Business
As Walmart and Target head in different directions, all eyes are on their new CEOs
Walmart CEO John Furner, left, and Target CEO Michael Fiddelke.
Walmart (L) | Getty Images (R)
When Walmart and Target report holiday earnings this quarter, investors may quickly brush off those results.
Instead, they will likely focus more on the two big-box retailers’ futures under new CEOs and the outlook for U.S. consumers in 2026.
Both companies had leadership changes this month: Walmart CEO John Furner and Target CEO Michael Fiddelke, both longtime company insiders, took on their roles on Feb. 1.
The rival retailers have contended with the same economic challenges. U.S. consumers are still spending, but buying selectively, as inflation and tariffs fuel higher prices for groceries and other essentials and cause some shoppers to think twice about discretionary purchases.
Yet while both Walmart and Target have new CEOs, their paths forward look distinctly different.
Walmart’s stock has shot up by about 163% over the past five years and has risen about 24% over the last year, as of Tuesday’s market close. It hit a 52-week high Tuesday. Shares of Target, on the other hand, have tumbled by about 40% over the past five years and dropped 9% over the past year.
The retailers’ stock market performances reflect their sharp divergence in sales results. Walmart is attracting shoppers across incomes and gaining momentum with online sales and higher-margin businesses like advertising. Target is struggling with slower sales and weaker store traffic. Walmart expects its full-year net sales to rise by 4.8% and 5.1%. Target, on the other hand, is on track for a full-year sales decline.
Walmart CEO John Furner inherited a business that’s “fundamentally sound” and “on a great trajectory,” said Neil Saunders, managing director and retail analyst at GlobalData.
“In many ways, his job is to keep the ship steady and see what he can do to add to the speed,” he said.
On the other hand, Target CEO Michael Fiddelke has to “sell the Target of the future” after four years of roughly flat annual sales, Saunders said.
“What I think he’ll want to do is to inject some excitement, to say, ‘Look, I’m really excited about this role. I’m really excited about where Target could go. We are going to change things. We’re going to become a different business. We’re going to get back to what we were before,'” he said.
Here’s a closer look at what we know so far about the CEOs’ plans and what investors will listen for during earnings:
Walmart Inc. signage during the company’s listing at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York, US, on Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025.
Michael Nagle | Bloomberg | Getty Images
Walmart: Extending the winning streak
Walmart will report its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings before the bell on Thursday.
The retail giant has had a busy few months: Along with getting a new CEO, Walmart’s market cap surpassed $1 trillion in early February. The company also switched its stock listing from the New York Stock Exchange to the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 in January, a nod to its aim to be perceived by investors more like its key rival Amazon.
When longtime CEO Doug McMillon stepped down from the role, he said in an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that he was passing the torch to Furner as the company accelerates its artificial intelligence adoption and reshapes its business and the way its customers shop.
Walmart has announced deals with two major AI chatbot platforms, OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google’s Gemini, to make it easier for shoppers to find and buy its products.
Furner, who like his predecessor moved up the ranks at Walmart during decades at the Arkansas-based company, oversaw the largest segment of the company in his previous role as CEO of Walmart U.S. Furner got picked in part because of his success expanding Walmart’s digital business, a pivotal piece of its future, said Kate McShane, a retail analyst for Goldman Sachs.
Walmart Inc. (NYSE: WMT) announced that its Board of Directors has elected John Furner, 51, to succeed Doug McMillon, 59, as President and Chief Executive Officer of Walmart Inc., effective February 1, 2026.
Courtesy: Walmart Inc.
Walmart in May posted its first profitable quarter for its e-commerce business in the U.S. and globally, as its home deliveries, ads business and third-party marketplace all grow.
Corey Tarlowe, a retail analyst for Jefferies, said Walmart investors “want more of the same” — namely more e-commerce gains, grocery success and market share gains with a wider range of customers, including more affluent shoppers.
Yet Walmart’s results for the holiday quarter could mark an inflection point in the world of retail. Amazon could take the crown as the largest retailer by annual revenue for the first time, even though the company makes a lot of its money from tech services like cloud computing and advertising.
Saunders said the comparison isn’t apples to apples, but is “symbolically important” as the two competitors try to outmatch one another. Walmart has grown in part by leaning on stores to deliver groceries and offer pickup for online orders. Amazon, which recently announced it would shutter Amazon Fresh and Go stores and turn some into Whole Foods locations, had tried to “bolt on” fresh food to its huge existing volume of online orders, he said.
As the nation’s largest grocer by revenue, Walmart also is fending off the expansion of privately held discounter Aldi, and could feel the heat turned up by supermarket operator Kroger, which recently hired Walmart alumnus Greg Foran as its new CEO.
In a memo sent to employees on his second day at CEO, Furner said his leadership will be shaped by his more than 32 years at Walmart, adding he believes the company “is well-positioned to lead in this next era of retail.”
“This next era will unlock new ways to bring our people-led, tech-powered vision to life,” he said in the memo. “By leveraging our global scale, we can better serve customers and members with speed, reliability, and greater experiences, wherever they choose to shop with us.”
He said that strategy is already coming to life as “technology and AI are helping reduce friction in our work, simplify decisions, improve inventory flow, and free up time so you can focus on what matters most: serving customers and members and one another.”
Customers shop at a Target store on Feb. 10, 2026 in Chicago, Illinois.
Scott Olson | Getty Images
Target: Chasing a comeback
For Fiddelke, Target’s earnings report could be the deepest look yet at the cheap chic discounter’s roadmap to return to growth.
The company is chasing a comeback and plans to share its holiday-quarter results and current fiscal year expectations on March 3 at a financial meeting at its Minneapolis headquarters.
The big-box retailer has struggled with a laundry list of challenges, including declining visits to its stores and website, customer complaints about store conditions and backlash to the company’s political and social stances, such as its rollback of diversity, equity and inclusion pledges and its decision not to publicly oppose the surge of immigration enforcement in its hometown.
As sales decline, Target has shrunken its workforce. It cut 1,800 corporate roles last year in its first major layoff in a decade.
Target’s earnings report is more highly anticipated than Walmart’s because there are so many questions about its turnaround strategy and how long it may take, Goldman Sachs’ McShane said. Investors have debated how much the company may need to invest in merchandising, marketing and store labor to boost its sales.
“Walmart has pursued a much more aggressive digital agenda than Target between their omnichannel and their automation and their marketplace,” she said.
She added that while Target doesn’t want to be Amazon or Walmart, “they have to figure out who they want to be and how to compete.”
Target’s Chief Operating Officer Michael Fiddelke will take over as CEO from Brian Cornell.
Courtesy of Target
Already, Fiddelke has sent signals that he is making changes. Last week, he announced in an email to employees that the company will step up store staffing, though Fiddelke and the company declined to say how much it would invest in additional hours for employees. It is also cutting about 500 roles at distribution centers and regional offices.
Fiddelke shook up Target’s leadership team effective Sunday, bringing back the role of chief merchant and announcing a high-profile departure. Cara Sylvester, formerly chief guest experience officer, became Target’s chief merchandising officer, and Lisa Roath, formerly chief merchandising officer of food, essentials and beauty, succeeded Fiddelke as chief operating officer.
At the same time, Chief Commercial Officer Rick Gomez is leaving the company after more than a decade, and Jill Sando, chief merchandising officer for apparel and accessories, home and toys and entertainment division Fun101, will retire.
Target has also opened a new concept store in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood. While the location is one of a kind, its focus on fashion may inspire more changes at stores across the country and in the suburbs, McShane said.
That push to feature stronger products is a major piece of Fiddelke’s strategy. In an email to employees and customers during his first week, Fiddelke laid out four priorities: sharpening Target’s merchandising, improving the customer experience, speeding along technology and strengthening the company’s workforce and its surrounding communities.
Jefferies’ Tarlowe said Target’s upcoming investor event is “a chance for them to essentially communicate to everybody and say ‘We hear what you want. Here’s how we are going to deliver on it.'”
“Change is happening, it’s a question of does the market see it and appreciate it,” he said.
Business
Two top Walmart executives leave company under new CEO John Furner
A Walmart store is seen on Feb. 3, 2026 in Austin, Texas.
Brandon Bell | Getty Images
Two top Walmart executives are departing the company, nearly four months after CEO John Furner took over, CNBC learned on Friday.
Tom Ward, the chief operating officer of Walmart’s warehouse Sam’s Club, is retiring, while Cedric Clark, Walmart’s executive vice president of U.S. store operations, is leaving the business, internal memos viewed by CNBC shows.
A replacement for Clark is expected to be announced in the “coming weeks,” the memo stated. It’s unclear when the company expects to fill Ward’s position.
The leadership shuffle comes after Furner took over as Walmart’s CEO in February. Alongside Furner’s promotion, the company elevated four new top executives to work alongside him earlier this year. Seth Dallaire was promoted to chief growth officer, overseeing the company’s marketplace and advertising businesses, David Guggina was elevated to CEO of Walmart U.S., Chris Nicholas became CEO of Walmart International and Latriece Watkins became CEO of Sam’s Club.
Furner took over the largest U.S. retailer during a period of sustained growth, fueled by gains with higher-income consumers and the expansion of its e-commerce business.
Walmart announced fiscal first-quarter earnings on Thursday, where it issued mixed results and said its business remained strong despite consumer pressures and high gas prices.
The leadership changes were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
Business
British Airways raises price of Avios reward tickets
British Airways is putting up the price of reward tickets for customers using Avios, giving five days’ notice of the increases.
The cash element of tickets booked through its loyalty scheme will rise by up to 33 per cent from Wednesday 27 May.
For example, a ticket in Club World from London Heathrow to New York JFK, once requiring 176,000 Avios, will now also require £499 – an increase of roughly £100, or about 25 per cent.
In an email, the airline said the amount of Avios required for bookings will remain unchanged for now. “Thank you for your continued support and understanding,” it said.
Customers have until Wednesday to book at current prices.
Writing on his Head for Points frequent-flyer website, Rob Burgess said: “This is the second devaluation in just five months. The earlier changes led to a 10 per cent increase in the Avios element and 3-23 per cent increase in the cash element.
“This change only impacts the cash element and represents an additional 10-33 per cent
“These changes are very likely to be linked to the increase in fuel costs due to the Middle East crisis, although British Airways has better hedging in place than most carriers. With little sign of the oil situation improving, however, it is likely that fuel costs will remain high beyond the life of the hedges.”
Simon Calder, travel correspondent at The Independent, said: “When British Airways first unveiled ‘Air Miles’, flights were genuinely free – no one was expected to hand over cash.
“To see the cash element increased up to £500 will prove a deterrent for some. But many passengers, especially those who amass Avios on their company’s spend, remain transactionally loyal to BA.”
In April, IAG – which owns British Airways, Aer Lingus and Iberia of Spain – said it was increasing the price of ordinary cash tickets because of the impact of the conflict.
“We are not seeing jet fuel supply interruptions, but fuel prices have risen sharply and, despite our hedging strategy which gives some shorter term mitigation, we are not immune to the impact,” it said. “Like other carriers, IAG airlines are making some pricing adjustments to reflect these higher fuel costs.”
Read more: All the airlines cancelling flights as easyJet and Jet2 issue updates
Business
Disney’s ‘Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu’ tallies lowest Thursday preview sales in franchise history
Still from “Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu.”
“Star Wars” returns to the big screen for the first time in seven years this weekend, riding the contrails of a Mandalorian’s jetpack.
Disney’s “Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu” tallied $12 million in Thursday night preview sales, the lowest collection of advanced tickets in the franchise’s history, according to data from Comscore. “Solo: A Star Wars Story” was the previous low bar with $14.1 million in preshow tickets back in 2018.
Box office analysts expect the film based on the hit Disney+ show “The Mandalorian” to generate around $80 million for its three-day opening weekend and around $95 million for the four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend. Some less conservative experts have estimated the three-day haul could be $95 million and the holiday weekend could draw $115 million.
That would be one of the smallest openings of a “Star Wars film in modern cinematic history. “Solo” captured $84.4 million during its opening eight years ago. Since 2015, only “Solo” has opened to less than $100 million domestically, Comscore data show.
“The Mandalorian and Grogu” will likely benefit from the popularity of the television show, the long Memorial Day weekend and limited competition from new titles, especially on premium large format screens.
It will also act as a stress test for future “Star Wars” theatrical releases amid a lackluster cinema run for “Star Wars” and Marvel, the tentpole franchises that helped Disney dominate the global box office in the 2010s. The studio has “Starfighter” arriving in cinemas in 2027 starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Shawn Levy.
New “Star Wars” titles have been absent from cinemas since 2019’s “The Rise of Skywalker.” The final film in the Skywalker Saga and third film in what has become known as the sequel trilogy generated more than $1 billion, but was widely panned by critics and fans. Disney and its Lucasfilm studio paused theatrical productions in favor of reestablishing the franchise on streaming service Disney+.
“The Mandalorian,” which premiered just a month before “The Rise of Skywalker,” was a runaway hit for the company and inspired a number of live-action Star Wars projects to get a series run instead of a theatrical one. These include “Andor,” “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” “Ahsoka,” “Skeleton Crew,” “The Acolyte” and “The Book of Boba Fett.”
Lucasfilm tapped director Jon Favreau, who worked alongside the newly minted head of the studio Dave Filoni to bring “The Mandalorian” to Disney+, to helm “The Mandalorian and Grogu.” The feature film had a slightly smaller budget than typical Star Wars films, with the cost of production estimated to be around $165 million. Other “Star Wars” projects released theatrically in the previous decade had production budgets of $250 million or higher, according to data from The Numbers.
This means that “The Mandalorian and Grogu” has a smaller profitability threshold than previous titles from the franchise. Of course, those production budgets do not include marketing spending.
For parent company Disney, it’s not just about the box office numbers. The film has a robust consumer products launch tied to its release.
The “Star Wars” franchise has consistently been a strong seller at retail even without a theatrical release. So having new products across a variety of categories and brands could be a big boon for the company — especially after the character Grogu, known as “Baby Yoda,” was a runaway hit with fans.
Notably, following the 2015 release of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the first of Lucasfilm’s latest “Star Wars” trilogy, Hasbro alone saw sales of “Star Wars” products reach nearly $500 million.
Not to mention, Disney is already doing tie-ins at its theme park locations, including specialized merchandise and a revamp of its Smugglers Run ride featuring Grogu.
-
Entertainment6 days agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Entertainment1 week agoEmilia Clarke recalls near-death incident while filming ‘Game of Thrones’
-
Business1 week agoJersey Election 2026: Cost of living concern in St Helier Central
-
Politics6 days agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Politics1 week agoUK’s Starmer faces survival battle as potential rivals circle
-
Politics1 week agoTrump says China will order 200 Boeing jets
-
Entertainment1 week agoDrake drops highly anticipated "Iceman" album, plus two surprise albums
-
Tech1 week agoGreg Brockman Officially Takes Control of OpenAI’s Products in Latest Shakeup
