Business
Rs2.6tr debt repaid ahead of schedule: Schehzad | The Express Tribune

Pakistan has retired Rs2.6 trillion in public debt well ahead of schedule, Advisor to Finance Minister Khurram Schehzad announced on Sunday.
In a post shared on X (formerly Twitter), Schehzad revealed that around Rs1.6 trillion was paid back to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) in just 59 days—an achievement he termed as “historic fiscal discipline”.
Historic Move: Pakistan Retires PKR 2,600 Billion Debt Before Time — A First in Pakistan’s History
In an unprecedented move and a record achievement for fiscal responsibility, the Ministry of Finance (MoF), Government of Pakistan (GoP), has retired over PKR 1,600 Billion of…
— Khurram Schehzad (@kschehzad) August 31, 2025
The finance ministry, he said, repaid Rs500 billion on June 30, 2025, followed by a second repayment of Rs1,133 billion on August 29, bringing total early SBP repayments to Rs1,633 billion.
He also highlighted a previous Rs1,000 billion repayment to the domestic commercial market during the first half of the fiscal year, calling it Pakistan’s first-ever advanced domestic debt retirement operation.
“Including both the central bank and commercial portions, the total early debt retirement in less than one year now comes to over PKR 2,600 billion — an unprecedented scale and decisive action in the country’s fiscal history,” the advisor stated.
Read More: $1.8b at risk on spectrum auction delay
Schehzad added that this marks a fundamental shift in fiscal management away from “debt-heavy practices” that previously squeezed development space. He noted that 30% of SBP debt has now been retired early—cutting the stock from Rs5.5 trillion to Rs3.8 trillion—well before its scheduled maturity in 2029.
“Early repayments eased the 2029 refinancing burden, lowered rollover risks, and created more room for development spending,” he said.
According to Schehzad, the average maturity of domestic debt has also improved sharply—from 2.7 years in 2024 to 3.8 years—marking the most significant single-year improvement in the country’s history and exceeding the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) targets.
He further claimed that the government had already saved over Rs800 billion in taxpayer money this fiscal year through falling interest rates and disciplined repayments.
“By reversing a cycle of unchecked borrowing and prioritising repayments, Pakistan is restoring fiscal credibility and building long-term resilience,” he concluded.
Business
Digital payments safety: RBI Deputy Governor Rao flags off Chandigarh walkathon; stresses responsible digital use – The Times of India

Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor M Rajeshwar Rao on Sunday flagged off a walkathon on cyber security awareness at Sukhna Lake here, stressing that banking services, especially digital platforms, are designed for public convenience and must be used responsibly.The walkathon, organised by the Bankers’ Club, Chandigarh, saw enthusiastic participation from bankers across the region, who came together to spread awareness on safe banking and responsible digital practices, PTI reported.According to an official statement, Rao said physical outreach campaigns like this, alongside RBI’s online initiatives, are highly effective in promoting cyber security. He added that while the circulation of counterfeit currency is minimal, people should continue to use the “look, touch, and feel” method to verify notes.Highlighting the shift in banking behaviour, Rao noted that with the rising adoption of digital payments, reliance on cash is declining, ensuring safer and more secure transactions.He also congratulated the banking fraternity for their commitment to promoting cyber safety through such awareness programmes.The event was attended by RBI Executive Directors, Vinod Kumar Arya, Chief General Manager of NABARD (Haryana), Nivedita Tiwari, Chief General Manager of Nabard (Punjab), Krishan Sharma, Chief General Manager of State Bank of India, Lalit Taneja, General Manager of Punjab National Bank, and zonal managers of several other institutions.The Bankers’ Club is a forum of senior bankers in Chandigarh, with members from RBI, Nabard, SBI, PNB, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and other financial institutions represented at the Deputy General Manager level and above.
Business
Badenoch in pledge to ‘get all our oil and gas out of the North Sea’

Kemi Badenoch has committed the Tories to extract as much oil and gas as possible from the North Sea.
The Conservative Party leader said it was “absurd” to leave the fossil fuel resources untapped.
But the Government said issuing new licences for oil and gas exploration would “not take a penny off bills” and would accelerate the “worsening climate crisis”.
A Conservative government would make “maximising extraction” its goal if it wins power, rather than measures aimed at shifting the North Sea industry away from fossil fuels.
Mrs Badenoch will use a speech in Aberdeen on Tuesday to set out her plans.
She will announce that the Tories plan to completely overhaul the North Sea Transition Authority (NSTA), which oversees the issuing of licences, dropping the word transition and giving it a simple order to extract the maximum possible amount of fossil fuels.
Ahead of her speech, Mrs Badenoch pledged that “we are going to get all our oil and gas out of the North Sea”.
She said: “We are in the absurd situation where our country is leaving vital resources untapped while neighbours such as Norway extract them from the same seabed.
“With the ONS (Office for National Statistics) confirming that economic growth is down partly because of falling oil and gas extraction, we cannot afford not to be doing everything to get hydrocarbons out the ground.
“Britain has already decarbonised more than every other major economy since 1990, yet we face some of the highest energy prices in the developed world.
“This is not sustainable and it cannot continue. That is why I am calling time on this unilateral act of economic disarmament and Labour’s impossible ideology of net zero by 2050.
“Russia’s war in Ukraine has only underscored that our energy supplies are a matter of national security.”
A Department for Energy Security and Net Zero spokesman said: “We are already delivering a fair and orderly transition in the North Sea to drive growth and secure skilled jobs for future generations, with the biggest ever investment in offshore wind and three first of a kind carbon capture and storage clusters.
“We are committed to delivering the manifesto commitment to not issue new licences to explore new fields because they will not take a penny off bills, cannot make us energy secure, and will only accelerate the worsening climate crisis.”
A Labour Party spokeswoman said: “We’ll take no lectures from Kemi Badenoch. Every family and business paid the price of the Conservatives’ failure to secure the UK’s energy.
“The Conservatives oversaw thousands of lost jobs in the North Sea. In contrast, this Labour Government is investing in the North Sea’s clean energy future, creating good jobs in offshore wind, hydrogen and carbon capture and storage, as we take back control of our energy for good.”
Offshore Energies UK chief executive David Whitehouse said: “As long as the UK continues to use oil and gas, it makes sense to produce as much of it as we can here at home.
“Every barrel of oil and gas we leave in the North Sea is a barrel we’ll need to import.
“Even in a net zero future, the UK will use 10-15 billion barrels of oil and gas between now and 2050. Current plans show the UK will produce less than four billion barrels, leaving us increasingly reliant on imports.
“Producing it here supports jobs, strengthens our economy, and improves our energy security.”
Business
Rhode Island’s ‘Taylor Swift Tax’ on vacation homes of the wealthy is spreading to other states

Taylor Swift attends the 67th GRAMMY Awards on February 02, 2025 in Los Angeles, California.
Frazer Harrison | Getty Images Entertainment | Getty Images
A version of this article appeared in CNBC’s Inside Wealth newsletter with Robert Frank, a weekly guide to the high-net-worth investor and consumer. Sign up to receive future editions, straight to your inbox.
A new push by states to tax the real estate of the wealthy has sparked a backlash among brokers and potential buyers, who say the taxes punish the most important local spenders.
From tax hikes on pricey second homes in Rhode Island and Montana to Cape Cod’s proposed transfer tax on homes over $2 million and the L.A. mansion tax, state and local governments see a revenue gold mine in the pricey properties of the wealthy.
“It’s a smack in the face to people who just spend money here,” said Donna Krueger-Simmons, sales agent with Mott & Chace Sotheby’s International in Watch Hill, Rhode Island.
The tax hikes are being driven by tighter state budgets and populist anger over housing costs. States are looking to offset budget cuts expected from the new tax and spending bill in Washington. At the same time, the housing market has become a tale of two buyers, with the middle class and younger families struggling to afford homes while the luxury housing market thrives from wealthy all-cash buyers.
The solution for many states: tax the homes of the rich.
Rhode Island’s new levy, nicknamed “The Taylor Swift Tax,” is among the most extreme. The popstar bought a beach house in the state’s elite Watch Hill community in 2013.
The measure imposes a new surcharge on second homes valued at more than $1 million. For non-primary residences, or those not occupied for more than 182 days a year, the state will charge $2.50 for every $500 in assessed value above the first $1 million. That charge is on top of existing property taxes and will add up to big increases for luxury homes in Newport, Watch Hill and other well-heeled, summer communities in the state.
Swift’s house, for instance, is assessed at around $28 million, according to local real estate records. Her current property taxes are estimated at around $201,000 a year. The new charges will add another $136,442 to her annual taxes, bringing her yearly total to $337,442 – even though locals say she rarely visits.
Real estate brokers say the increase targets the very taxpayers who already contribute the most. Wealthy second-homeowners pay hefty property taxes but don’t use many local services, since their primary residences are in New York; Boston; Palm Beach, Florida; or other locales. Their kids typically don’t attend the local schools, and they’re infrequent users of the police, fire, water and other municipal services since most stay for only 10 to 12 weeks out of the year.
“These are people who just come here for the summer, spend their money and pay their fair share of taxes,” said Krueger-Simmons. “They’re getting penalized just because they also live somewhere else.”
Brokers and longtime residents say the summer residents of Newport, Watch Hill and other seasonal beach towns are the economic engines for local businesses, restaurants and hotels.
“You’re just hurting the people who support small business,” said Lori Joyal, of the Lila Delman Compass office in Watch Hill. “You’re chasing away the people who spend most of the money in these towns.”
Rhode Island is also hiking its conveyance tax on luxury real estate starting in October. The tax on real estate sales will be an additional $3.75 for each $500 paid above $800,000 for a real estate purchase. At the same time, the state’s steep estate tax deters many of the ultra-wealthy from living there full-time.
Brokers say some second-home owners are considering selling and many would-be buyers are pausing their purchases. While the tax hike alone isn’t expected to lead to any significant wealth flight, Joyal said potential buyers in Rhode Island are already looking at coastal towns in Connecticut as alternatives.
“It’s always about choices,” she said. “At the end of the day it’s about how they can choose to spend their discretionary dollars. Connecticut has some beautiful coastal towns without some of these other high taxes.”
FILE – In this May 27, 2013, file photo, people walk past a house owned by Taylor Swift in the village of Watch Hill in Westerly, R.I.
Dave Collins | AP
Montana has passed a similar tax. The influx of Californians and other affluent newcomers who poured into the state during Covid has led to soaring home prices and growing resentment over gentrification. Meanwhile, the state’s low income tax rate and lack of a sales tax has left it little room for revenue increases to handle the necessary increase in services.
In May, the state passed a two-tier property tax plan, lowering rates for full-time residents and raising taxes on second homes and short-term rentals. For primary residences and long-term rentals valued at or below the state’s median home price, the tax rate will be 0.76%. Homes worth more than that will face a tiered-rate system of up to 1.9% on any value over four times the median price.
The Montana Department of Revenue expects the changes, which will start next year, will hike second-home taxes by an average of 68%. Brokers say some buyers are waiting to see the tax bills next year before making any decisions about whether to buy or sell.
“I’ve heard about some buyers who have put on the brakes to wait for the dust to settle and see what happens,” said Valerie Johnson, with PureWest Christie’s International Real Estate in Bozeman, Montana.
Johnson said that while the tax was touted by legislators as hitting wealthy second-home owners, it will also hit longtime locals who own investment homes and rent them out for income.
“These are small businesses for many people,” she said.
Manish Bhatt, a senior policy analyst at the Tax Foundation, said tax hikes aimed at wealthy second-home owners may be popular politically, but they rarely make for successful or efficient tax policy. Real property tax reform should be broad based, rather than focused on taxpayers who are singled out just because they don’t live in a community full-time, he said.
“There is a grab to find revenue right now,” he said. “But taxing second-home owners could have the opposite impact – dissuading people from owning a second home or continue to own in those communities.”
While the new taxes alone might not drive out the wealthy, “we do know that taxes are important to businesses and individuals and could cause people to make a decision to buy in another nearby state,” Bhatt said.
The projected revenue from the new taxes may also disappoint. When Los Angeles passed its so-called “mansion tax” in 2022, proponents touted revenue projections of between $600 million to $1.1 billion a year. The tax, imposed on real estate sales over $5 million, has only raised $785 million after more than two years, according to the Los Angeles Housing Department.
Higher interest rates that hurt the housing market have played a role, experts say. Yet Michael Manville, professor of urban planning at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, said wealthy buyers and sellers also reduced transactions in response to the tax.
“The lower revenue is a reason to be concerned because it suggests that the tax might actually be reducing transactions, which in turn can reduce housing production and property tax revenue,” he said.
-
Tech5 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series
-
Sports4 days ago
New Zealand rugby player Shane Christie, who suffered multiple concussions, dies aged 39 – SUCH TV
-
Tech4 days ago
Top CDC Officials Resign After Director Is Pushed Out
-
Fashion4 days ago
Portugal Jewels Chiado boutique nominated for two global design awards
-
Fashion4 days ago
ICE cotton futures fall for 2nd consecutive day on strong crop outlook
-
Sports4 days ago
New-look Pac-12 extends CW deal through 2031
-
Fashion4 days ago
Israel’s Delta Galil posts $470 mn Q2 sales, updates 2025 guidance
-
Sports4 days ago
Dolphins GM Chris Grier says fans threatened his family in string of vile emails after team’s lackluster year