Business
FTSE 100 edges up amid cautious US-Iran optimism
The FTSE 100 posted modest gains on Friday while the oil price fell amid guarded optimism about a Middle East peace deal.
The FTSE 100 closed up 22.79 points, 0.2%, at 10,466.26.
The FTSE 250 ended up 219.55 points, 1.0%, at 23,167.47, and the Aim All-Share rose 3.59 points, 0.5%, at 800.23.
For the week, the FTSE 100 rose 2.7%, and the FTSE 250 climbed 2.5%, but the Aim All-Share fell 1.5%.
Stocks gained encouragement from lower oil prices as investors weighed the latest developments in the Middle East.
US secretary of state Marco Rubio on Thursday said there were “some good signs” in the negotiations between the US and Iran, but added that he did not want to be “overly optimistic”.
Meanwhile, a senior UAE official said on Friday that the US and Iran have a “50-50” chance of reaching an agreement that would free up the Strait of Hormuz.
Presidential adviser Anwar Gargash urged Tehran not to overplay its hand in the stop-start negotiations during the Middle East war’s fragile ceasefire.
Iranian officials “have missed a lot of chances over the years because there’s a tendency to overestimate their cards”, Gargash told the Globsec Forum in Prague.
“I hope they don’t do that this time.”
Susannah Streeter, chief investment strategist at Wealth Club, said hopes for a resolution to the Middle East crisis continue to “ebb and flow”, but there remains “cautious optimism at the end of the week”.
Brent crude for July delivery traded lower at 104.22 dollars a barrel on Friday, down from 107.98 dollars at the time of the equities close in London on Thursday.
In London, investors also assessed data which showed UK public sector borrowing was higher than expected in April, while retail sales came in shy of the forecast.
The Office for National Statistics said borrowing in April totalled £24.34 billion, rising from £11.48 billion in March and higher than the £19.46 billion recorded a year prior.
The ONS said the April figure was “£3.4 billion more than the £20.9 billion forecast by the Office for Budget Responsibility”.
However, borrowing in the financial year to March was below the OBR forecast.
Borrowing in the financial year ended March was provisionally estimated at £129.0 billion, down 15% on the year and £3.7 billion below the OBR’s £132.7 billion forecast.
Borrowing in the year to March was estimated at 4.2% of gross domestic product, the lowest figure since financial 2020, when it was 2.6%.
The ONS said its forecast for borrowing in the year to March was reduced by £3.0 billion from its last estimate.
Separately, the ONS said retail sales volumes fell 1.3% in April from March.
They had risen 0.6% in March, revised down from an initially reported 0.7% climb.
A lesser decline of 0.6% had been expected for April, according to consensus cited by FXStreet.
The pound traded at 1.3441 dollars on Friday afternoon, up from 1.3401 dollars on Thursday.
Against the euro, sterling firmed to 1.1584 euro from 1.1566 euro on Thursday.
In European equity markets on Friday, the Cac 40 in Paris ended up 0.4%, and the Dax 40 in Frankfurt jumped 1.2%.
In Europe, German business morale unexpectedly increased in May, a survey showed on Friday, raising hopes that Europe’s biggest economy is weathering the Iran war energy shock better than feared.
The Ifo institute’s confidence barometer rose to 84.9 points from 84.5 in April, the first time it has gone up since the start of the Mideast conflict, and confounded analyst expectations for a slight decrease.
In New York, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.6%, the S&P 500 was 0.2% higher, and the Nasdaq Composite climbed 0.1%.
The yield on the US 10-year Treasury narrowed to 4.58% on Friday from 4.62% on Thursday.
The yield on the US 30-year Treasury ebbed to 5.09% from 5.14%.
The euro traded higher against the greenback, at 1.1603 dollars on Friday against 1.1587 dollars on Thursday.
Against the yen, the dollar was trading at 159.12 yen, lower than 159.17 yen.
On the FTSE 100, Croda rose 4.3% as JPMorgan reiterated an “overweight” rating, while 3i Group climbed 2.7% as chief executive Simon Borrows bought a chunk of shares worth £1.1 million in total.
Cooling bond yields, as expectations for fewer interest rate hikes gained ground, boosted housebuilder Persimmon, up 3.0%, while a positive trading update lifted Games Workshop by 7.9%.
The FTSE 250 saw double-digit moves for Ceres Power, Bodycote and Softcat.
Horsham-based clean energy technology developer Ceres Power shot up 21% as UBS raised its share price target by 70% to 970p from 570p.
Bodycote soared 19% as it became the latest UK-listed company to receive bid interest.
The Macclesfield-based thermal processing firm said it had received an offer price of 885 pence per share in cash from Apollo Management.
Meanwhile, Softcat surged 13% after raising its full-year profit growth expectations and saying it is “encouraged” by business momentum.
Buckinghamshire, England-based Softcat said it continued to perform well in its third quarter ended April 30, with strong double-digit growth on-year in both gross profit and underlying operating profit.
Gold traded at 4,520.92 dollars an ounce on Friday, up from 4,508.26 dollars on Thursday.
The biggest risers on the FTSE 100 were Games Workshop, up 1,510.0p at 20,560.0p, Rightmove, up 29.8p at 440.6p, Croda International, up 123.0p at 2,991.0p, Metlen Energy & Metals, up 1.36p at 38.98p and Rolls Royce, up 40.6p at 1,248.8p.
The biggest fallers on the FTSE 100 were Convatec, down 6.6p at 197.0p, BP, down 14.0p at 551.2p, Experian, down 54.0p at 2,591.0p, Lion Finance, down 200.0p at 10,640.0p and Fresnillo, down 60.0p at 3,236.0p.
Financial markets in the UK and the US are closed on Monday.
Later in the week, the global economic calendar has Australian inflation figures and the US personal consumption expenditures price index.
Next week’s local corporate calendar has first-quarter results from B&Q owner Kingfisher on Tuesday and full-year results from electricity generator SSE on Thursday.
– Contributed by Alliance News
Business
Two top Walmart executives leave company under new CEO John Furner
A Walmart store is seen on Feb. 3, 2026 in Austin, Texas.
Brandon Bell | Getty Images
Two top Walmart executives are departing the company, nearly four months after CEO John Furner took over, CNBC learned on Friday.
Tom Ward, the chief operating officer of Walmart’s warehouse Sam’s Club, is retiring, while Cedric Clark, Walmart’s executive vice president of U.S. store operations, is leaving the business, internal memos viewed by CNBC shows.
A replacement for Clark is expected to be announced in the “coming weeks,” the memo stated. It’s unclear when the company expects to fill Ward’s position.
The leadership shuffle comes after Furner took over as Walmart’s CEO in February. Alongside Furner’s promotion, the company elevated four new top executives to work alongside him earlier this year. Seth Dallaire was promoted to chief growth officer, overseeing the company’s marketplace and advertising businesses, David Guggina was elevated to CEO of Walmart U.S., Chris Nicholas became CEO of Walmart International and Latriece Watkins became CEO of Sam’s Club.
Furner took over the largest U.S. retailer during a period of sustained growth, fueled by gains with higher-income consumers and the expansion of its e-commerce business.
Walmart announced fiscal first-quarter earnings on Thursday, where it issued mixed results and said its business remained strong despite consumer pressures and high gas prices.
The leadership changes were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
Business
British Airways raises price of Avios reward tickets
British Airways is putting up the price of reward tickets for customers using Avios, giving five days’ notice of the increases.
The cash element of tickets booked through its loyalty scheme will rise by up to 33 per cent from Wednesday 27 May.
For example, a ticket in Club World from London Heathrow to New York JFK, once requiring 176,000 Avios, will now also require £499 – an increase of roughly £100, or about 25 per cent.
In an email, the airline said the amount of Avios required for bookings will remain unchanged for now. “Thank you for your continued support and understanding,” it said.
Customers have until Wednesday to book at current prices.
Writing on his Head for Points frequent-flyer website, Rob Burgess said: “This is the second devaluation in just five months. The earlier changes led to a 10 per cent increase in the Avios element and 3-23 per cent increase in the cash element.
“This change only impacts the cash element and represents an additional 10-33 per cent
“These changes are very likely to be linked to the increase in fuel costs due to the Middle East crisis, although British Airways has better hedging in place than most carriers. With little sign of the oil situation improving, however, it is likely that fuel costs will remain high beyond the life of the hedges.”
Simon Calder, travel correspondent at The Independent, said: “When British Airways first unveiled ‘Air Miles’, flights were genuinely free – no one was expected to hand over cash.
“To see the cash element increased up to £500 will prove a deterrent for some. But many passengers, especially those who amass Avios on their company’s spend, remain transactionally loyal to BA.”
In April, IAG – which owns British Airways, Aer Lingus and Iberia of Spain – said it was increasing the price of ordinary cash tickets because of the impact of the conflict.
“We are not seeing jet fuel supply interruptions, but fuel prices have risen sharply and, despite our hedging strategy which gives some shorter term mitigation, we are not immune to the impact,” it said. “Like other carriers, IAG airlines are making some pricing adjustments to reflect these higher fuel costs.”
Read more: All the airlines cancelling flights as easyJet and Jet2 issue updates
Business
Disney’s ‘Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu’ tallies lowest Thursday preview sales in franchise history
Still from “Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu.”
“Star Wars” returns to the big screen for the first time in seven years this weekend, riding the contrails of a Mandalorian’s jetpack.
Disney’s “Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu” tallied $12 million in Thursday night preview sales, the lowest collection of advanced tickets in the franchise’s history, according to data from Comscore. “Solo: A Star Wars Story” was the previous low bar with $14.1 million in preshow tickets back in 2018.
Box office analysts expect the film based on the hit Disney+ show “The Mandalorian” to generate around $80 million for its three-day opening weekend and around $95 million for the four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend. Some less conservative experts have estimated the three-day haul could be $95 million and the holiday weekend could draw $115 million.
That would be one of the smallest openings of a “Star Wars film in modern cinematic history. “Solo” captured $84.4 million during its opening eight years ago. Since 2015, only “Solo” has opened to less than $100 million domestically, Comscore data show.
“The Mandalorian and Grogu” will likely benefit from the popularity of the television show, the long Memorial Day weekend and limited competition from new titles, especially on premium large format screens.
It will also act as a stress test for future “Star Wars” theatrical releases amid a lackluster cinema run for “Star Wars” and Marvel, the tentpole franchises that helped Disney dominate the global box office in the 2010s. The studio has “Starfighter” arriving in cinemas in 2027 starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Shawn Levy.
New “Star Wars” titles have been absent from cinemas since 2019’s “The Rise of Skywalker.” The final film in the Skywalker Saga and third film in what has become known as the sequel trilogy generated more than $1 billion, but was widely panned by critics and fans. Disney and its Lucasfilm studio paused theatrical productions in favor of reestablishing the franchise on streaming service Disney+.
“The Mandalorian,” which premiered just a month before “The Rise of Skywalker,” was a runaway hit for the company and inspired a number of live-action Star Wars projects to get a series run instead of a theatrical one. These include “Andor,” “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” “Ahsoka,” “Skeleton Crew,” “The Acolyte” and “The Book of Boba Fett.”
Lucasfilm tapped director Jon Favreau, who worked alongside the newly minted head of the studio Dave Filoni to bring “The Mandalorian” to Disney+, to helm “The Mandalorian and Grogu.” The feature film had a slightly smaller budget than typical Star Wars films, with the cost of production estimated to be around $165 million. Other “Star Wars” projects released theatrically in the previous decade had production budgets of $250 million or higher, according to data from The Numbers.
This means that “The Mandalorian and Grogu” has a smaller profitability threshold than previous titles from the franchise. Of course, those production budgets do not include marketing spending.
For parent company Disney, it’s not just about the box office numbers. The film has a robust consumer products launch tied to its release.
The “Star Wars” franchise has consistently been a strong seller at retail even without a theatrical release. So having new products across a variety of categories and brands could be a big boon for the company — especially after the character Grogu, known as “Baby Yoda,” was a runaway hit with fans.
Notably, following the 2015 release of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the first of Lucasfilm’s latest “Star Wars” trilogy, Hasbro alone saw sales of “Star Wars” products reach nearly $500 million.
Not to mention, Disney is already doing tie-ins at its theme park locations, including specialized merchandise and a revamp of its Smugglers Run ride featuring Grogu.
-
Entertainment7 days agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Entertainment1 week agoEmilia Clarke recalls near-death incident while filming ‘Game of Thrones’
-
Business1 week agoJersey Election 2026: Cost of living concern in St Helier Central
-
Politics7 days agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Politics1 week agoUK’s Starmer faces survival battle as potential rivals circle
-
Politics1 week agoTrump says China will order 200 Boeing jets
-
Tech1 week agoGreg Brockman Officially Takes Control of OpenAI’s Products in Latest Shakeup
-
Entertainment1 week agoDrake drops highly anticipated "Iceman" album, plus two surprise albums
