Connect with us

Sports

India say bracing for daunting T20 World Cup ‘challenge’ against ‘quality’ Pakistan

Published

on

India say bracing for daunting T20 World Cup ‘challenge’ against ‘quality’ Pakistan


Pakistan’s Mohammad Haris and India’s Abhishek Sharma in action during the Asia Cup Group Stage clash at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, September 14, 2025. — Reuters

India on Tuesday said facing a “quality” Pakistan side in Colombo will be “a challenge,” after authorities in Islamabad instructed the national team to play the scheduled ICC Men’s T20 World Cup match on February 15.

The federal government late Monday ended a week-long stand-off by rescinding its order for the cricket team to boycott the clash.

“It’s great that the game is back on, we kind of never changed the preparation,” said India assistant coach Ryan ten Doeschate.

India will face a second Group A match against Namibia on Thursday in New Delhi before flying to Sri Lanka.

It means a quick turnaround for Sunday’s match, the biggest and most lucrative clash in world cricket.

“It’s going to be a challenge going to Colombo, where Pakistan have been for the last two weeks,” added Ten Doeschate.

“We are delighted to have another chance to play against a quality side in the first phase of the tournament. “We are fully focused on just bringing our best game to that fixture.”

Pakistan warmed up for the clash in perfect fashion with a second win of the tournament in Colombo on Tuesday, by 32 runs against the USA.

Opener Sahibzada Farhan, who top scored with 73, said: “The match is on and we are in a confident mood.”

The last time the teams met, at last year’s T20 Asian Cup, India beat Pakistan three times on their way to lifting the trophy in Dubai.

“This time it will be different, and we will give a strong performance,” said Farhan. “We lost all three matches, including the final to India in the Asia Cup, but they were not one-sided.”

Pakistan’s decision to go ahead with the match was hailed on Tuesday as an outbreak of “good sense” and “good for cricket”.

A frantic weekend of negotiations saw International Cricket Council (ICC) and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chiefs fly to Lahore on Sunday for talks with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

The governments of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka both wrote to the Islamabad government on Monday, urging it to change its stance and allow the game to go ahead.

‘Spirit of cricket’

After “multilateral discussions, as well as the request of friendly countries, the Government of Pakistan hereby directs the Pakistan National Cricket Team to take the field on February 15”, the Islamabad government said on its official X account late Monday night.

The decision had been taken with the aim of “protecting the spirit of cricket”, it added.

Former India cricketer Madan Lal told AFP on Tuesday that it was “good for cricket”. “We want strong teams to play so that the charm of the World Cup is not lost,” he added.

Sri Lanka, who will host the match, which generates multi-millions of dollars in advertising, broadcast rights, sponsorship and tourism, also praised the decision.

Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake, in a social media post, thanked Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for “ensuring the game we all love goes on”.

Veteran Indian journalist Pradeep Magazine told AFP, “good sense has prevailed on all sides”. Financial considerations would have been taken into account, he added.

“Everyone realised that losing the revenue from an India-Pakistan match would have been a loss-loss situation for all ICC member nations.”

Acrimonious build-up

The 20-team tournament has been overshadowed by an acrimonious political build-up. Bangladesh, who refused to play in India citing security concerns, were replaced by Scotland.

As a protest, Islamabad ordered the national team not to face co-hosts India in the Group A fixture.

Pakistan, who edged out the Netherlands in the tournament opener on Saturday, would have conceded two points if they had forfeited the match.

Pakistan will play all their T20 World Cup matches in Sri Lanka as part of an ICC deal that ensures the two nations only meet on neutral territory.

India captain Suryakumar Yadav said on Friday, before their opening win against the USA, that his team would travel to Colombo for the clash, whether the game was on or not.

“We haven’t said no to playing them,” Suryakumar said. “Our flights are booked, and we are going to Colombo.”





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

IndyCar driver Caio Collet’s vehicle catches fire in terrifying Indy 500 wreck

Published

on

IndyCar driver Caio Collet’s vehicle catches fire in terrifying Indy 500 wreck


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

IndyCar rookie Caio Collet was involved in a terrifying crash toward the end of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday afternoon with Felix Rosenqvist and Pato O’Ward fighting for first place.

Collet got loose in Turn 2 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and overcorrected just enough to send his vehicle into the wall. His right rear caught fire as he skidded down the track and onto the grass.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Caio Collet drives a Combitrans AJ Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet through turn three during practice on Miller Lite Carb Day at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Ind., on May 22, 2026. (Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire)

Emergency personnel came over to put the fire out and help Collet out of his car.

He was able to walk away from the scary wreck, but track officials called for a red flag. The red flag stopped the race and gave drivers a breather for what would be a total shootout for the final few laps.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Caio Collet leading the field during the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Caio Collet leads the field during the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis on May 24, 2026. (Michael Conroy/AP)

Collet will fall down the leaderboard as he didn’t finish the race.

The A.J. Foyt Racing driver was making his first appearance in the Indy 500. He graduated into the NTT IndyCar Series after finishing second in the Indy NXT Series last year. He won three races on the Indy NXT Series in 2025.

The Brazilian came into the race in 21st place in the IndyCar standings with 70 points through six starts. He has yet to finish in the top 10 in his first season.

David Maluka talking with Caio Collet at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

David Maluka talks with Caio Collet before practice for the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis on May 18, 2026. (Michael Conroy/AP)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The 2026 Indy 500 already featured more than 50 lead changes and was one of the more competitive events in recent memory.

Felix Rosenqvist won the race on the final lap.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

2026 NASCAR Odds: Denny Hamlin Favored At Coca-Cola 600, Tyler Reddick Second

Published

on

2026 NASCAR Odds: Denny Hamlin Favored At Coca-Cola 600, Tyler Reddick Second


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

When the NASCAR Cup Series went to Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600 in 2025, Ross Chastain got into Victory Lane after closing at +1800 to be the outright winner.

Chastain’s impressive win came after leading only eight laps on the day.

Which driver will take the checkered flag when the series goes back to Charlotte Motor Speedway on Memorial Day Weekend for one of NASCAR’s Crown Jewels?

Here are the odds at DraftKings Sportsbook as of May 24.

This page may contain affiliate links to legal sports betting partners. If you sign up or place a wager, FOX Sports may be compensated. Read more about Sports Betting on FOX Sports.

NASCAR Cup Series Coca-Cola 600

Denny Hamlin: +380 (bet $10 to win $48 total)
Tyler Reddick: +500 (bet $10 to win $60 total)
Kyle Larson: +800 (bet $10 to win $90 total)
Christopher Bell: +800 (bet $10 to win $90 total)
Chase Briscoe: +1000 (bet $10 to win $110 total)
William Byron: +1100 (bet $10 to win $120 total)
Carson Hocevar: +1100 (bet $10 to win $120 total)
Ryan Blaney: +1400 (bet $10 to win $150 total)
Chase Elliott: +1400 (bet $10 to win $150 total)
Brad Keselowski: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Ty Gibbs: +2000 (bet $10 to win $210 total)
Ross Chastain: +2200 (bet $10 to win $230 total)
Chris Buescher: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Bubba Wallace: +2800 (bet $10 to win $290 total)
Alex Bowman: +2800 (bet $10 to win $290 total)
Austin Dillon: +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total)
Joey Logano: +4500 (bet $10 to win $460 total)
Connor Zilisch: +4500 (bet $10 to win $460 total)

Austin Hill: +4500 (bet $10 to win $460 total)
Austin Cindric: +5500 (bet $10 to win $560 total)
Ryan Preece: +9000 (bet $10 to win $910 total)
Ricky Stenhouse Jr.: +9000 (bet $10 to win $910 total)
Michael McDowell: +9000 (bet $10 to win $910 total)
Corey Heim: +9000 (bet $10 to win $910 total)
Erik Jones: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)
Shane van Gisbergen: +13000 (bet $10 to win $1,310 total)
AJ Allmendinger: +15000 (bet $10 to win $1,510 total)
Daniel Suarez: +17000 (bet $10 to win $1,710 total)
Josh Berry: +18000 (bet $10 to win $1,810 total)
John Hunter Nemechek: +25000 (bet $10 to win $2,510 total)
Zane Smith: +35000 (bet $10 to win $3,510 total)
Ty Dillon: +50000 (bet $10 to win $5,010 total)
Noah Gragson: +50000 (bet $10 to win $5,010 total)
Todd Gilliland: +60000 (bet $10 to win $6,010 total)
Riley Herbst: +60000 (bet $10 to win $6,010 total)
Cole Custer: +80000 (bet $10 to win $8,010 total)
Katherine Legge: +90000 (bet $10 to win $9,010 total)
Timmy Hill: +100000 (bet $10 to win $10,010 total)
Cody Ware: +100000 (bet $10 to win $10,010 total)

Here’s what to know about the oddsboard:

The Favorite 

Denny Hamlin is coming in hot off an All-Star Race win at Dover. And while it wasn’t a points race, coming into Charlotte after starting from the pole and leading 103 laps in last week’s exhibition could give him the momentum he needs to grab the checkered flag at the Coke 600. His first and only win at this race came in 2022. In 2025, he started 20th but finished 16th after posting the best lap of the day at 29.37 and leading 53 laps.

One to Watch

Tyler Reddick is having an incredible season. He’s gotten into Victory Lane five times, including the first three races of the year. Cup qualifying got rained out, so Reddick will start from the pole today at Charlotte in accordance with league rules. On the season, Reddick has led 201 laps and has eight finishes in the top five. In 2025, he finished the Coca-Cola 600 26th after leading only one lap.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

WWE Hall of Famer Nikki Bella opens up about what she wants fans to remember her for when she retires

Published

on

WWE Hall of Famer Nikki Bella opens up about what she wants fans to remember her for when she retires


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

One of the best things to debate amongst friends is where professional athletes of a particular sport rank all time. Some make top 10 lists, others go by the Mount Rushmore rule.

Pro wrestling fans are no different. Championships, legacy and impact on the sport matter to those who take the time to watch wrestling 3-6 times per week for decades. How pro wrestlers are remembered by their fans is important to them.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Nikki Bella confronts Becky Lynch during Monday Night RAW at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Aug. 4, 2025. (Michael Marques/WWE)

For WWE Hall of Famer Nikki Bella, she suggested in an interview with Fox News Digital that her championship accolades should be put aside. Using her voice to have an effect on someone watching her in an arena or at home is more important.

“I would love definitely to be remembered as fearless, as someone who wasn’t scared to use her voice, someone who wasn’t scared to pave the ways, someone who wasn’t scared to stand up to all the hate, who can still be her even when people try to tear you down,” Bella said, who became the Chief Margarita Officer for Madam Paleta Tequila earlier in the week. “What I’ve realized, and this is in any industry and this is throughout time, it’s never easy to be first or be the loudest about something. And there’s so many people who helped pave the way before us but when you’re at the forefront or when you’re at the face of that, you take on everything that comes with it – hate, love, support, everything.

WWE STAR LIV MORGAN OPENS UP ABOUT HER LEGACY, WHAT SHE WANTS TO BE REMEMBERED FOR

Nikki Bella standing in the ring at Monday Night RAW in Phoenix, Arizona

Nikki Bella returns to Monday Night RAW at PHX Arena in Phoenix, Ariz., on June 9, 2025. (Craig Ambrosio/WWE)

“I think that’s where I truly live up to being ‘Fearless’ Nikki, I just don’t stop. Even when I’m not at my best or when I’m at my greatest. I hope at the end of the day, people can look back and respect that too – even the ones who can be so disrespectful. They see things in such a different way and they really just don’t know. I hope to be remembered as that over anything.”

Bella said she understood that fans will look at her titles and accolades overall when she eventually decides to step away from action for good.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

She was a two-time Divas champion, including holding the championship for a record 300 days, and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame with her sister, Brie Bella, in 2020.

She stressed, however, that the impact she made was held in high regard above everything else.

“I get some people get hooked on champion numbers, like 13 time, 10 time, five time, you know, for me, it’s always been about impact,” she told Fox News Digital. “And if the people tuning in, I was able to change some people’s lives. Maybe they were being raised in a not great home and I gave them the ability to be fearless and to use their voice to know they could be someone great one day, to me, that’s being a champion and that’s what I’d love to be more than anything. I look at my Bella Army and they are my true accomplishment.

Nikki Bella speaking to crowd at Mortgage Matchup Center in Phoenix

Nikki Bella addresses the crowd during SmackDown at Mortgage Matchup Center in Phoenix, Ariz., on March 13, 2026. (Bradlee Rutledge/WWE)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“That is better than any championship I could ever win, ever.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending