are expected to spend a total of £981 on average attending the Together, Together tour – which is limited to London in the UK – including travelling to the venue, staying overnight, buying merchandise and other costs, according to a survey for Barclays bank.
The figure exceeds the average £848 spent by fans who flocked to Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, and the average £766 on attending the Oasis Live ’25 shows, although these were both held across four UK locations, leading to lower travel costs.
Styles’ fans anticipate they will spend an average £102 on official tour merchandise, while nine in 10 will participate in a “fan trend” on the day with 63% planning to wear a Harry Styles-themed look.
A fifth (20%) will make sure their outfits are co-ordinated with their friends and 22% hope to create or exchange fan-made items with other fans.
Barclays said the event was set to be a “major cultural moment” as a million ticket-holders travel to London for the 12 dates beginning on June 12.
With just one other European tour location, in Amsterdam, Styles’ Wembley residency will be the most performances by any artist in a single year at the venue, which has a capacity of around 90,000 people for music events.
The survey found those going to the show spent an average of £143.20 on their ticket, with 19% saying this was more than they planned but 66% saying they would have been willing to pay more if needed.
Other expected costs include an average £141.20 on accommodation, £103.10 on transport and £103.10 on food and drinks before the show.
Some 28% of fans say they are planning other activities such as sightseeing and exhibitions while in London.
More than a quarter (27%) of ticket-holders view the concert as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and 17% said FOMO (fear of missing out) played a part in their purchase.
Almost 74% of those polled said getting tickets to sold-out or in-demand events now felt like a status symbol.
Tom Corbett, managing director of sponsorship and client experience at Barclays, said: “This tour shows just how powerful live entertainment can be, benefiting consumers and businesses alike.
“‘Concert tourism’ is on the rise because of the extent to which people value unique, shared experiences – so much so that they’re willing to invest in them even when cutting back elsewhere, and to travel to see their favourite artists perform.”
Opinium surveyed 2,000 respondents, and an additional 200 ticket-holders, between April 28 and May 1.
Business
CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low
A sign sits outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Roybal campus in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. March 18, 2026.
Megan Varner | Reuters
One American has tested positive for Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo in connection to the deadly outbreak in central Africa that global health agencies are racing to contain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday.
The person was exposed as part of their work in Congo, developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, told reporters on a call. The CDC and State Department are working to move that individual and six other Americans exposed to Ebola to Germany for treatment, care and monitoring.
But Pillai emphasized that no cases tied to the outbreak have been confirmed in the U.S., and that the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low.
Still, the CDC also announced on Monday that for the next 30 days, it will restrict entry into the country for people without a U.S. passport who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan or Uganda in the last three weeks.
The update came one day after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern.” The outbreak does not meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned that the high positivity rate and increasing cases and deaths point toward a “potentially much larger outbreak” than what is being detected and reported.
As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected cases and 88 suspected deaths have been reported, primarily in Congo but also in neighboring Uganda, according to the CDC.
The specific virus involved in this outbreak, called Bundibugyo, has no vaccine or treatment. Historically, that virus has death rates ranging from 25% to 50%, the CDC added.
But agency officials told reporters on Monday that work is underway to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this specific strain of Ebola.
Business
Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?
Musk’s loss against OpenAI is the latest in a string of courtroom defeats.
Source link
-
Entertainment6 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Fashion5 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment1 week agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Sports1 week agoJacob Fatu unleashes vicious assault on Roman Reigns after World Heavyweight Championship loss at WWE Backlash
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet
-
Tech1 week agoPapa Johns Is Getting Into Drone Delivery—but Not for Pizza
