Business
Post Office proposes to offer digital ID and pharmacy prescriptions in reforms
The Post Office is proposing that its stores are used for more services such as pharmacy prescription collection, digital ID and business advice, as part of efforts to safeguard its future on the high street.
The state-owned postal, banking and retail business has laid out a series of potential policy reforms to the Government to help grow its revenue streams.
However, it has also called on the Government to look at tailored tax relief for Post Offices.
The Government launched a green paper in July looking at how the organisation should be run.
In the original documents, the Government indicated it could scrap the Post Office’s 11,500-branch requirement as part of an ongoing review process.
In its submission to a consultation, which will close next week, the Post Office said it was important to “maintain nationwide coverage” and its 11,500-strong branch requirement.
Nevertheless, the company said in its reform proposal that it was seeking a “flexible policy framework” so that its network of branches can “evolve” as consumer demands change.
It is understood that this includes potential changes to the required make-up of its branch portfolio, amid the growth of Post Office-run banking hubs.
On Monday, the business also called for the Government to allow it to extend its enhanced banking and parcel services with new services, such as advice for small business.
It also called for the Government to “make post offices the trusted place for essential government services, like digital ID or pharmacy prescription collection”.
They suggested ministers “explore tailored business rates relief”, to potentially give the business discounts on its property tax payments to reflect their contribution to communities.
Meanwhile the Post Office is pushing forward with a major transformation plan.
The business said earlier this year that it is considering offloading 115 directly owned branches within its network, which could see them transferred to retail partners or postmasters, or potentially closed.
The overhaul comes as the Post Office looks to move on from the Horizon IT scandal in which hundreds of subpostmasters were wrongfully convicted.
Neil Brocklehurst, Post Office chief executive, said: “Post Office has been part of the everyday fabric of British life for almost 400 years. But we cannot afford to stand still.
“Digital technologies have transformed how we shop, transact and communicate.
“And like any modern retailer, we must evolve to meet customer demand and sell the products and services which will drive revenue for the postmasters and partners who operate our branch network.
“I look forward to working with our postmasters, partners, customers and government as we continue to transform this vital organisation, and I’m confident we will see a strong and vibrant Post Office network across the UK for decades to come.”
Business
Fan spending on Harry Styles Wembley gigs set to top £1bn
Fan spending for Harry Styles’s 12-night run at Wembley Stadium is set to reach £1.1 billion despite ongoing cost-of-living pressures, figures suggest.
Ticket-holders are expected to spend a total of £981 on average attending the Together, Together tour – which is limited to London in the UK – including travelling to the venue, staying overnight, buying merchandise and other costs, according to a survey for Barclays bank.
The figure exceeds the average £848 spent by fans who flocked to Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, and the average £766 on attending the Oasis Live ’25 shows, although these were both held across four UK locations, leading to lower travel costs.
Styles’ fans anticipate they will spend an average £102 on official tour merchandise, while nine in 10 will participate in a “fan trend” on the day with 63% planning to wear a Harry Styles-themed look.
A fifth (20%) will make sure their outfits are co-ordinated with their friends and 22% hope to create or exchange fan-made items with other fans.
Barclays said the event was set to be a “major cultural moment” as a million ticket-holders travel to London for the 12 dates beginning on June 12.
With just one other European tour location, in Amsterdam, Styles’ Wembley residency will be the most performances by any artist in a single year at the venue, which has a capacity of around 90,000 people for music events.
The survey found those going to the show spent an average of £143.20 on their ticket, with 19% saying this was more than they planned but 66% saying they would have been willing to pay more if needed.
Other expected costs include an average £141.20 on accommodation, £103.10 on transport and £103.10 on food and drinks before the show.
Some 28% of fans say they are planning other activities such as sightseeing and exhibitions while in London.
More than a quarter (27%) of ticket-holders view the concert as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and 17% said FOMO (fear of missing out) played a part in their purchase.
Almost 74% of those polled said getting tickets to sold-out or in-demand events now felt like a status symbol.
Tom Corbett, managing director of sponsorship and client experience at Barclays, said: “This tour shows just how powerful live entertainment can be, benefiting consumers and businesses alike.
“‘Concert tourism’ is on the rise because of the extent to which people value unique, shared experiences – so much so that they’re willing to invest in them even when cutting back elsewhere, and to travel to see their favourite artists perform.”
Opinium surveyed 2,000 respondents, and an additional 200 ticket-holders, between April 28 and May 1.
Business
CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low
A sign sits outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Roybal campus in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. March 18, 2026.
Megan Varner | Reuters
One American has tested positive for Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo in connection to the deadly outbreak in central Africa that global health agencies are racing to contain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday.
The person was exposed as part of their work in Congo, developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, told reporters on a call. The CDC and State Department are working to move that individual and six other Americans exposed to Ebola to Germany for treatment, care and monitoring.
But Pillai emphasized that no cases tied to the outbreak have been confirmed in the U.S., and that the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low.
Still, the CDC also announced on Monday that for the next 30 days, it will restrict entry into the country for people without a U.S. passport who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan or Uganda in the last three weeks.
The update came one day after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern.” The outbreak does not meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned that the high positivity rate and increasing cases and deaths point toward a “potentially much larger outbreak” than what is being detected and reported.
As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected cases and 88 suspected deaths have been reported, primarily in Congo but also in neighboring Uganda, according to the CDC.
The specific virus involved in this outbreak, called Bundibugyo, has no vaccine or treatment. Historically, that virus has death rates ranging from 25% to 50%, the CDC added.
But agency officials told reporters on Monday that work is underway to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this specific strain of Ebola.
Business
Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?
Musk’s loss against OpenAI is the latest in a string of courtroom defeats.
Source link
-
Entertainment6 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Fashion5 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment1 week agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Sports1 week agoJacob Fatu unleashes vicious assault on Roman Reigns after World Heavyweight Championship loss at WWE Backlash
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet
-
Tech1 week agoPapa Johns Is Getting Into Drone Delivery—but Not for Pizza
