Connect with us

Entertainment

Crude oil on track for record monthly leap amid widening Middle East conflict

Published

on

Crude oil on track for record monthly leap amid widening Middle East conflict


3D-printed oil barrels and an oil pump jack appear in this illustration taken March 2, 2026. — Reuters
  • Iran conflict escalates, Houthis launch attacks on Israel.
  • Analysts flag concerns over Saudi exports from Red Sea.
  • Iran accuses US of ground assault plans amid offers of talks.

 Oil prices extended gains on Monday, with Brent headed ‌for a record monthly rise, after Yemeni Houthis launched their first attacks on Israel over the weekend, widening the US-Israel war with Iran in the Middle East.

Brent crude futures jumped $3.09, or 2.74%, to $115.66 a barrel ​by 2353 GMT after settling 4.2% higher on Friday.

US West Texas Intermediate was at $102.56 ​a barrel, up $2.92, or 2.93%, following a 5.5% gain in the previous ⁠session.

Brent has soared 59% this month, the steepest monthly jump, exceeding gains seen during the 1990 ​Gulf War, after the Iran conflict effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a conduit for a ​fifth of the world’s oil and gas supplies.

The war, launched on February 28 with US and Israeli strikes on Iran, has spread across the Middle East, with Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis on Saturday launching their first attacks on ​Israel since the start of the conflict, raising concern about shipping lanes around the Arabian ​Peninsula and the Red Sea.

“The conflict is no longer concentrated in the Persian Gulf and around the Strait ‌of ⁠Hormuz, but now extends into the Red Sea and the Bab el-Mandeb — one of the world’s most crucial chokepoints for crude and refined product flows,” JP Morgan analysts led by Natasha Kaneva said in a note.

Saudi crude exports redirected from the Strait of Hormuz to the Yanbu ​port in the Red ​Sea reached 4.658 ⁠million barrels per day last week, data from analytics firm Kpler showed.

If exports from Yanbu were disrupted, Saudi oil would need to pivot toward ​Egypt’s Suez-Mediterranean (SUMED) pipeline to the Mediterranean, JP Morgan analysts said.

Attacks in ​the region ⁠escalated over the weekend and damaged Oman’s Salalah terminal despite efforts to start ceasefire talks.

Iran said it was ready to respond to a US ground attack, accusing Washington on Sunday of preparing a land assault ⁠even ​as it sought negotiations.

Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said ​they had covered possible ways to bring an early and permanent end to the war in the region as well ​as potential US-Iran talks in Islamabad.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Defence minister hints at ‘positive outcome’ in Pakistan-mediated US-Iran talks

Published

on

Defence minister hints at ‘positive outcome’ in Pakistan-mediated US-Iran talks


Defence Minister Khawaja Asif speaks in National Assembly in this undated photo. — APP/File
  • Economic recovery process reversed due to Mideast war: Asif.
  • Defence czar expresses hope for peace across region and beyond.
  • Pakistan helping avert major global crisis, says defence minister.

Defence Minister Khawaja Asif on Saturday said that Pakistan’s efforts in ongoing US-Iran mediation were gradually moving towards a “positive outcome”, expressing hope for peace across the region and beyond.

“We have slowly moved closer to a positive result in the US-Iran mediation,” the defence czar told Geo News in Sialkot.

According to Asif, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Field Marshal Asim Munir and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi’s presence in Iran itself “signalled the matter was nearing” a resolution.

Field Marshal Munir landed in Tehran on Friday as Islamabad stepped up its diplomatic efforts to help end the US-Israel war on Iran.

During the visit — accompanied by Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who was already in Tehran — Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Munir met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf to discuss regional de-escalation and ongoing mediation efforts.

Pakistan emerged as a key mediator between Washington and Tehran after six weeks of fighting that began on February 28, with Islamabad playing a central role in ceasefire negotiations and backchannel diplomacy.

The Middle East war erupted after the US and Israel launched coordinated strikes on Iran, prompting Tehran to retaliate with attacks on US bases across the region and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

Hostilities ended on April 8 when Pakistan facilitated a two-week ceasefire, followed by direct negotiations between the US and Iran in its capital between April 11 and 12.

The talks, however, concluded without an agreement for a permanent end to the conflict as both sides disagreed on a number of issues, including Tehran’s blockade of Hormuz and its missile and nuclear programmes.

Despite the stalemate, Islamabad continued its push for mediation between Tehran and Washington, and also helped extend the ceasefire.

Meanwhile, the defence minister said that Pakistan was helping prevent a major global crisis and expressed optimism that the country’s diplomatic efforts would succeed.

Speaking about the domestic issues, Asif acknowledged the impact of inflation on ordinary citizens, saying people with limited resources were facing the greatest difficulties amid rising prices.

“We were in a recovery phase, but because of this war our economy has suffered badly,” he said, adding that the recovery process had not only stalled but had also reversed.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Oophs! Kate Cassidy leaves airport security shocked over passport photo mismatch

Published

on

Oophs! Kate Cassidy leaves airport security shocked over passport photo mismatch


Kate, was in a relationship with Liam Payne before his death in October 2024

Oophs! She has undergone multiple cosmetic procedures and is not hesitant enough to talk about them.

Kate Cassidy, the girlfriend of Liam Payne, 27, opened up about a strange experience at the airport where security officers questioned her passport photo.

Kate shared a video saying she wanted to be honest about the surgery she’s had – including details of her fake boobs and where she’s had fillers.

Speaking to the camera, Kate said: “I wanted to come on here and talk about a couple things that are fake about me.

“I was at the airport over the weekend and got questioned by seven different officers about how different I look compared to my passport photo.

“Since I had to sit there and talk to seven officers about every procedures I had done.

“Obviously, I’ve got these done 400 CC in both sides above the muscle, obviously lip filler, I did get a rhinoplasty, I’m not that happy with the results but I think it looks better than what I was born with.”

Oophs! Kate Cassidy leaves airport security shocked over passport photo mismatch

Opening up about non-surgical procedures she had, Kate said: “I have cheek fillers, chin fillers, Botox everywhere, I can barely move my face.

“I’m also naturally a blonde, I dyed my hair brown, I have a whole head of extensions, I have fake nails.

“I’m also naturally super pale, so I do spray tans once a week.

“I also don’t have natural freckles anymore, so I also draw on freckles every single day.” 

Meanwhile, Kate is s struggling to find a good partner as she finds herself comparing potential partners to the late singer.

Kate, was in a relationship with Liam Payne before his death in October 2024.

Cassidy and Payne were first seen together in October 2022 and were still dating when the singer tragically fell from a third-floor balcony and passed away on October 16, 2024. 





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jesy Nelson’s fight for SMS screening moves closer to approval in Parliament

Published

on

Jesy Nelson’s fight for SMS screening moves closer to approval in Parliament


Jesy’s twin daughters, Ocean and Story had been diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) Type 1 

This is the news Jesy Nelson has been waiting for. 

The Boyz singer, 34, has shared deeply personal news, announcing that Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) will now be debated in Parliament.

It is pertinent to mention that her twin daughters, Ocean and Story had been diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) Type 1. 

SMA is a rare muscle-wasting condition that makes it unlikely for children to walk and and often requires specialist equipment to help them breathe at night, as well as feeding tubes.

Jesy Nelsons fight for SMS screening moves closer to approval in Parliament

The singer, who has been tirelessly campaigning for the NHS, shared the that the UK Government has confirmed that the petition to add SMA to newborn screening in England will now be debated in Parliament on 22 June.

The news comes following calls demanding the health secretary to overrule the committee’s guidance and make effective treatment more accessible on the NHS.

Last month, Jesy shared her joy as the NHS announced they would roll out ‘heel prick’ testing on newborns for SMA.

Wes Streeting also announced plans for more than 400,000 babies to be screened for the condition from October 2026.

Jesy has continued to update her followers on her twin’s SMA journey over the past couple of months.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending