Connect with us

Business

Govt Committed To Promoting Innovation In Critical Minerals Field: MoS

Published

on

Govt Committed To Promoting Innovation In Critical Minerals Field: MoS


New Delhi: As part of the strategic effort to achieve self-reliance in critical minerals, Minister of State for Coal Satish Chandra Dubey said on Wednesday that the government is committed to promoting innovation in the sector. The minister made this statement at the inauguration of a new Research & Innovation Centre in Noida, set up by the Uttar Pradesh-based critical minerals producer Lohum.

“The Government is committed to promoting innovation in the field of critical minerals, and this new research center is a commendable step in that direction. It will play a pivotal role in accelerating India’s transition towards mineral independence and sustainable energy,” said the Minister.

At the facility, the company’s scientists are conducting advanced research on 15 of the 27 critical minerals identified by the Government of India, including cobalt, nickel, lithium, graphite, aluminium, copper, and rare earth elements, a release from the company said.

In alignment with the government’s National Critical Mineral Mission the innovation centre aims to advance research and innovation in a value chain vital for the country’s economy, energy security, and technological leadership, it added. The centre includes various laboratories specialising in rare earth elements, magnets, batteries, cathode active materials, membranes, coin cells, carbon, nickel-lithium-cobalt etc.

Lohum invests 5 per cent of its annual revenue and 10 per cent of its workforce in R&D, the company said. A team of over 100 scientists is expanding knowledge frontiers and delivering market-ready solutions for a circular economy of critical minerals, it added.

“This expanded, upgraded, and cutting-edge Research & Innovation Center is the new engine for Lohum’s vision of building world-class capabilities in critical minerals manufacturing. We are proud to contribute to India’s journey of becoming a global technology leader, as this technology leadership begins with intensive R&D in critical minerals,” said Rajat Verma, Founder & CEO of Lohum. On Tuesday, the coal ministry informed the Parliament that the curbs imposed by China on key rare earth magnets are impacting the Indian industries, including electric vehicle manufacturers



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Trump’s ‘dead Economy’ Jibe Falls Flat As India’s GDP Growth Surges To 7.8%

Published

on

Trump’s ‘dead Economy’ Jibe Falls Flat As India’s GDP Growth Surges To 7.8%


New Delhi: In a major embarrassment for US President Donald Trump, who in a rhetorical overdrive termed India as a “dead economy,” the country’s economic growth has accelerated to 7.8 per cent in the April to June quarter, fortifying its position as the world’s fastest-growing major economy. 

The strong economic performance amid the US tariff turmoil comes on the back of a 7.4 per cent growth in the previous Jan-March quarter (Q4 FY25).

The strong macroeconomic fundamentals of the economy are reflected in the high foreign exchange reserves, which are sufficient to finance 11 months of imports, and inflation is well under control.

Add Zee News as a Preferred Source


(Also Read: Key Financial Rules Changing From September 2025)

Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal said on Friday that India’s exports this year will be higher than last year, reflecting the growing competitiveness and resilience of the Indian industry, while the government is reaching out to partner countries across the globe to open up new opportunities.

Goyal highlighted India’s expanding network of Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) with developed countries, including Australia, the UAE, Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, and the UK, with negotiations ongoing with the European Union and others.

These agreements will further open global opportunities for Indian industries such as construction, steel, and allied sectors, he pointed out.

Goyal further highlighted that several developed countries are eager to expand trade relations with India, noting that nations such as Qatar and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have expressed keen interest in entering into Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) with India.

(Also Read: Key Financial Rules Changing From September 2025)

The minister’s assurance came in the backdrop of the hike in US tariffs on Indian exports to 50 per cent as a punitive step for buying Russian oil.

According to economists, the macroeconomic impact of the US hike in tariffs would be cushioned by the large size of India’s domestic market.

A recent Morgan Stanley report stated that India is the “best placed country in Asia,” amid the global uncertainty triggered by US President Donald Trump’s threat to jack up tariffs, because of the nation’s low goods exports to GDP ratio.

“While India is exposed to direct tariff risks, we believe on balance India is less exposed to global goods trade slowdown, considering that it has the lowest goods exports to GDP ratio in the region,” the report stated.

According to a Fitch report, the large size of India’s domestic market, which reduces reliance on external demand, is expected to insulate the country from the US tariff hike, with the economy expected to maintain a growth of 6.5 per cent in FY26.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Spirit Airlines files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time in a year

Published

on

Spirit Airlines files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time in a year


A Spirit Airlines Airbus A320 taxis at Los Angeles International Airport after arriving from Boston on September 1, 2024 in Los Angeles, California.

Kevin Carter | Getty Images News | Getty Images

Spirit Airlines on Friday filed for bankruptcy protection for the second time in a year, just months after the country’s largest budget carrier failed find to sturdy financial footing when it came out of Chapter 11 protection in March.

Spirit debtholders agreed in the airline’s previous bankruptcy to exchange $795 million in debt for equity, but the carrier avoided bigger changes to cut costs, like getting rid of planes or more dramatically shrinking its footprint.

Spirit now says it will reduce its network and shrink its fleet, cuts that it said will reduce costs by “hundreds of millions of dollars” a year.

“Since emerging from our previous restructuring, which was targeted exclusively on reducing Spirit’s funded debt and raising equity capital, it has become clear that there is much more work to be done and many more tools are available to best position Spirit for the future,” Spirit CEO Dave Davis said in a news release on Friday.

The carrier sought to reassure customers that they can continue to book and fly on Spirit after its bankruptcy filing.

“Virtually every major U.S. airline has used these tools to improve their businesses and position them for long-term success,” Spirit posted on its Instagram account on Friday, written in white against a black background, uncharacteristic for the carrier that is usually featuring its bright-yellow planes and tropical beaches.

Read more CNBC airline news

Dashed hopes

Spirit, known for its bright yellow planes, had expected to come out stronger from its previous bankruptcy, which it entered in November and emerged from in March. But the airline was dragged down by continued high costs and weaker U.S. domestic travel demand.

In a court filing in December, Spirit had forecast a net profit of $252 million this year. But earlier this month, it said it instead lost nearly $257 million since March 13, after it exited Chapter 11, through the end of June.

Spirit warned a few weeks ago that it might not be able to survive a year unless it significantly increased its cash. It also said its credit card processor was seeking additional collateral. It then borrowed the entire $275 million available under its revolving credit facility and said that the card processor could hold back up to $3 million a day from the airline.

Spirit’s shares are down 72% over the past month.

Labor cuts

Labor unions warned pilots and flight attendants earlier this month that more changes could be ahead. Hundreds of flight attendants are already on voluntary leave, and Spirit has planned to furlough hundreds of pilots this year to cut costs.

“This bankruptcy will be harder and look different than last year, but we will keep you closely informed and stick together as we move forward,” the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA told the carrier’s flight attendants on Friday after Spirit’s filing.

It said it expects more leaves will be offered. “As we communicated a few weeks ago, we urge you to take an honest look at your personal situation, examine all your options, and prepare for all possible scenarios,” the union said.

Rivals circle

Spirit had struggled for years as it dealt with a glut of U.S. flights, a Pratt & Whitney engine recall and a failed takeover by JetBlue Airways, a deal that was blocked in court.

Spirit’s aircraft lessors had reached out to rival airlines in recent weeks to gauge executives’ interest in some of the carrier’s planes, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks were private.

The carrier is the United States’ largest budget airline, followed closely by rival Frontier Airlines, which has tried and failed to merge with Spirit repeatedly since 2022.

Frontier on Tuesday announced 20 new routes that compete with Spirit to win over its struggling competitor’s customers.

Spirit has been an icon of budget travel and its bare-bones service — and fees for bags and everything else — became a favorite punchline for comedians.

Over the years, larger airlines like American and United rolled out their own basic fares for price-sensitive customers, but with more perks on board like snacks and big global networks where loyalty members could use their miles for more destinations.

Another challenge was that many travelers, especially post-pandemic, have sought out pricier and more spacious seats on board, as well as more international travel. Spirit has tried to rebrand to bundle fares and provide more premium seating options, though competitors have still said they have an advantage in part because they have bigger networks and more brand loyalty.





Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Inaugural Essence HBCU Classic football game to kick off Saturday in Boston

Published

on

Inaugural Essence HBCU Classic football game to kick off Saturday in Boston


FILE PHOTO: A general view of the field during the Yale Bulldogs vs Harvard Crimson football game at Harvard Stadium in Boston, Massachusetts.

Adam Glanzman | Getty Images

A new tradition for HBCU football could be starting at one of the nation’s oldest football stadiums on the campus of Harvard University.

“It’s really a cultural event,” said Derek Brown, co-founder of the Essence HBCU Classic, an NCAA football game between teams of historically Black colleges and universities. This year’s inaugural match-up is between with the Morehouse College Maroon Tigers and the Johnson C. Smith University Golden Bulls on Saturday during Labor Day Weekend.

“Football is definitely a part of the weekend. But I would say it’s the appetizer, and everything that comes with it is the entrée,” Brown said.

The four-day event co-founded by Campus Rise, which also created the HBCU NY Classic, will feature a pep rally, tailgate, battle of the bands and a step show with the goal of creating at atmosphere similar to an HBCU homecoming.

“We are trying to amplify HBCUs and the amazing folks that go to those schools,” said Michele Ghee, chief content officer of title sponsor Essence. “What an amazing opportunity to say, ‘Yes, HBCUs are producing great students just like Harvard.'”

The event’s organizers said they chose Boston because of the large number of HBCU alumni in the area and chose Harvard Stadium for its historical significance.

In 1971, Howard University and University of Maryland Eastern Shore played a game at the stadium organized by the Urban League of Eastern Massachusetts.

“Boston is actively working to shape a new narrative,” said John Borders IV, a Morehouse graduate and head of the Boston Office of Sports, Tourism and Entertainment, noting Mayor Michelle Wu is actively trying to distance the city from its history of racial tensions. “Boston has a rich Black history. While people may have one perception about Boston historically, there is a different dimension.”

The presidents of Morehouse and Johnson C. Smith say the game will likewise give both HBCUs an opportunity to inform people of their rich history and to build their national presence.

“It’s really an opportunity to have that broader exposure and to bring the product of Morehouse, the product of the pride of HBCUs on the road to showcase,” said F. Dubois Bowman, president of Morehouse.

“I think there are lots of questions we have to ask ourselves about representation, about the role that people of color, particularly Black people, play in this country,” said Valerie Kinloch, president of Johnson C. Smith. “When we talk about traversing different types of spaces, we have to understand how historically Black colleges and universities have a wide impact, and that also includes an impact on spaces that we usually would not be represented in.”

In addition to Essence, the game is being sponsored by betting giant DraftKings and Cash App, a subsidiary of Block.

“This partnership reflects who we are and what we stand for,” said Zack Ashley, global head of brand partnerships at Cash App, in a statement. “We’re honored to help bring the ESSENCE HBCU Classic to Boston and to celebrate the excellence, pride, and history of these institutions while providing real-world benefits to the communities they serve.”

Brown said the sponsorships are a clear acknowledgment of the value of HBCUs and their alumni during a time when many companies are ending their diversity, equity and inclusion programs.

“It’s a new tradition, but it’s not a new consumer,” Brown said. “I think all of our partners recognize that this a consumer that they wanted to target. They are not doing charity, they are sponsoring this event because it gives them great access to a consumer that is very important to their business.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending