Connect with us

Entertainment

MLB’s “robot umpire” debuts in Yankees-Giants season opener

Published

on

MLB’s “robot umpire” debuts in Yankees-Giants season opener


San Francisco — New York’s José Caballero thought for sure the pitch from Logan Webb had missed the strike zone, so he challenged the human umpire’s call – and made major league history in the process.

Caballero lost the first challenge taken to Major League Baseball’s so-called robot umpire, unsuccessfully appealing a strike by the San Francisco Giants right-hander in Wednesday night’s season opener that the Yankees won, 7-0.

Caballero didn’t hesitate. “Nope, I wanted to go for it,” he said.

Webb started the fourth inning with a 90.7 mph sinker on the upper, inner corner that was called a strike by Bill Miller, a major league umpire since 1997. Caballero tapped his helmet, and the 12 Hawk-Eye cameras of the Automated Ball-Strike System upheld Miller’s decision in a graphic shown on the Oracle Park scoreboard.

“I thought it was a little higher that what it showed,” Caballero said.

“I think it’s really good, keep everyone accountable,” he added. “It gives us a chance to really see how good (we are) with the zone or not. I wish it was the other way around, I’m trying to get the overturn call but this time I didn’t.”

New York was ahead 5-0 at the time. Caballero drove in the first run with an RBI single in a five-run second inning against Webb, who recorded his 1,000th career strikeout in the fourth.

New York Yankees shortstop José Caballero, left, celebrates with second baseman Jazz Chisholm Jr. after game against the San Francisco Giants in San Francisco on March 25, 2026.

Jeff Chiu / AP


The automated system had been tested in the minor leagues since 2019 and was used during major league spring training in 2025 and ’26. Some managers have said they will still find ways to argue and get ejected.

CBSSports.com’s Mike Axisa pointed out that, “Funny enough, the next pitch was a called strike that looked even more egregiously out of the zone. Caballero did not challenge that one, though. He wasn’t going to burn New York’s two challenges on back-to-back pitches. There’s plenty of strategy with these challenges. Teams won’t just challenge anything they think went against them. The game situation is important.”

Before Wednesday’s game, Yankees manager Aaron Boone spoke in support of ABS and the importance of discussing decisions on challenges with his team ahead of time. He stressed that this will be a learning process for everybody involved.

“I’ve tried to be real direct with them and why,” he said. “I feel like we’re going to be good at it, that’s the expectation. I’m sure we’ll continue to evolve with it.”

New San Francisco skipper Tony Vitello, who came to the Giants from the University of Tennessee with no professional experience as a player or coach, said he had to remind himself earlier Wednesday that the robots might take over at times.

“‘I’ve got to be honest with you, one thing I was looking at is who are the umpires tonight?” he said. “You get on Google (and) the first thing you see is there’s going to be a robot umpire. And it was only for a millisecond but I kind of freaked out.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Katsuhiro Otomo gives major update on ‘Orbital Era’ with new studio

Published

on

Katsuhiro Otomo gives major update on ‘Orbital Era’ with new studio


Katsuhiro Otomo gives major update on Orbital Era with new studio

Katsuhiro Otomo has started a new animation studio called Oval Gear and it quickly caught the attention of anime fans around the world.

The move brought new hope for his long delayed film Orbital Era, which was first started buzzing about a few years ago but never fully updated.

The studio has now gone live with its official website and fans noticed something important right away.

The site, however, shows visuals that match Orbital Era, including a space themed character that was previously linked to the film. This made many people believe that the project may finally be active again.

Oval Gear explains on its website that the studio was created to pass on Otomo’s creative style to new artists while also building new anime projects for the future.

It also says the studio wants to share new stories with global audiences.

Another key detail is that the studio is hiring new staff, as this usually means work is starting behind the scenes and a project is being built step by step.

Fans have been waiting for years because Otomo has not directed a major anime film in a long time, as his last major anime work was connected to Short Peace in 2013.

With this new studio launch, excitement has returned and many now believe Orbital Era could finally move closer to becoming a real film.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cardi B nearly passes out during parenting moment: ‘I can’t handle it’

Published

on

Cardi B nearly passes out during parenting moment: ‘I can’t handle it’


The Grammy-winning rapper explains why she’s more of a ‘girl mom’

Cardi B had a relatable parenting moment after nearly wilting under the sun at her son Wave’s baseball game.

Over the weekend, the Grammy-rapper showed up to support her 4-year-old and even threw the first pitch, but later admitted the outdoor heat had her feeling like she was on the verge of collapse.

The mom-of-four opened up about the experience on Instagram Stories after videos of her walking onto the field with Wave and tossing the ceremonial pitch went viral online. While Cardi looked confident on the diamond as fans cheered her on, she quickly learned that surviving the weather was the real challenge.

“This is why I say I’m such a girls’ mom,” she joked. “A dance recital inside, I love it. I love a dance recital inside.”

“Being outside in this heat for a baseball game, urgh, I can’t handle it,” she continued, before adding, “I’m ready to pass out, I can’t handle it.”

The Bodack Yellow hitmaker shares daughter Kulture, son Wave and daughter Blossom with estranged husband Offset, and welcomed a son with NFL star Stefon Diggs in November 2025.

The outing also comes as Cardi and Diggs continue fuelling reconciliation rumours after recently being spotted together at his Mother’s Day wellness event.

That followed another viral sighting that appeared to show the pair in a heated exchange, which Cardi later joked about on X.

“Sometimes I forget I’m a celebrity… damn y’all ain’t never cuss your babydad out when you hungry?” she quipped.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

After provinces, Centre lifts austerity-driven business-hour curbs until May 31

Published

on

After provinces, Centre lifts austerity-driven business-hour curbs until May 31


This undated image shows a large number of people throng Karachi’s Ranchor Line Sabzi Bazaar to purchase essential items. — APP/File 
  • Shops and malls exempt from closure timings.
  • Punjab, Sindh already eased business restrictions earlier.
  • Energy conservation curbs imposed earlier now relaxed.

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday approved the exemption of business closure timings across the country until May 31, effectively allowing commercial centres to operate without the previously imposed restrictions.

According to a notification issued by the Cabinet Division, all shops, departmental stores, bazaars, markets and shopping malls will remain open on all days of the week without restriction on closing hours.

The exemption also applies to bakeries, tandoors, restaurants and grocery stores, which have been allowed to continue operations beyond the earlier fixed timings.

The decision comes after provincial governments had already relaxed business-hour restrictions. The Punjab government had earlier extended relaxed operating hours for markets and commercial centres until June 1, while suspending the mandatory 8pm closure rule.

Similarly, the Sindh government had on May 16 announced relief for traders and citizens, exempting markets, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels and marriage halls from fixed closing times in a bid to support economic activity.

Meanwhile, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan governments also followed suit, announcing the end of smart lockdown measures across the province and lifting restrictions on market timings and business hours.

Business hours were curtailed across the country last month as part of energy conservation measures introduced amid a sharp increase in domestic fuel prices, triggered by the conflict in the Middle East.

The measures, which formed part of the federal government’s broader austerity and fuel-conservation plan, were aimed at reducing energy consumption following the surge in fuel prices.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending