Connect with us

Politics

Austria school headscarf ban sparks anger

Published

on

Austria school headscarf ban sparks anger


Hadiya, an 11-year-old student, attends a protest, organised by coalition of 20 civil society organisations in Austria, against the headscarf ban in schools, in Vienna, Austria, on February 13, 2026. — AFP
Hadiya, an 11-year-old student, attends a protest, organised by coalition of 20 civil society organisations in Austria, against the headscarf ban in schools, in Vienna, Austria, on February 13, 2026. — AFP 

VIENNA: A headscarf ban for girls under 14 in Austrian schools has stirred unease, anger and fears of further targeting of Muslims in the EU member state.

Austrian lawmakers in December approved the measure, which is set to take effect from the new school year in September.

With anti-immigration sentiment running high, the conservative-led government argues the law is aimed at protecting girls from “oppression”.

But rights groups and experts say it is discriminatory, risks deepening social division and is likely unconstitutional.

“It’s my decision… No one can force me to wear a headscarf, and no one can force me to take it off,” a 12-year-old student told AFP at a protest against the ban in Vienna last month, declining to give her name.

‘Legal consequences’

The government estimates around 12,000 girls would be affected by the new law, but this projection has been questioned as too high.

Hundreds of demonstrators attend a protest, organised by coalition of 20 civil society organisations in Austria, against the headscarf ban in schools, in Vienna, Austria, on February 13, 2026. — AFP
Hundreds of demonstrators attend a protest, organised by coalition of 20 civil society organisations in Austria, against the headscarf ban in schools, in Vienna, Austria, on February 13, 2026. — AFP 

Roughly 8% of Austria’s nine million residents are Muslim, according to 2021 government statistics.

The education ministry sent out information to all schools several weeks ago on how to enforce the new law.

It contains illustrations of different Islamic head coverings.

“Every teacher who observes a violation must instruct the student to remove her headscarf. If she does not immediately comply, the teacher must report the violation to the school administration without delay,” the instructions state.

“The school administration must immediately hold a meeting with the student and her legal guardians.”

For repeated non-compliance, parents can face fines ranging from 150 to 800 euros ($175 to $930).

Failure to report those in violation of the law could also have “legal consequences” for teachers and school managements, the instructions warn.

One Vienna schoolteacher, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP she was not planning to enforce the law.

“It’s a populist measure” that fails to address “the real problem when parents of any religion use violence or psychological violence against children,” she said.

‘Deeply rooted racism’

Last month, hundreds gathered at a central Vienna square to protest the ban before marching to the chancellery.

Hundreds of demonstrators attend a protest, organised by coalition of 20 civil society organisations in Austria, against the headscarf ban in schools, in Vienna, Austria, on February 13, 2026. — AFP
Hundreds of demonstrators attend a protest, organised by coalition of 20 civil society organisations in Austria, against the headscarf ban in schools, in Vienna, Austria, on February 13, 2026. — AFP 

Malika Mataeva, co-founder of the Muslim Women Network, decried “years of systematic, deeply rooted racism in Austria.”

“It’s simply another step that makes us say, ‘Enough is enough,'” she told AFP, adding “guaranteed freedoms” were not being respected.

Austria has long drawn immigrants, as well as asylum seekers fleeing conflict. But anti-immigration sentiment is strong.

In the 2024 elections, the far-right Freedom Party won for the first time even though it failed to form a government.

Muslims in Austria suffered the highest rates of racism and discrimination in the EU, according to a 2024 report by Europe’s FRA rights agency.

Past ban struck down

The IGGOe, the body which officially represents the country’s Muslim communities, is set to challenge the ban in court.

Police officers ask a woman to unveil her face in Zell am See, Austria, on October 1, 2017. — AFP
Police officers ask a woman to unveil her face in Zell am See, Austria, on October 1, 2017. — AFP 

Austria introduced a similar ban on headscarves in primary schools in 2019, but the constitutional court struck it down.

“It is clear that we consider this law… to be unconstitutional in Austria, given its focus on a specific religious item of clothing,” the Ombud for Equal Treatment told AFP.

At the Vienna protest, an 11-year-old, who only gave her name as Hadiya, said she is the only student in her class of 27 who wears a headscarf.

“I’m angry…. I find it (the ban) is without reason,” she said.

A mother of two girls, aged 11 and 13, also said the ban has weighed heavily on her family, with her daughters not wanting to take off their headscarves.

“It’s supposed to be for their protection, but they’ve been suffering for months now and are worried about what to do,” she told AFP at the protest.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Iran stages mass weddings for couples ready for war sacrifice

Published

on

Iran stages mass weddings for couples ready for war sacrifice


Iranian authorities held mass public weddings in Tehran for couples who signed up to a state-sponsored scheme declaring their readiness to sacrifice their lives in the war against the US and Israel.

The ceremonies conducted late on Monday involved hundreds of couples in several major squares in the capital, including more than 100 in the vast Imam Hossein square in central Tehran, according to reports in Iranian media.

A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 

They were broadcast on state TV in a bid to boost wartime morale, with US President Donald Trump repeatedly threatening new military action against Iran amid a shaky ceasefire which halted the fighting that began on February 28.

Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 
A Shia Muslim cleric arrives as a groom with his bride with other couples at a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A Shia Muslim cleric arrives as a groom with his bride with other couples at a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

Those involved had signed up, according to Iranian media, for the “self-sacrifice” scheme (janfada in Persian) where people pledged to put their lives on the line in the war by, for example, forming human chains outside power stations.

A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 

Iranian authorities say millions of people, including top figures such as speaker of parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and President Masoud Pezeshkian, have put their names forward.

Revellers attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Revellers attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

Couples arrived at the Imam Hossein square in military jeeps with mounted machine guns and were married on a stage in a ceremony presided over by a cleric, AFP images showed.

A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP
A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP

The stage was festooned with balloons and with a giant image of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei.

A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

“Certainly, the country is at war, but young people also have the right to marry,” one young woman in a white Islamic bridal dress, who was not named, said beside her groom in footage published by the Mehr news agency.

A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP
A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP 

A man in a dark suit, beside his bride-to-be, said they were happy the occasion marked the anniversary of the marriage of Hazrat Ali (RA) to Hazrat Fatima, the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 

“We received their blessings. Furthermore, we came to offer our best wishes to the people in the streets,” he said.

Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

Mehr said 110 couples had taken part in the Imam Hossein square ceremony alone. The AFP images showed crowds of well-wishers clasping roses and watching on.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Indian court rules historic Bhojshala mosque site a temple

Published

on

Indian court rules historic Bhojshala mosque site a temple


The main entrance to the Bhojshala complex in Dhar, Madhya Pradesh, India, on January 29, 2003. — AFP
The main entrance to the Bhojshala complex in Dhar, Madhya Pradesh, India, on January 29, 2003. — AFP
  • Two-decade worship arrangement ended.
  • Muslim side plans Supreme Court challenge.
  • Critics warn of a grave threat.

Muslims will no longer be able to offer Friday prayer at a disputed mosque-temple complex in India’s Madhya Pradesh after a court declared the site a Hindu temple and authorities allowed daily Hindu worship there.

An Indian court ruling has ended a two-decade worship arrangement at the Bhojshala-Kamal Maula mosque complex, with the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) allowing daily Hindu prayers after the site was declared a temple.

The Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court ruled that the complex in Dhar district was a temple dedicated to goddess Vagdevi, also known as Saraswati, Indian media reported.

Following the ruling, the ASI issued a May 16 order allowing Hindu devotees unrestricted daily worship rights at the site. The order superseded previous directives, including a 2003 arrangement under which Hindus were allowed to worship on Tuesdays and Muslims were allowed to offer Friday prayer.

Advocate Vishnu Shankar Jain, who represented the Hindu petitioners, said Hindus could now visit and worship at the complex “without any restriction”.

The ASI said the site would remain a protected monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, while worship timings would be determined by the superintending archaeologist in consultation with the district administration.

The court relied on a 2024 ASI report which said the Bhojshala-Kamal Maula mosque complex was constructed using remnants of earlier temples, with the mosque built centuries later, according to Indian media.

The court also said the Muslim side could approach the state government for land at an alternative site in Dhar district to build a mosque. Dhar city Qazi Waqar Sadiq indicated that the Muslim petitioners would approach the Supreme Court, adding that the Muslim community had no intention of accepting alternative land.

The protected monument has long been contested, with Hindu groups claiming it is a temple dedicated to Saraswati and Muslims maintaining that it is the Kamal Maula mosque.

According to Al Jazeera, the ruling has placed the mosque out of bounds for Muslims in Dhar, where it had been used for prayer for decades.

The decision has drawn criticism from Muslim-side lawyers, historians and politicians, who argue that it threatens protections for Muslim places of worship in India. Lawyer Ashhar Warsi, who argued from the Muslim side, called the verdict “an erroneous judgement” and “a clear violation of the established rule of law”.

Asaduddin Owaisi, a five-time member of parliament, told Al Jazeera that the ruling sent a message of “grave threat” to Muslim places of worship in India. He also said the Babri judgement had “opened the floodgates” for similar claims.

Al Jazeera also quoted historian Audrey Truschke as saying the current trend of targeting mosques in India was part of the “entrenched Islamophobia of Hindu nationalism”.

The dispute comes amid a wider Hindutva push targeting medieval mosques and Islamic-era monuments in India, with campaigners claiming that they were built over Hindu temples. Such claims have gained momentum since Prime Minister Narendra Modi came to power in 2014.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Published

on

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal


People walk next to a mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. — Reuters
People walk next to a mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. — Reuters
  • US shows some flexibility on frozen funds, nuclear activity: sources.
  • Adds Washington denies oil sanctions waiver for Iran.
  • Fragile ceasefire holds after US-Israeli strikes against Iran.

Tehran’s latest peace proposal to the United States involves ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli war, state media reported on Tuesday.

In Tehran’s first comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran also sought the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the US marine blockade on the country, according to IRNA news agency.

The terms as described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran’s previous offer, which US President Donald Trump rejected last week as “garbage”.

Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned resumption of attacks on Iran after Tehran sent a new peace proposal to Washington, and that there was now a “very good chance” of reaching a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear programme.

Reuters could not determine whether preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz — a key supply route for global supplies of oil and other commodities — Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the conflict, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran did not reach a deal.

In a social media post, Trump said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because “a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.”

A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington.

Although neither side has publicly disclosed any concessions in negotiations that have been stalled for a month, a senior Iranian official suggested on Monday that Washington may be softening some of its demands.

The source said the US had agreed to release a quarter of Iran’s frozen funds — totalling tens of billions of dollars — held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released.

And the source said Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some peaceful nuclear activity under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending