Connect with us

Entertainment

Cabinet approves 15% raise in EOBI pensions

Published

on

Cabinet approves 15% raise in EOBI pensions


An undated photo of the federal cabinet in Islamabad. — Radio Pakistan/File 

In a sigh of relief for retired employees, the federal government approved a 15% increase in pensions under the Employees’ Old-Age Benefits Institution (EOBI) on Saturday.

Talking to journalists, following the cabinet meeting, Minister for Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development Chaudhry Salik Hussain said: “EOBI pensions have been increased.”

He said that the EOBI pensioners will be paid, including arrears, from September 1, the minister added. Hussain said that the EOBI would release Rs10 billion in monthly pension.

“Pensioners with long service will now be able to receive a pension of more than Rs30,000 per month,” the minister added.

He maintained that a committee had been formed to include the informal sector and domestic workers in the EOBI. The committee would also work towards including agricultural labourers in the EOBI system, Hussain added.

The fresh increase in pension is in addition to the 15% raise approved by the cabinet last month.

In July, the cabinet approved a 15% hike in pensions under the EOBI, which was to take effect from January 1, 2025.

Earlier this week, the EOBI assured the National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development that the pensions would be released, with the minimum pension raised from Rs10,000 to Rs11,500 with effect from January 1, 2025 to be disbursed along with all arrears on September 1, 2025.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Putin to join President Xi and world leaders at SCO meeting in China

Published

on

Putin to join President Xi and world leaders at SCO meeting in China


Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a session of the educational marathon “Knowledge. First” in Moscow, Russia, April 30, 2025. — Reuters

TIANJIN: Russian President Vladimir Putin is set to arrive in the northern Chinese city of Tianjin on Sunday, where he will join President Xi Jinping and around 20 other world leaders for a major regional summit. 

The gathering, organised under the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), will run until Monday and comes just days before a huge military parade in Beijing marking 80 years since the end of World War II.

The SCO comprises China, India, Russia, Pakistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Belarus — with 16 more countries affiliated as observers or “dialogue partners”.

China and Russia have sometimes touted the SCO as an alternative to the NATO military alliance.

In an interview published on China’s Xinhua news agency on Saturday, Putin said the upcoming summit will “strengthen the SCO’s capacity to respond to contemporary challenges and threats, and consolidate solidarity across the shared Eurasian space”.

“All this will help shape a fairer multipolar world order,” Putin said, Xinhua reported.

As China’s claim over Taiwan and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have seen them clash with the United States and Europe, experts say Beijing and Moscow are eager to use platforms like the SCO to curry influence.

“China has long sought to present the SCO as a non-Western-led power bloc that promotes a new type of international relations, which, it claims, is more democratic,” said Dylan Loh, an assistant professor at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University.

“In short, it offers a Chinese-inflected multilateral order that is distinct from the western-dominated ones in international politics,” Loh told AFP.

More than 20 leaders including Iranian and Turkish presidents Masoud Pezeshkian and Recep Tayyip Erdogan will attend the bloc’s largest meeting since its founding in 2001.

“The large-scale participation indicates China’s growing influence and the SCO’s appeal as a platform for non-Western countries,” Loh added.

Beijing, through the SCO, will try to “project influence and signal that Eurasia has its own institutions and rules of the game”, said Lizzi Lee from the Asia Society Policy Institute.

“It is framed as something different, built around sovereignty, non-interference, and multipolarity, which the Chinese tout as a model,” Lee told AFP.

Talks on the sidelines

Chinese President Xi met leaders including Egyptian Premier Moustafa Madbouly and Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet in Tianjin on Saturday.

Other bilateral meetings on the sidelines of the summit will be organised.

Putin is expected to hold talks on Monday with Turkey’s Erdogan and Iran’s Pezeshkian about the Ukraine conflict and Tehran’s nuclear programme respectively.

Putin needs “all the benefits of SCO as a player on the world stage and also the support of the second largest economy in the world”, said Lim Tai Wei, a professor and East Asia expert at Japan’s Soka University.

“Russia is also keen to win over India, and India’s trade frictions with the United States present this opportunity,” Lim told AFP.

The summit comes days after India was hit by a sharp bump up in US tariffs on its goods as punishment for New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil.

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Tianjin on Saturday evening after a trip to Japan, marking the start of his first visit to China since 2018.

The two most populous nations are intense rivals competing for influence across South Asia and fought a deadly border clash in 2020.

A thaw began last October when Modi met with Xi for the first time in five years at a summit in Russia.

Modi was not on a list of attendees for the Beijing parade published by Chinese state media on Thursday that included Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, Myanmar’s junta chief Min Aung Hlaing and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Frankenstein’ director gets honest about its making

Published

on

‘Frankenstein’ director gets honest about its making


Guillermo del Toro airs thoughts on creating ‘Frankenstein’

Frankenstein is close to Guillermo del Toro’s heart, it appears, as the director reveals the length he went to make the movie.

As the movie has wrapped up filming and is set to be released on Netflix, the filmmaker, in a light-hearted manner, joked, “I’m in postpartum depression.”

It’s worth pointing out that there had been versions previously made of Mary Shelley’s novel.

But as far as Guillermo’s take is concerned, he himself shared his fondness for the story.

“I’ve been following the creature since I was kid. I waited for the movie to be done in the right conditions,” the filmmaker said in a press conference about the forthcoming movie.

He continued, “Both creatively in terms of achieving the scope to make it different, and to make it at a scale that you could reconstruct the whole world.”

Touching on the overview of his vision of the movie, Guillermo, however, dismissed the notion the story somewhat gives a nod to the potential dangers AI poses — given the movie is about a scientist’s misuse of technology.

“We live in a time of terror and intimidation, certainly the movie tries to show imperfect characters.”

“And the right we have to remain imperfect, and the right we have to understand each other under the most oppressive circumstances,” he said, remarking, “I’m not afraid of artificial intelligence. I’m afraid of natural stupidity.”

Ahead of landing on Netflix on Nov 7, Frankenstein will get a limited release in cinemas on October 17.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay shares skin cancer diagnosis: “Please don’t forget your sunscreen this weekend”

Published

on

Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay shares skin cancer diagnosis: “Please don’t forget your sunscreen this weekend”


Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay shared his skin cancer diagnosis on Saturday in an Instagram post, thanking his team for their fast work in removing a Basal cell carcinoma from his skin. 

“I promise you it’s not a face lift! I’d need a refund…” Ramsay wrote in the post showing a photo of the side of his face bandaged below his ear, reaching from his face down to his neck. 

Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsay walks the paddock before qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain.

Alex Bierens de Haan / Getty Images


Basal cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer thought to be caused by long-term exposure to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, according to the Mayo Clinic. Cells can form on areas of the body most often exposed to the sun, such as the face or neck and can appear as a growth or sore that won’t heal. 

“Please don’t forget your sunscreen this weekend,” the 58-year-old chef said.

The British restaurateur and reality TV star has previously shared health advice on social media. In 2024, the chef implored his fans to wear a helmet after a cycling accident left him with an enormous bruise across his torso.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending