Connect with us

Business

Peloton posts bullish holiday forecast, betting that shoppers will spend big on new product lineup

Published

on

Peloton posts bullish holiday forecast, betting that shoppers will spend big on new product lineup


Peloton on Thursday posted its second profitable quarter in a row as it released strong guidance for the crucial holiday shopping season, banking on its relaunched product assortment to drive growth. 

The connected fitness company posted a surprise net income of $13.9 million in the three months ended Sept. 30, compared with a loss of $900,000 a year earlier. 

For the current quarter, Peloton’s strongest for hardware sales, the company is expecting revenue to be between $665 million and $685 million, a slight increase from the year-ago period and largely better than Wall Street expectations of $665 million, according to LSEG. 

Peloton also raised its full-year adjusted EBITDA outlook and is now expecting it to be between $425 million and $475 million, up $25 million from its previous outlook on both ends. Much of that forecast is ahead of analyst expectations of between $400 million and $450 million, according to StreetAccount. 

Shares jumped about 11% in extended trading Thursday.

Despite the good news, Peloton is still dealing with issues from its past. Earlier on Thursday, it said it was initiating yet another recall from its early product lineup. The Consumer Product Safety Commission said the company was recalling 833,000 of its original Bike+ devices after receiving reports that the seat post can break and detach during a ride – the same issue that prompted a recall of its base Bike model in 2023. 

“We have received a small number of reports of an original series Bike+ seat post breaking during use. As of today, we are aware of three such incidents,” Peloton CEO Peter Stern said on the company’s earnings call Thursday.

Peloton’s latest recall cost the company $13.5 million during the quarter reported Thursday, contributing to a 0.3 percentage point decline in its gross margin.

For its first fiscal 2026 quarter reported Thursday, Peloton beat analyst expectations on the top and bottom lines. 

Here’s how the fitness company did in its first fiscal quarter compared with what Wall Street was anticipating, based on a survey of analysts by LSEG:

  • Earnings per share: 3 cents vs. 0 cents expected
  • Revenue: $551 million vs. $540 million expected

Sales dropped to $551 million, down about 6% from $586 million a year earlier. 

Under the direction of Stern, who took the helm in January, the connected fitness company has been finalizing its cost cuts and turning its attention back to growth now that it’s back to regularly generating free cash flow and operating profitably. 

“Our intent is to go well beyond [cardio connected fitness]… we’ve got strength, we’ve got mental, mental wellbeing, nutrition and hydration and sleep and recovery,” Stern said. “We are focused on growth, but the growth needs to be profitable … both in top line growth as well as increased margins associated with that business as well.”

Last month, Peloton relaunched its product assortment, introduced a commercial equipment line and raised prices for both subscriptions and hardware ahead of the holiday shopping season. 

The revamped assortment, touching its bike, rowing machine and treadmill products, features an AI-powered tracking camera, speakers, a 360-degree swivel screen and hands-free control, among other new features. 

“Our launch of an entirely new product lineup with the cross training series, is a great reason for us to talk to our members and nonmembers alike,” Stern said.

Peloton is betting consumers will be willing to spend big on the products for flashy holiday gifts, either for themselves or a loved one. But just over a month into the launch, it remains unclear how they’re performing. The company’s first fiscal quarter ended the day before the new products were launched. 

Across the retail industry, the personal electronics category has been under pressure. 

While Peloton operates in a category of its own, shoppers have been pulling back on other big-ticket items and being more careful about where their dollars are going in an unsteady economic environment. 

After Peloton’s last recall, the company said at the time that it saw higher-than-expected membership churn and costs as a result.

– CNBC’s Luke Fountain contributed to this report



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

FTSE 100 up amid calmer bonds but oil rises again

Published

on

FTSE 100 up amid calmer bonds but oil rises again



The FTSE 100 closed higher on Monday, recouping most of Friday’s hefty falls amid a calmer bond market and as Iran responded to the latest US peace proposal.

The FTSE 100 closed up 128.38 points, 1.3%, at 10,323.75. The FTSE 250 ended up 15.56 points, 0.1%, at 22,611.70, but the AIM All-Share fell 8.72 points, 1.1%, at 800.17.

Iran said it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war, adding that diplomatic exchanges continue despite Iranian media reports describing Washington’s demands as excessive, AFP reported.

Washington and Tehran have been swapping proposals in an effort to end the conflict, which the US and Israel launched on February 28, but they have held only a single round of talks despite a fragile ceasefire.

“As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side,” foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told a news briefing, adding that exchanges were “continuing through the Pakistani mediator”.

Mr Baqaei defended Iran’s demands, including the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad and the lifting of long-standing sanctions.

“The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” he said.

But with no signs of clear progress, the oil price remained inflated and volatile.

Brent crude for July delivery was trading at 110.80 dollars a barrel on Monday, up compared to 108.83 at the time of the equities close in London on Friday.

After a frantic Friday, the bond markets calmed, while sterling also rebounded as investors weighed the latest political developments.

The yield on UK 10-year gilts traded at 5.14% compared to 5.17% at the same time on Friday.

The pound traded at 1.3397 dollars on Monday afternoon, up from 1.3319 on Friday. Against the euro, sterling firmed to 1.1506 euros from 1.1462 on Friday.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer insisted he would not set out a timetable to leave No 10 as potential leadership challenger Andy Burnham vowed to “change Labour” if he is successful in his effort to return to Parliament.

The Prime Minister said he still wants to lead Labour into the next general election amid calls from within the party to set out a timetable for his exit.

Greater Manchester Mayor Mr Burnham hopes to be Labour’s candidate in the Makerfield by-election, which could provide him with a route back to the Commons to challenge for the party leadership and the keys to Downing Street.

Speaking to broadcasters in London, Sir Keir said he was not going to set out a timetable to stand down if Mr Burnham returns to Westminster.

He added: “I do want to fight the next election. Obviously, I recognise that after the local election results, the elections in Wales and Scotland as well, that the first task is obviously turning things around and making sure that my focus is in the right place.”

Meanwhile, the International Monetary Fund said growth in the UK economy will be stronger this year than previously thought.

The IMF updated its growth projections a month after warning of a sharp slowdown caused by the global energy shock from the US-Iran war.

The influential financial body said it was now predicting UK gross domestic product to rise by 1% in 2026, higher than the 0.8% growth it was forecasting last month.

Responding to the latest report, Chancellor Rachel Reeves said: “The IMF upgrading its growth forecasts and backing our fiscal strategy is yet more proof that this Government has the right economic plan.”

In Europe, equity markets on Monday, the Cac 40 in Paris ended up 0.4%, and the Dax 40 in Frankfurt advanced 1.5%.

In New York, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.1%, the S&P 500 fell 0.4%, and the Nasdaq Composite was 0.7% lower.

On the FTSE 100, Whitbread closed up 2.3% after Corvex Management urged the Premier Inn owner to put itself up for sale, slamming its recently announced new five-year strategic plan.

In a damning letter to Whitbread management, the New York-based activist hedge fund called the status quo “untenable” and said that the need to pursue “meaningful strategic and structural reform had become unignorable”.

As a result, Corvex, which holds a stake of around 7% in Whitbread, said the only “credible” path to unlocking value at Whitbread is a sale of the company.

Anglo America fell 1.4% as it struck a deal to sell its portfolio of steelmaking coal mines in Australia to Dhilmar for up to 3.88 billion dollars in cash.

The London-based mining house said Dhilmar will pay the FTSE 100-listing 2.3 billion dollars upfront, and the deal has a price-linked earnout of up to 1.58 billion dollars.

Anglo American chief executive officer Duncan Wanblad said: “This agreement represents another major step in the simplification of our portfolio ahead of completing our merger with Teck. Through this transaction, we will complete our exit from steelmaking coal.”

Susannah Streeter, chief investment strategist at Wealth Club, said: “This not only strengthens the balance sheet, ahead of its planned merger with Canada’s Teck Resources, but also keeps it exposed to future strength in coal prices.”

Capita shares rose 8.9% as the London-based outsourcing and business services company said adjusted revenue rose 2.9% on-year in the first four months of 2026, which it said was in line with expectations.

Looking ahead, Capita said it continues to expect a low to mid-single digit revenue climb in Capita Public Service and expects mid-teen revenue growth in its Pension Solutions business.

The biggest risers on the FTSE 100 were Centrica, up 7.70p at 196.95p, National Grid, up 43.50p at 1,231.50p, Pearson, up 37.00p at 1,136.50p, Relx, up 81.00p at 2,504.00p, and SSE, up 74.00p at 2,345.00p.

The biggest fallers on the FTSE 100 were 3i Group, down 128.00p at 2,082.00p, Airtel Africa, down 15.60p at 312.80p, Mondi, down 16.40p at 734.60p, Polar Capital Technology Trust, down 12.50p at 659.00p and Diploma, down 95.00p at 6,625.00p.

Tuesday’s global economic calendar has UK consumer and wholesale inflation figures, eurozone inflation data and the minutes of the last Federal Open Market Committee meeting.

Tuesday’s local corporate calendar has full-year results from business services group DCC, half-year numbers from supplier of specialised technical products and services, Doploma, and electricals retailer Currys.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

RBI sees no signs of excess credit risk, keeps countercyclical capital buffer inactive

Published

on

RBI sees no signs of excess credit risk, keeps countercyclical capital buffer inactive


The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Monday decided against activating the countercyclical capital buffer (CCyB), indicating that current financial and credit conditions do not warrant an additional capital requirement for banks, PTI reported.The central bank said the decision followed a review and empirical assessment of indicators used under the CCyB framework.“Based on review and empirical analysis of CCyB indicators, it has been decided that it is not necessary to activate CCyB at this point in time,” RBI said in a statement.Under the RBI (Commercial Banks – Prudential Norms on Capital Adequacy) Directions, 2025, the CCyB framework is activated when financial conditions indicate rising systemic risks linked to excessive credit growth.The framework primarily relies on the credit-to-GDP gap as a key indicator, along with supplementary metrics.According to the RBI, the CCyB mechanism is intended to serve two broad objectives.Firstly, it requires a bank to build up a buffer of capital in good times, which may be used to maintain the flow of credit to the real sector in difficult times.Secondly, it achieves the broader macro-prudential goal of restricting the banking sector from indiscriminate lending in the periods of excess credit growth that have often been associated with the building up of system-wide risk.The framework was introduced globally after the 2008 financial crisis as part of measures proposed by the Group of Central Bank Governors and Heads of Supervision (GHOS) under the Basel framework to strengthen financial system resilience.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Ford boss hints at return of Fiesta as an electric model

Published

on

Ford boss hints at return of Fiesta as an electric model



The company has announced plans to build seven new models in Europe including a small electric hatchback.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending